Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

I'm a metal fan and i'll pass on Brutal Legend

• 54 results
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By demonbear

The reviews are in, the game is great!

I love metal
    I love Jack Black
    I love Tim Shaefer

I should be totally into this right?
    A couple of hours ago, i was still suppose to buy Brutal Legend, its right up my alley. But I won't

a 5 hour single player story thats mostly a tutorial for the multiplayer? Really?  I played that game already, its  called Chromehounds ( those who played know what i'm talking about ).

I'm passing on this, see you in the bargain bin in a couple of years Brutal Legend.

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By uberpwner93

I am into those three things as well, but I also will not be purchasing this game.

The soundtrack is killer though! I never thought I would see Iced Earth's music in a video game. Oh well, by the looks of it the game should have a price drop in the near future and that is when I will pick it up.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By asurastrike

I was worried as soon as I realized the review embargo wasn't up until the day the game came out. That's not showing a lot of confidence.

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uberpwner93
    @Asurastrike said:
    " I was worried as soon as I realized the review embargo wasn't up until the day the game came out. That's not showing a lot of confidence. "
    I was thinking the exact same thing earlier. To my knowledge, there has never been a really great game that has had the embargo date on the release date.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

Going to wait till I can pick it up for under $20.  So i'll be playing it in 3 years or so.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By asurastrike
    @uberpwner93 said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " I was worried as soon as I realized the review embargo wasn't up until the day the game came out. That's not showing a lot of confidence. "
    I was thinking the exact same thing earlier. To my knowledge, there has never been a really great game that has had the embargo date on the release date. "
    I think you're right. Uncharted 2 and Forza 3 both had embargo dates like 2 weeks before release.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Snipzor

To hell with the review, still buying it in 9 hours. To hell with it.

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uberpwner93
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @uberpwner93 said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    I was thinking the exact same thing earlier. To my knowledge, there has never been a really great game that has had the embargo date on the release date. "
    I think you're right. Uncharted 2 and Forza 3 both had embargo dates like 2 weeks before release. "
    I got Uncharted 2 today, and I tell you what... no lie with the reviews. The game is simply fantastic.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By asurastrike
    @uberpwner93 said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @uberpwner93 said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    I think you're right. Uncharted 2 and Forza 3 both had embargo dates like 2 weeks before release. "
    I got Uncharted 2 today, and I tell you what... no lie with the reviews. The game is simply fantastic. "
    Yeah it's great. I played it for 4 hours in one sitting and had to force myself to quit so I could finish my homework.
    CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By CountRockula

Yeah, the length just kills me.  I know I'll never even touch the mulitplayer, so to hearing that the single-player is only 4-5 hours long is a real deal-breaker for me.  Kind of depressing; I was really looking forward to this one.

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uberpwner93
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @uberpwner93 said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @uberpwner93 said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    I got Uncharted 2 today, and I tell you what... no lie with the reviews. The game is simply fantastic. "
    Yeah it's great. I played it for 4 hours in one sitting and had to force myself to quit so I could finish my homework. "
    That kind of sucks. I mean, homework is important and all, but Uncharted 2 is just epic. Luckily, I'm stuck home from school for a week with swine flu. So I got to play is 7 hours straight today.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

ooooooooh bad new for Brutal Legend

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Quality over quantity, dudes.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten to the point where games longer than five hour quickly lose my interest and rarely get completed. Five hours is like my magic number, not too much, just enough. Satsified.  

And really? The game is half a tutorial? Who says this?

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By demonbear
    @Gorillawhat said:

" I've gotten to the point where games longer than five hour quickly lose my interest and rarely get completed. Five hours is like my magic number, not too much, just enough. Satsified.   And really? The game is half a tutorial? Who says this? "

" n a way, the single-player game--which, if you stick strictly to the story missions, can be knocked out in around four hours--almost feels like a lengthy tutorial for the multiplayer, which breaks the RTS element out onto its own." - Ryan Davis, Giantbomb.com 

You're welcome.

@Relys said:

" Cool story bro.

So why don't you make a thread about it where everyone else can continue to not give a goddamn fuck?  I will continue to play the goodness that is Brutal Legend. "

Other people in this thread are in the same situation as me, so this thread is legit. People will disagree with you on the internet some times, you have to learn to deal with it, boy. I know its hard, but ask mommy and daddy, they'll help.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By delta_ass
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " Quality over quantity, dudes. "
    Kinda looks bad next to games that manage to have both quality and quantity though.
    SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I'm with the OP.  Cept I am renting it and I don't really like Jack Black.  He almost got Will Smith killed.  Seriously, not cool.  Teaming up with Seth Green and Jamie Kennedy to kill Jason Lee... WTF! 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Delta_Ass:
    Look at Call of Duty 4. Maybe complained that it's single player was too short. However, the single player was totally incredible. Easily the best war game campaign I've ever played. Totally unforgettable. It was epic. You could probably argue that like Brutal Legend, it's a short great campaign that sets you up for lots of hours and awesome multiplayer. Sounds pretty rad to me. No complaints with that.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snipzor
    @demonbear said:
    " @Relys said:
    " Cool story bro.

So why don't you make a thread about it where everyone else can continue to not give a goddamn fuck?  I will continue to play the goodness that is Brutal Legend. "
    I'm soprry man but this thread proves i'm not alone, so this thread is legit, you don't like it? Wow. someone disagrees with someone else on the internet., who knew? Grow up, boy. "
    There is no legitimacy in this thread. Especially since you base your bullshit opinion on Ryan Davis stating that a strict story mission run will net you four hours (Which is hyperbole anyways, also it is intellectually dishonest as NOBODY hammers through a Tim Schafer game without enjoying the aesthetic presentation). Everyone who agrees with you, in this case, can't read for shit. No offense to that group, but they either don't know how to read, how to play a game, or how to read other reviews stating it isn't four hours long!
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Cube

'Kay. The game rocks, but whatever you say.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By demonbear
    @Snipzor said:
    " There is no legitimacy in this thread. Especially since you base your bullshit opinion on Ryan Davis stating that a strict story mission run will net you four hours (Which is hyperbole anyways, also it is intellectually dishonest as NOBODY hammers through a Tim Schafer game without enjoying the aesthetic presentation). Everyone who agrees with you, in this case, can't read for shit. No offense to that group, but they either don't know how to read, how to play a game, or how to read other reviews stating it isn't four hours long! "
    Good for you, really, i'm happy inside. Thanks for that.
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By bonbolapti

I like how you have three reasons why you should pick it up, but you don't want to. 
    I mean, you sold it for me regardless lol. 

Granted, I probably won't play the multiplayer either, but it's got enough in it for me to support it :) 

but really, it's a shame about how it's turning out.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By asurastrike
    @Cube said:

" 'Kay. The game rocks, but whatever you say. "

People are so aggressive towards people with different opinions, I love it.
    uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uberpwner93
    @Snipzor said:
    " @demonbear said: 
    There is no legitimacy in this thread. Especially since you base your bullshit opinion on Ryan Davis stating that a strict story mission run will net you four hours (Which is hyperbole anyways, also it is intellectually dishonest as NOBODY hammers through a Tim Schafer game without enjoying the aesthetic presentation). Everyone who agrees with you, in this case, can't read for shit. No offense to that group, but they either don't know how to read, how to play a game, or how to read other reviews stating it isn't four hours long! "
    Did I ever state why I wasn't buying the game? All I said was that I wasn't buying the game and that is what I was agreeing with. Not buying the game.  It doesn't have all the appeal to me, and the fact that it seem that Jack Black was even considered for the game was because he was in a mock-rock/metal band.

Tim Schafer is an amazing designer and I do agree that people don't hammer through a Schafer game, it's just unheard of.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c1337us

I am not 100% sure if I am going to get it yet. Depends on how much cash I got after Uncharted 2 first because I want to make sure I still have enough to get Borderlands when its out too.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Snipzor
    @demonbear said:

" @Snipzor said:

" There is no legitimacy in this thread. Especially since you base your bullshit opinion on Ryan Davis stating that a strict story mission run will net you four hours (Which is hyperbole anyways, also it is intellectually dishonest as NOBODY hammers through a Tim Schafer game without enjoying the aesthetic presentation). Everyone who agrees with you, in this case, can't read for shit. No offense to that group, but they either don't know how to read, how to play a game, or how to read other reviews stating it isn't four hours long! "
    Good for you, really, i'm happy inside. Thanks for that. "
    I'm a little pissed about that one point about length. Mainly because its a crappy point that holds no ground. I'm sure you would understand if I told you that... well what ever you liked was crap because of some irrelevant non-existent problem. 

@Asurastrike: I stand by what I said... so I'll be more specific. 

People who change their minds over the game because of length are ****. I can't write for poop right now because it's 2:30 in the morning and I'm slightly sick, I hope that clears things up.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cube
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Cube said:

" 'Kay. The game rocks, but whatever you say. "

People are so aggressive towards people with different opinions, I love it. "
    I know, I don't understand why.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By asurastrike
    @Snipzor said:
    " @demonbear said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    I'm a little pissed about that one point about length. Mainly because its a crappy point that holds no ground. I'm sure you would understand if I told you that... well what ever you liked was crap because of some irrelevant non-existent problem. "
    Actually he never said it was crappy. Also, game length is a big issue to many people.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By demonbear
    @Snipzor said:

" @demonbear said:

I'm a little pissed about that one point about length. Mainly because its a crappy point that holds no ground. I'm sure you would understand if I told you that... well what ever you liked was crap because of some irrelevant non-existent problem. "
    It is a problem for me. I don't play multiplayer. If i want to play multiplayer games, i'll play Battlefield or an mmo. Theres no way in hell i would see me playing the BL multiplayer ever.

And if I play a Tim Shaefer game i want to play it for his writing. Now if you say to me this game is 5 hours long and it all culminates, gameplaywise, to the multiplayer, im outta there, sorry. 70 canadian bucks is too much to ask for that.  But hey, have fun, enjoy it. In the meantime i'll be playing Uncharted 2.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Snipzor
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @demonbear said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    Actually he never said it was crappy. Also, game length is a big issue to many people. "
    No no no, I said the point was crappy, and it changed the minds of a lot of people.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By asurastrike
    @Snipzor said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @demonbear said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    Actually he never said it was crappy. Also, game length is a big issue to many people. "
    No no no, I said the point was crappy, and it changed the minds of a lot of people. "
    I changed my mind about he game because I found out it had a lot of RTS elements. Is that an okay reason?
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Snipzor
    @demonbear said:
    " @Snipzor said:

" @demonbear said:

It is a problem for me. I don't play multiplayer. If i want to play multiplayer games, i'll play Battlefield or an mmo. Theres no way in hell i would see me playing the BL multiplayer ever.  And if I play a Tim Shaefer game i want to play it for his writing. Now if you say to me this game is 5 hours long and it all culminates, gameplaywise, to the multiplayer, im outta there, sorry. 70 canadian bucks is too much to ask for that.  But hey, have fun, enjoy it. In the meantime i'll be playing Uncharted 2. "
    5 Hours if you hammer it out, why are you going to hammer a game out (especially a Tim Schafer game) and try to achieve the quickest time? That's what the 5 hour thing is, for those who go through the game as quickly as possible. Other estimates have it 8-10 hours, if you go through it at a regulated pace. 

Regardless, I'm going to bed. It's quite nice that you rely on only one review on the entire internet.
    Slaveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Slaveg
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    After such games like Twilight Princess?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By demonbear
    @Snipzor said:
    " Regardless, I'm going to bed. It's quite nice that you rely on only one review on the entire internet. "
    Yeah, go to bed, you're getting way to defensive about this. Get some sleep and enjoy BL.
    Slaveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slaveg
    @Snipzor said:
    " @demonbear said:
    " @Snipzor said:

" @demonbear said:

It is a problem for me. I don't play multiplayer. If i want to play multiplayer games, i'll play Battlefield or an mmo. Theres no way in hell i would see me playing the BL multiplayer ever.  And if I play a Tim Shaefer game i want to play it for his writing. Now if you say to me this game is 5 hours long and it all culminates, gameplaywise, to the multiplayer, im outta there, sorry. 70 canadian bucks is too much to ask for that.  But hey, have fun, enjoy it. In the meantime i'll be playing Uncharted 2. "
    5 Hours if you hammer it out, why are you going to hammer a game out (especially a Tim Schafer game) and try to achieve the quickest time? That's what the 5 hour thing is, for those who go through the game as quickly as possible. Other estimates have it 8-10 hours, if you go through it at a regulated pace.  Regardless, I'm going to bed. It's quite nice that you rely on only one review on the entire internet. "
    Well, there are only 5 types of missions and slaying "bad guys" for the 3rd time is getting really old, so there's no point in side-missions later in the game. Also, it's only the first plain-desert section of the game that  is kinda sandbox, later it's almost impossible to stray far off from the main road, rushing through mountain, jungle and swamp locations to the end of the game.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Slaveg said:
    " @TheGreatGuero said:
    After such games like Twilight Princess? "
    Twilight Princess was definitely a case of quantity over quality. Definitely not Link's finest adventure. They sure dig drag it out too.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Suicrat

Here's why I don't want to play it: 
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bonbolapti
    @Suicrat said:
    "

Here's why I don't want to play it: 
    It's not Psychonauts 2.
    "

with that attitude there will never be a Psychonauts 2 :P
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By demonbear
    @bonbolapti said:
    with that attitude there will never be a Psychonauts 2 :P "
    Reality check : if Brutal Legend sales are not great, i'm pretty sure this will be Double Fine's last attempt, and therefore, no Psychonauts 2. It IS a financial failure, remember?

Plus they release BL head to head about what is most probably the PS3 Game of the Year 2009. I'm concerned about the financial success of BL.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Diamond
    @demonbear: Brutal Legend's single player is definitely NOT a tutorial for the MP mode...
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bonbolapti
    @demonbear said:
    " @bonbolapti said:
    Reality check : if Brutal Legend sales are not great, i'm pretty sure this will be Double Fine's last attempt, and therefore, no Psychonauts 2."
    Hyper Reality check: that's why I said it. 

If people are Fans of Schafer, they would pick this up. From what I gather, dudes got a lot of fans. The thing I find the weirdest is when no one wants to pick it up just because it has multiplayer. :| 

and saying that it's going head to head with a PS3 means you forget that BL is also for the 360.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @demonbear said:

So you listened to the haters and now you're not going to buy a quality product? Great.  If you rush the single player it will take you 4 hrs, but if you take you're time and do the side missions and collectibles or u know play the game other than for review purposes it w ill take you anywhere from 8-12 hrs. Then there's the really fun multiplayer, seriously dude at lest rent it, you're missing out.
    faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By faustyn
    @demonbear said:
    " @bonbolapti said:
    Reality check : if Brutal Legend sales are not great, i'm pretty sure this will be Double Fine's last attempt, and therefore, no Psychonauts 2. It IS a financial failure, remember?  Plus they release BL head to head about what is most probably the PS3 Game of the Year 2009. I'm concerned about the financial success of BL. " 
    i love the fact that you're concerned with the financial success of brutal legend yet you still won't buy it. that's why psychonauts was a failure. everyone was like '-oh my god this game is awesome! someone should buy it. but not me.' what's wrong with you people? ;o
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @demonbear: Don't listen to reviews and buy the fucking game .
    Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Amorfati
    @uberpwner93 said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    Isn't the embargo down to EA i.e. not down to Tim Schafer and team?
    Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Babble

The majority of reviews have said around 8 hours or 8-10. I don't know where you guys get numbers like 5 if you are looking at more then one review.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By asurastrike
    @Amorfati said:
    " @uberpwner93 said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    Isn't the embargo down to EA i.e. not down to Tim Schafer and team? "
    Yeah, so it seems like EA wasn't that confident.
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#48  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Hey, your loss. I have played for about 3 hours now, and I am about 35% in. Every second of that has been pure, epic metal bliss. I cannot wait to totally finish this, then jump into multiplayer with my brother if he get's it, or I'll just play alone against the A.I.
    There are a lot of reasons to buy this, and very few not to in my opinion.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By demonbear
    @turbomonkey138 said:

" @demonbear: Don't listen to reviews and buy the fucking game . "

I'll buy it..... in a year or so.

@Jeffsekai said:

" @demonbear said:  So you listened to the haters and now you're not going to buy a quality product? Great.  If you rush the single player it will take you 4 hrs, but if you take you're time and do the side missions and collectibles or u know play the game other than for review purposes it w ill take you anywhere from 8-12 hrs. Then there's the really fun multiplayer, seriously dude at lest rent it, you're missing out. "

I didnt listened to haters at all, i do NOT give a fuck about multiplayer, never did, never will. So 70$ for, ok 8, 9 hours or single player? No thanks. Uncharted 2 costs 10 bucks less and gives 12h of single player and then there's coop. Much better deal.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By buzz_killington

Listening to the songs included in the game in an awesome heavy metal fantasy backdrop is enough for me to at least rent for now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.