Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

dropshots?

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xdaknightx69

so this is my first modern COD and i notice a lot of people like to dropshoot (go prone) if they think they are going to die. does that ever work?

i have pretty much killed everyone that ever tried it with me and wondering if its just muscle memory/habit or a valid tactic.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

It was really effective in the previous games, so anyone who did it before is going to keep doing it. I too have killed most enemies that have tried it on me, so maybe Treyarch made it harder to do or something.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Killercombo

most people do it because people forget to shoot downwards and so they get the kill and survive the fight

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laserbolts

Probably one of the more annoying things people do in the call of duty games. If you're decent at the game though it's easy to kill drop shotters.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By dethfish

It's just a thing people do to try and give them the advantage in a one on one firefight. Some people can definitely make it work for them and stomp everyone, and some people try to imitate them and fail miserably by dropshotting about 2 seconds too late. I personally have never tried to do it because my brain prefers the "Pull left trigger, then right trigger" strategy.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

It can be effective if used sparingly by the other team if you KNOW someone is going to do it though you can beat them every time. Usually people will put crouch on the trigger so they can drop without lifting their thumb off the right stick. The effectiveness of the technique is completely dependent on catching someone by surprise.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xdaknightx69

i used to play BFBC2 and BF3 so never got into the habit. i guess dropshots might work if you are playing on console but i play on PC and it just seems dumb to me lol.

i normally just jump over the guy and knife him in the back or just get a head shot out of it.

i have only seen a few guys pull it of (on console) and they used to compete in MLG.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JaredA

@laserbolts: Why is it annoying? Most of the time it doesn't work, but every now and then your opponent won't be able to react in time and you will get a kill where you otherwise might have died. To me, it's in the same category as jump shots, reload cancelling, and quick-scoping. Just different things to put in your bag o' tricks to give you the upper hand in a fight!

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By VoshiNova

Dolphin Dive?

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By OneManX

Always Be Dolphin Diving... Kill Confirmed was made so I could Dolphin Dive to grab dog tags.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By jkz

You'd be surprised how effective it is. I don't do it in every firefight, but if someone gets a drop on me (or gets in the first couple hits) it's a good way to push their aim a little off where it has to be. It's like strafing to avoid sprays in Counterstrike, or jump-strafing in Halo, it's just another thing for the person shooting at you to have to account for. And if they're bad at the game (which a good portion of COD's community is), you can pretty much dominate a match just by taking advantage of their aim climbing steadily upward since they don't counter recoil whatsoever.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

See it very rarely when I play. When it happens, the guy usually gets shot to shit in half a second. Then again, I play on the PC. Turning my aim down to riddle someone with bullets takes less time than the bloody prone animation does. Aiming down, or jumping over him and shooting him in the back of the head, for all that matters.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deathstriker666

Going prone allows less exposure against enemy fire and better recoil control. Every sequential Call of Duty title has let you go prone. This is nothing new.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hungry

Yeah I have never understood why it is looked down upon in the Call of Duty community. When I was playing the original Modern Warfare (or maybe it was the second one) in high school with some of my friends they said I shouldn't "dropshot like a faggot" and it baffled me to no end since it was allowing me to kill them. I just told them they should get better at the game they play if I can beat them and never play it. Not a fan though, UT and Quake Arena are more my speed.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cyraxible

@deathstriker666: This thread is about diving to prone not going prone.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By laserbolts

Dolphin diving is not drop shotting.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By JoelTGM

Hmm, so an enemy and I run into eachother, and he drops to the floor... now he's totally limited his movement and is hoping I will panic and forget how to look down. He's not much smaller of a target because I am looking down on him and can still shoot him up head to toe. I just don't really see the point. I mean in BF2 people would dolphin dive, but that's an exploit that doesn't exist anymore. In modern shooters like Black Ops 2 they make it so dropping to prone limits movement and then causes a delay as you stand back up.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xdaknightx69

@VoshiNova: @cyraxible: @deathstriker666: its not about going prone/ dolphin diving, attaching a video to explain drop shots

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Akyho

See alot of people are saying "Drop shots arnt all that good, The guy gets shot up and I kill him even when he drops perfectly."

That is not the case for me. Why? Because when they put in those little heat indicators for WERE you shot the enemy. All my shots are on the upper body to head. I go for head shots. 90% of COD players shots on me and other people are all over the legs mainly the crotch.

Why the Crotch? Because they play enough they dont try to headshot since Dropshotters have ruined that, so instead EVERYONE aims for the crotch and legs to counter ALL dropshots and its easier to hit than head shots.

I played Halo alot and headshots are the main way to kill in that. So COD is the opposite for me to play. Hell Counter Strike 1.6, Source and Global Strike is what I am used to ontop. So trying to make me shoot legs is very hard for me to break...so I dont play COD anymore due to such "Tricks".

Max Payne 3 I saw the same from players....except Id usually win as I would headshot vs Legshot.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By huntad

@Akyho said:

See alot of people are saying "Drop shots arnt all that good, The guy gets shot up and I kill him even when he drops perfectly."

That is not the case for me. Why? Because when they put in those little heat indicators for WERE you shot the enemy. All my shots are on the upper body to head. I go for head shots. 90% of COD players shots on me and other people are all over the legs mainly the crotch.

Why the Crotch? Because they play enough they dont try to headshot since Dropshotters have ruined that, so instead EVERYONE aims for the crotch and legs to counter ALL dropshots and its easier to hit than head shots.

I played Halo alot and headshots are the main way to kill in that. So COD is the opposite for me to play. Hell Counter Strike 1.6, Source and Global Strike is what I am used to ontop. So trying to make me shoot legs is very hard for me to break...so I dont play COD anymore due to such "Tricks".

Max Payne 3 I saw the same from players....except Id usually win as I would headshot vs Legshot.

This is a very valid argument, and maybe that's why I'm doing so poorly and don't want to play anymore. Playing Counter-Strike excessively as a kid, as well as Halo, taught me that headshots are key. Heck, even UT2004 I went for headshots since I would use the lightning gun a lot. In CoD I find that I go for body shots all of the time and hope that their gun does less damage. I hate it.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NathanStack

I've been playing on the PC and leaning has been far more useful than droppshotting so far.

Quickly tapping Q or E to pop out from around a corner of from behind a box and burst firing has saved my ass so many times. I'm glad they put it back in the game.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Wacomole

Are they really that frowned upon?

From watching the Gamespot "Now Playing" video of the game, I notice that they've now "legitimized" drop-shots by actually giving point bonuses for doing them (along with a big ol' "Drop Shot" icon in the centre of the screen). So the developer obviously believes they're fair game. I can't recall any of the previous iterations rewarding them this way, but I may be wrong.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm

@OneManX said:

Always Be Dolphin Diving... Kill Confirmed was made so I could Dolphin Dive to grab dog tags.

I thought I was the only one.

The only time I dropshot, or dolphin dive or whatever is when it's in a game such as Hardpoint where it's best to be a small a target as possible, and diving for dog tags in Kill Confirmed. It's also a good tactic to use if you have the Lightweight and Extreme Conditioning perks while running around with a knife and a pistol. I don't use it mid-one on one bout to gain an edge. I only use it for navigational purposes. I feel if you spend too much time not shooting when you're being shot at, you're going to die.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TooSweet

I do it quite a bit. Not all the time it's just a bad habit. Mostly it's cause I suck with the right joystick and end up pressing the button to knife while shooting someone. I've died some many times cause of it. Then I found out I can change it so I can drop instead. It's annoying when I'm behind an object because sometimes I end up just dropping and shooting at whatever is blocking me but it's helped a lot overall.

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Ronald

Most of the people who do it aren't even trying. They switch their control schemes because the RS/R3 button can be pretty sensitive so if you are strafing and shooting you accidentally knife at the guy which stops you from shooting and you have to recover from the knife. Switch to crouch/lie on that button and now all that happens is you lie down when you do it. Of course, some players do it all of the time on purpose thinking they have an advantage but most I have known tend to do it because they hold the sticks too heavy, including myself on occasion, though I have gotten better and switched the knife back because I was having a hell of a time knifing people with the B button since you can't turn and knife at the same time on that control scheme.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TooSweet

@Ronald: Oh man, I'm still trying to not have heavy thumbs but when the action starts sometimes it's like an instant trigger. But I'm working on it. I'd love to have the thumb back for knifing instead. I've considered those controls that allow for stabbing at the paddles but "the price is too damn high". In the meantime more practice needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.