Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 03, 2014

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise (and the first spearheaded by Sledgehammer Games) brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology (including powered exoskeleton frames and cloaking devices) makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.

Here we go again: 1080p on PS4, 900p on Xbox One

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Earlier this month, Digital Foundry confirmed that the Xbox One version runs in 900p:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-hands-on-with-cod-advanced-warfare-multiplayer

As played at this year's Gamescom and EGX on Xbox One, multiplayer in Advanced Warfare is a very different beast to the work-in-progress Seoul campaign mission shown at Microsoft's E3 event.

Running at a native 1600x900 at both events (a boost from the E3-era 882p), little has changed to Xbox One's rendering setup for multiplayer, suggesting this number is a lock for all modes in the final release.

Opaque panels now line the screen's edges, showing the map, bullet counter and target points - rendered in the same pass as the actual gameplay. To our pixel count, these element are upscaled from the same 900p base resolution as the core gunplay - a mix-up for a series which, until now, delivered HUDs at the highest resolution possible, independent of the 3D rendering side.

Meanwhile, a NeoGAF member recently posted a direct feed image of the PS4 version, which was then confirmed to be 1080p native. Of course, the Xbox One version could get a day one update that would increase the resolution, but with the game's release only four days away, I have to think that we would have heard that announcement by now.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Here we go again with meaningless numbers.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Has anyone seen the damn I'm supposed to give? I can't find it anywhere.

I just want to play the game. I really hope the pre-release footage and info isn't misleading and Sledgehammer has succeed and giving the series a much needed kick in the pants.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Eh. Framerate differences is what really counts far as I'm concerned, and I imagine both versions in that regard will be pretty comparable if not the exact same.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080p doesn't really mean much if it doesn't run at least passably smooth...

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Its so hard to tell 900 from 1080. If the overall texture quality remains the same there really isnt a reason to care. Overall quality is much more important then 720p-900p-1080p.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GiantLizardKing

The reason to complain about this should largely go away now that the xbo is fifty dollars cheaper than the PS4. Sure it's less powerful, it's a cheaper console. That's not to say that it will go away. That definitely won't happen.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good. Parity sucks. 1080 is native resolution for most modern day tv's. No upscaling is always better.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@giantlizardking said:

The reason to complain about this should largely go away now that the xbo is fifty dollars cheaper than the PS4. Sure it's less powerful, it's a cheaper console. That's not to say that it will go away. That definitely won't happen.

In the UK they're still the same price as one another, least on Amazon. Matter of fact a regular PS4 is £4 cheaper than a regular XB1.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Honestly I wish games on consoles were just 720p and tried for 60fps. You could probably even make the actual graphics prettier if you did that. So disappointed devs are always going for the highest resolution they can reach, especially since the consoles clearly don't handle it well. So tired of games barely running at even 30fps most of the time.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadying: BUT 1080 IS A HIGHER NUMBER THAN 720! THAT MEANS IT IS BETTER!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@amikron: WELL SHIT THAT'S TRUE, NEVER MIND ME

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By notnert427

That 180p is critical. What's most important to me is pausing a game, taking a screenshot, zooming in on a blade of grass, and going back and forth between that and another screenshot with slightly more p for several minutes squinting to try and figure out if the blade of grass might look marginally better on the one with more p. That's gaming in its purest form.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If it doesn't matter to you, then that's fine. It matters to some people, however, and I don't see the need for some people to be dismissive and sarcastic about it. Technical specs are important and worth discussing.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Honestly I wish games on consoles were just 720p and tried for 60fps. You could probably even make the actual graphics prettier if you did that. So disappointed devs are always going for the highest resolution they can reach, especially since the consoles clearly don't handle it well. So tired of games barely running at even 30fps most of the time.

Agreed. Having 60fps is way more important to me. Give me a smooth frame rate and then whatever resolution your game can handle. Thankfully, COD is always a 60fps game. Now that You Tube allows 60fps video, it should help developers and publishers take frame rate a lot more seriously.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By aurahack

Don't worry, you guys. They have a day-one patch that'll achieve parity on both consoles and PC. They even released a screenshot of the improved™ experience.

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ok. The Xbox One is a weaker console and they shouldn't hold back the PS4 version because of it.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the x1 is cheaper now so i dont see the need for this anymore. You get what you pay for.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Sterling

Has anyone seen the damn I'm supposed to give? I can't find it anywhere.

No Caption Provided

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

What is this, System Wars?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.