Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 03, 2014

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise (and the first spearheaded by Sledgehammer Games) brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology (including powered exoskeleton frames and cloaking devices) makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.

EU Sale on this, worth getting?

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Kinda torn here, have not played a COD game since Modern Warfare 3 so I'm not sure what to pick up. This is on sale on PSN but they also just released that Black Ops 3 multiplayer only thing on Steam. I'm more inclined towards AW since people seemed to like it so much.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@fireprince:

For what it's worth, AW was my second least favorite COD game ever, while Black Ops 3 is my second most favorite COD game ever, right behind Black Ops 1. The only reason AW is only my second least favorite COD title is that I had huge lag compensation problems with MW3.

Also, loads of people hated AW, but not Jeff for whatever reason. Personally, I think it feels like "getting shot in the back, the game". You can jump much much higher than in Black Ops III, so cover feels non-existent.

I ended up prestiging once in Black Ops III to get another create a class slot, then I hit the level cap a second time, and I'm still playing after that. In AW, I never even hit the level cap.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not the biggest COD player, I usually just play the multiplayer for 20 hours and finish the campaign (probably try to get all the achievements) but I thought this was just a lot of fun. The movement is unlike most of the other call of duty games where boosting all over the map can be a lot of fun by itself. The boost mechanic of the game enables you to side and back dashing as well as somewhat of a double-jump/dash-forward and it empowers you to be so mobile. I'm playing BLOP3 now and I liked AW much, much more.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Anecdotally, I hated, hated, hated Advanced Warfare. Hated.

Just generally speaking, my opinion is that very few post-Titanfall shooters have managed to get the thruster-based movement stuff right. What Titanfall did was build maps and encounters around the mechanics, where games like Advanced Warfare and Halo 5 offer more or less the same map and time-to-kill philosophy without truly considering how the newly-frantic pace might upset the balance of those things.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

I'm curious too. Jeff seemed to have really loved it, and while I don't agree with Jeff on various issues we do share a love for all the same shooters. I was mostly curious if I should get this on sale or just get that Dying Light bundle.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Advanced Warfare is the best CoD game in years. Unfortunately I'm in the minority and the player base is very small. The campaign is pretty good, though, and depending on how much it's on sale for it could be worth it for that.

For the record I think Black Ops 3 kiiiiinda sucks.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Capum15

@humanity said:

I'm curious too. Jeff seemed to have really loved it, and while I don't agree with Jeff on various issues we do share a love for all the same shooters. I was mostly curious if I should get this on sale or just get that Dying Light bundle.

Just to put it up front, I haven't played AW (I think my last CoD was MW3), but Dying Light is rad. The combat plays similar to Dead Island but feels nicely refined (also drop kicks feel real good), and once you get used to it the Parkour stuff is an awesome way to traverse the map. Me and a friend burned through that game over a week or two (just a few hours here and there when we had the time) and have just started The Following, which is also pretty cool so far.

Buuut, if you want a shooter instead, probably CoD? They do those pretty well. Though the gun play in Dying Light is also enjoyable (just prepare to fight sprinting jerks after you waste something).

Again, this is coming from someone who hasn't played AW, so grain of salt and all that.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15:

In your first paragraph I was wondering why you were bringing that up and it took me a minute to realize you were pitching a different game altogether haha

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found that the basic movement and shooting was really fun in multiplayer, but I was really switched off by a lot of the progression. You can't really get to grips with it just in the downtime between games and that's a turnoff for me in this kind of game. I have similar problems with Battlefield, actually. The only exception to the basic stuff is that I was not keen on the way grenades handled.

I think I would say it is about on par with MW3, which was my least favourite of the Modern Warfares.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Capum15

@ericjasonwade: Haha, yeah maybe a quote would've worked better than a straight reply.

Edit: That should be better.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The single player is a lot of goofy fun, the multi-player failed to stick with me though

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hell yes. I don't understand the hate for this game. Great campaign and the best COD multiplayer since MW2. The hardcore COD fans (which I am not) seem to not like this game but love BO3, which I really don't like.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's a cool game alround, but the multiplayer of BO3 is way better balanced and the movement is more suited for CoD than the dodging in AW which, like others said, needs different kind of maps and gunplay.

Then again, I would buy Titanfall if I had a Xbox One or PC that could run it.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

COD BO3 MP being available as a standalone on PC is beacuse nobody plays COD on PC, Advanced Warfare PS4/X1 can easily be found cheaper elsewhere.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you're interested in playing multiplayer then don't get AW, 'cause it's not a popular game, at all. Even MW2 has more people still playing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.