Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 31, 2017

After twenty-one years in hiatus, Bubsy returns for an all-new side-scrolling adventure. What could paws-ibly go wrong?

Bubsy is back, Baby!

• 63 results
    L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

What did we ever do to deserve this?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

God I hope Jeff is doing the quick look for this

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: I believe Dan tweeted yesterday that he was playing it.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I always wanted to see some Bubsy 3D on this site.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd give my soul to have Jeff play through all of the Bubsy games during Extra Life.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By doctordonkey

Mario Odyssey can go fuck itself. The king has returned to reclaim his throne, and nothing could pawsibly go wrong.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rebel_scum: I believe Dan tweeted yesterday that he was playing it.

That man is sick, sick I tell you!

Phneri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a05ff5271261
    deactivated-5a05ff5271261

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist said:

This is that Bubsy 3d game's fault, isn't it?

Can I throw my hat in the ring here? Now jokes aside....

Bubsy 3d was pretty bad. I played it. But to be fair, every 3d game that wasn't on the tail of Mario 64 was in that day. It really depends on what might qualify for enjoyment by any other name. Side scrollers would see a great revival in things like Castlevania SotN, Megaman 8 and Metal Slug to name a few. Right before all of this crap though, there were the original Mario, Sonic and Bubsy games for their 16 bit counterpart systems.

Some tend not to realize this because of brand and nameplate loyalty, but...

the original Bubsy was a really fun game. I thought what it lacked in the realm of modernity, where a game like Super Mario World really excelled, it made up for with it's humor and colorful pop culture references. Hell, the music in the game was funnier than most of the dialogue and characters. So where Bubsy 1 succeeded in bringing a fun style of a game into being, Bubsy 3d was horsewhipped for being uninspired, buggy and mostly aggravating.

Now who's to say whether some kid these days might pick up Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back and have the same kind of experience I had in 92 when the original came out. It would be difficult to bridge a gap like that, and I don't feel like defending the makers of Bubsy that hard.

I am only pointing out that you can run across a game once in a while that does a decent job of churning out a memorable experience regardless of how you pick up on the subject matter. Here is my humble opinion and impression on all the achievement hunters out there. "I don't buy games because an entire development team partied at Stanford a lot in the 80s." "I usually buy them because they fill an integral part of realizing that I am, beneath all the blood, sinew, shit a completionist," said no one ever.

Now I feel like this post needs a citation tag :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Even the guy I occasionally watch on Twitch who speed runs Bubsy 3D calls out the developers of this game for being lazy and essentially reusing unused assets from another game and throwing in Bubsy and some related enemies.

mclairy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mclairy2

@ohagan said:

Even the guy I occasionally watch on Twitch who speed runs Bubsy 3D calls out the developers of this game for being lazy and essentially reusing unused assets from another game and throwing in Bubsy and some related enemies.

How much do you have to hate yourself to choose speed running Bubsy 3D as a part of your life?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@mclairy2: Dunno, he had the world record for a time.

I find it even more remarkable that someone went to the effort to reclaim the record from him:

Note: This record has been beaten but this was the Twitch streamer I was referring to in the above posts

mattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ok, guess it's not even worth $5.99 on PSN. i've never actually played the orig, but a cheap-ish game I can play in sections would be nice..

Though unlike apparently most of the rest of the world (except Jeff Cannata), *for a free PS+ game*, I thought Knack was somewhat enjoyable... it was a good dumb simple action game I could play in sections like that. If I had paid $20, I would've been annoyed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.