Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 03, 2014

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise (and the first spearheaded by Sledgehammer Games) brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology (including powered exoskeleton frames and cloaking devices) makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.

Does Advanced Warfare Exist in its Own Universe?

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

For the longest time, I felt like I had a grasp on the Call of Duty "timeline", but ever since Black Ops II came out, I have no idea, and AW ain't helping. So, does anyone know if AW exists in any of the other game's universes? What about Ghosts? Does each developer get their own CoD universe, or does ALL of this tie together somehow??

I realize asking about Call of Duty "lore" is really dumb, but I'd love to know if there's an official answer out there somewhere.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Corevi

The Modern Warfare games are tied together and World at War/Black Ops is tied together. Other than that they are all separate.

Tokyo Drift comes after Modern Warfare 3 though.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They say that they are each in their own universe or whatever, but there really isn't anything that contradictory except for maybe Ghosts. AW takes play in 2054 at the start, almost a full 30 years after Black Ops II. The technology is even fairly consistent. However, even with Ghosts, they never actually give an in-game date, so that could really be shuffled around to wherever, as it's all post apocalyptic anyway. It could either take place immediately after BOII, and just allow society to kind of bounce back over the years, or it could be post-AW. But yeah, outside of that, the timeline isn't really that inconsistent.

1942-1945: World at War

1961-1968: Black Ops

2011: Modern Warfare

2016: Modern Warfare 2

2016-2017: Modern Warfare 3

2025: Black Ops II

2054-2061: Advanced Warfare

?: Ghosts

And don't feel bad, I love talking about crap like this.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Advanced Warfare takes place on Earth 616, and Ghosts is in The Ultimate Universe. Don't worry though, they'll do a crossover when they run out of ideas.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure all the different series exist in their own universes. So, the MW series is one universe, World at War/Black Ops is another, Ghosts is in it's own, and I guess AW is in it's own too. I also think that there will be a Ghosts 2, judging by the way the first one ended, but that game sucked so who knows.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pilgore

I think there are definite separate time lines in the Call of Duty games. Usually they're pretty obvious to see imo.

Modern Warfare: You have the most prominent one, the Modern Warfare time line. That's the first, second and third one. All featuring the same characters but also introducing new ones per entry. Ending with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

World at War/Black Ops: Then you have the Black Ops time line. The Black Ops time line is actually *three* games, not two. Reznov is introduced in World at War, a character that returns in the first Black Ops. The characters in the first Black Ops also feature in Black Ops II so I consider it the second CoD trilogy. This time line ends with Black Ops II (this time line begins in WWII and ends in the future, with robots, drones and lasers, pretty nuts).

Advanced Warfare: Advanced Warfare is the new Modern Warfare so to speak. It is meant to be a new trilogy (they heavily hint at an in-universe sequel, so Advanced Warfare II). So it's the start of a new time line basically.

Ghosts: Ghosts is a one-off and is not tied to any of the other CoD's and seeing how it performed critically and financially I think you can just forget about Ghosts to make life easier.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Crazy Internet Theory Proves Call of Duty and Pixar Share the Same Universe

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

It exists in a universe I want no part of.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I guess so, they aren't really any connections to the three other Call of Duty universes (Modern Warfare, World at War / Black Ops, Ghosts), so I think so, they also heavily imply... actually scratch that I think they directly say "this is only the beginning" at the end of the game, so there will probably be an Advanced Warfare 2.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd say so, Call of Duty is just a brand at this point. Treyarch might continue their own story or whatever along with Infinity Ward.

Kimimatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that AW and ghosts are in the same time line because they are farily connected. In ghosts, on the first mission where the Odin is raining havoc on that town. You can hear something about Atlas taking over the Odin (or something along the lines of that). However, I still don't know if ghosts come before or after aw

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.