Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Black Ops II advertising

Avatar image for thematrixonline
    TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a CoD hater, and I will probably be buying Black Ops II at launch. But does anyone here think that they are doing a terrible job advertising this game? I feel like all of their previous CoD games had really epic, enticing ads that got me excited for the game. The ads I've been seeing recently on youtube and whatever seem super lame. A good example is the new ad featuring Robert Downey Jr. (for only about 3 seconds). Yes there are a lot of explosions in the trailer, but watching it didn't make me interested in the game in the least. I will say that the very first trailer that they showed for the game was actually really awesome, but the rest have been fairly uninteresting.

I dunno I just wanted to see if other people felt the same way about these Black Ops ads, do you think dumb ads will hinder the game sales at all or is this gonna be the best selling game of all time?

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tylea002

Holy shit, just saw that ad. It made me want to play a game, but not the one they're advertising. The one where you can ride a horse through a city throwing grenades off it to take out people in the middle of an apocalyptic war.

But not Call of Duty.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By _Zombie_

It's a CoD game. It's gonna sell well, regardless of marketing quality.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Baillie

The problem is they don't really need to show more gameplay or whatever, they just need to make people aware when it's coming out. So if you've seen the ad, you now know the release date and will most likely buy it.

Yep, Call of Duty is that big now.

TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

Right, obviously it's going to sell very well compared to most games. I guess I'm more curious about how well it's going to sell compared to Call of Duty games because of its dumb ads.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By _Zombie_

@TheMatrixOnline said:

Right, obviously it's going to sell very well compared to most games. I guess I'm more curious about how well it's going to sell compared to Call of Duty games because of its dumb ads.

Considering how many regular MP players will want to transfer over to the new game? Probably about as well as the last games, if not slightly better.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I think the commercial that's been playing on TV (I think it's the same as the launch trailer?) looks pretty sweet. My dad commented that it looked cool and he doesn't give a shit about games at all.

TheMatrixOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheMatrixOnline

@PeasantAbuse: OK yeah I just looked black ops TV ad on youtube, and that was a really epic trailer. I don't watch much TV so that's probably why I hadn't seen it. Still I think a lot of the trailers are pretty dumb, but this one is definitely awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIFQFS4Krm4

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

The commercials are big and dumb and I think that's pretty perfect for the series, and I say that as a fan. They're doing a better job at least then Medal of Honor did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.