Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bully: Scholarship Edition

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 04, 2008

'Bully: Scholarship Edition' takes place at the fictional New England boarding school Bullworth Academy, and tells the story of mischievous 15-year-old Jimmy Hopkins as he goes through the hilarity and awkwardness of adolescence. Beat the jocks at dodge ball, play pranks on the preppies, save the nerds, kiss the girl.

Okay, who was in charge of the pc port?

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Simplexity

Because I am pretty sure that some guy at rockstar hired his retarded nephew to port this game all by himself.

Having just booted this game up and played around with it for a while after I bought it at the xmas sale I have some issues with it.

1. You know you are in for something truly special when you have to spend 15 minutes reconfiguring keys so they make some sort of sense (left alt to attack seriously?)
     2. It runs like shit, my PC rig is far far faaaaaar beyond the recommended requirements but it still slows down to like single digit FPS at times.
    3. After a race my hand feels like it's going to explode why in the flying fuck do I need to tap the run button to go at a decent speed again?
    4. It crashed 2 times in the 5 hours I played around with it.

Now Rockstars PC ports are often mediocre at best, mostly awful (cough GTA 4 cough) but atleast they somewhat worked, whatever you do, do NOT buy this game on PC not worth it even the 2 dollars I spent on it feels like a ripoff at this point.

/rant off

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ApertureSilence

One hundred percent agreement. Bully is one of my favorite games of all time, but the PC port is an atrocity.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Simplexity
    @MurderByDeath:  I can work around alot of stuff, but I think this is the first game in a long time that just made me lift my hands up in the air and go "fuck this", It's a shame cause I really wanted to play Bully.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Sorry my bad. I made it. I'll do better next time I promise.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Simplexity
    @xyzygy:  You better.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Ineedaname

I plugged in a 360 controller and felt it was fine =(

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By fwylo

Vicious.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I plugged in a 360 controller and felt it was fine =( "
    Yep.
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By JCTango
    @Prodstep said:

" Because I am pretty sure that some guy at rockstar hired his retarded nephew to port this game all by himself.  Having just booted this game up and played around with it for a while after I bought it at the xmas sale I have some issues with it.  1. You know you are in for something truly special when you have to spend 15 minutes reconfiguring keys so they make some sort of sense (left alt to attack seriously?)  2. It runs like shit, my PC rig is far far faaaaaar beyond the recommended requirements but it still slows down to like single digit FPS at times. 3. After a race my hand feels like it's going to explode why in the flying fuck do I need to tap the run button to go at a decent speed again? 4. It crashed 2 times in the 5 hours I played around with it.  Now Rockstars PC ports are often mediocre at best, mostly awful (cough GTA 4 cough) but atleast they somewhat worked, whatever you do, do NOT buy this game on PC not worth it even the 2 dollars I spent on it feels like a ripoff at this point.  /rant off "

Hey prod, did you happen to apply the latest patch (1.2) to the game?  It apparently fixes the problems you described if your system is running with more than 2 gigs of ram.

The game is pretty fun; but the controls for the pc version is a little wonky, like you said :)
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By NickLott

I had the two gigs of ram problem and the latest patch fixed. After that, it wasn't exceedingly great in the performance area but it was okay and didn't crash on me after that. 

I preferred using the 360 controller except in a couple parts where you had to snipe people at which point I switched to the mouse.  

Bully is definitely my favorite Rockstar Game of all time as I've owned it on PS2, 360 and PC. The first 360 game I ever S-Ranked.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Sounds like the fuckers behind the GTA IV port. I can play Crysis at Max settings, but GTA IV runs slower at the lowest possible settings. 
    @Ineedaname
    said:

" I plugged in a 360 controller and felt it was fine =( "
    As much as I advise a 360 controller for PC gamers, this isn't really an excuse. It's silly to expect people to have a gamepad just to have a game feel even decent. Even GTA IV had sprinting as a hold rather than tap.
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Simplexity
    I don't have a wired 360 controller lying around so the game is basically unplayable without it.

Really is a shame, if they spent more than 15 minutes porting this it would've been awesome, but alas.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

Rockstar never had a great port of their games to the PC.  cept maybe San Andreas which i haven't heard too many problems with.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By damodar

Saints Row 2 PC port would have to give it a run for it's money. That thing is mindblowing...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Damodar said:
    " Saints Row 2 PC port would have to give it a run for it's money. That thing is mindblowing... "
    In what way?  The port is fine, the problem was that they recommended specs far too low on the box, below those of the 360.  With a half decent dual core CPU (e6750) and 9600GT I was able to fully complete the game in highest detail sans FSAA.   Played it all the through in co-op with a buddy too.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mcfart

Saints Row 2 is an awful port....

Bully works fine as long as you have 2GB of RAM and either leave Vsync on or turn it off...I forget. One of those is correct.

Also use an xbox controller.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By damodar
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Damodar said:
    " Saints Row 2 PC port would have to give it a run for it's money. That thing is mindblowing... "
    In what way?  The port is fine, the problem was that they recommended specs far too low on the box, below those of the 360.  With a half decent dual core CPU (e6750) and 9600GT I was able to fully complete the game in highest detail sans FSAA.   Played it all the through in co-op with a buddy too. "
    My PC is fine, the problem isn't bad framerate or anything, it's a weird issue (might be win7 only) where it runs too fast. To fix it, you have to get a community made patch, but how much it's sped up differs from cpu to cpu, so you basically have to time a bunch of stuff with a stop watch and work out what percentage you need to slow it down to get it running right. 

It also has apparently has some Win7 issues that stop it from getting priority of the RAM it needs. I don't think I've had any problems with that though. 

It also has some weird graphical glitches for me. Having motion blur turned on must mess with some alpha values or something, because it makes everything translucent. 

It's just a really strange port, because the problems aren't your typical optimisation problems, there are just a handful of odd quirks. It's a bummer that the developers have no intention of doing anything about any of them :(
    Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Echo

Played the PC port a few months ago to completion. Seemed pretty fine to me, except for maybe the washed out textures.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

You should definitely play this on the 360. I never had any of the crashing issues, it doesn't have the CRAZY load times the PS2 version had, and it's graphically better than the Wii version.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Damodar:  The speed issue also affects the same engine in Red Faction : Guerilla.  AFIAK it's only to do with AMD CPUs.  Everything else that you describe sounds like GPU driver woes, specifically ATI ones where they 'optimise' their drivers poorly leading to things like alpha where filled in textures should be.  I've seen that kind of stuff before.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti

Played it with a 360 controler, made it much better.
    Also ran fine and not a single crash, but hey that's PC gaming, experience will vary from rig to rig.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Geno

Bully was an awful port, but to be fair it looks far better than the console version. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.