Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Let's Talk About the Future of Call of Duty

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@Cowman said:

@Jethuty said:

@Dalai said:

It would be hilarious if CLOPS unexpectedly pulled a Valve and was delayed until 2025.

Clops?

really?

You know it's not that bad now that I think about it.

I wonder if we can make that name stick.

how the fuck did you get from Blops to Clops?

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By Palaeomerus

I think someone at Activision peered into my mind and realized that I secretly want to kill a big-dog robot strapped with explosives with a KSG bullpup shotgun in a business park to protect some firemen.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By fattony12000

Call of Blops.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#104  Edited By Sam_lfcfan

Did not expect to be this interested in a Call of Duty game. Really surprised they're changing this much.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105  Edited By VisariLoyalist

can I just say right of the bat that rare earth elements are actually supremely easy to come by. It's simply an extremely costly process to remove the trace amounts from tons and tons of rock. So if China completely blocked off the sale of such things there would be no price advantage and countries would start making their own.

Just something that makes me think this is another corny action movie type game that doesn't have to make any sort of sense.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By JakJ

Okay kids. I bought CoD2 with the 360 on launch night. Loved it. I got burned by Treyarch with CoD3 back in '06 and held a grudge- didn't buy WaW til it was $15 in 2010. Loved CoD4, and MW2. Thought IW was the cream of the crop - then the breakup happened.

I know MW3 would suffer from it, but the game turned out even lower than I anticipated. Meanwhile Treyarch somehow got good. Any gamer who played it and has some balls will admit that Black Ops was a pretty good fucking game. After the death of IW, I thought the franchise was dead. However, after seeing this trailer, I think that CoD may just have a little life left in it after all.

MrWrighty987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By MrWrighty987

This looks really interesting.

Smokey_Earhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Smokey_Earhole

". In fact, it's not hard to conduct a headline search or two and discover all types of talk about China's stranglehold on these increasingly vital substances, and it's even easier to find people talking about the eventuality of a new Cold War rising out of all this."

Uhm yeah...that's not really at all what the Cold War was all about. That rose up due to differing ideologies post-WW2, this game is presumably about the struggle regarding dwindling natural ressources. Pretty big difference.

Kruddman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By Kruddman

2025: The Consumer Wars. Gotta have a new iPhone every year or I'm going to kill someone.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By DeF

@DystopiaX said:

Wow sounds like they actually have changed COD...

this is how you know the world is ACTUALLY gonna end this year.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#111  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

Pretty fascinating. I'm glad Treyarch seem to get a shot at doing something great since they are a very good developer with a lot of potential in my opinion. I'm thrilled to read this actually might be a CoD game I personally care about again. I hope their aspirations turn out succesful and this isn't just an attempt at halfway fooling people into thinking it'll be something different than the established CoD formula but for now there's no reason not to remain optimistic. The near-future take on a cold war does sound interesting for a start.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By penguindust

So, what's the projected running length of the single-player campaign? I don't play multiplayer and I'm not interested in yet another 6 hour single-player COD game. Say what you will about Halo, but their campaigns are a worth a considerable chunk of your time. In recent years, COD campaigns have been little more than tutorials for competitive online-play wrapped in a Jerry Bruckheimer plot. I won't pay retail for that, so I hope this new direction addresses some of my concerns.

beomoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By beomoose

Ok, but if we have Metal Storm or even just Caseless Ammunition in 2025 why is young David rocking 2005's own XM8?

JamrockZX7R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By JamrockZX7R

@Smokey_Earhole:

So are you saying that a new Cold War cannot happen unless its about the same things that started the original Cold War?? Nowhere in the excerpt you pulled did Jeff say that the search fir vital resources is what prompted the original Cold War. That excerpt is about a new Cold War starting and the point of conflict that could lead us down road.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By probablytuna

Well it's certainly nice that they are actually putting some effort in to create something new for the series than just rehashing everything or reiterating on the same mechanics from past games. Whether or not they can pull of the open-ended level design among other things remains to be seen.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#116  Edited By yukoasho

@Smokey_Earhole said:

". In fact, it's not hard to conduct a headline search or two and discover all types of talk about China's stranglehold on these increasingly vital substances, and it's even easier to find people talking about the eventuality of a new Cold War rising out of all this."

Uhm yeah...that's not really at all what the Cold War was all about. That rose up due to differing ideologies post-WW2, this game is presumably about the struggle regarding dwindling natural ressources. Pretty big difference.

While the standoff with the USA and USSR was definitely a case of ideological opposition, a "cold war" can be any sort of prolonged period of political/military tension marked by espionage, economic pressure and, of course, proxy wars.

To quote Wikipedia:

A cold war or cold warfare is a state of conflict between nations that does not involve direct military action but is pursued primarily through economic and political actions, propaganda, acts of espionage or proxy wars waged by surrogates. The surrogates are typically states that are "satellites" of the conflicting nations, i.e., nations allied to them or under their political influence. Opponents in a cold war will often provide economic or military aid, such as weapons, tactical support or military advisors, to lesser nations involved in conflicts with the opposing country.

It's hard not to see where the USA and China might end up in such a state, given the symbiotic nature of the relationship between these two countries. Necessity might make for strange bedfellows, but it's only a matter of time before the two sides start wrangling over who gets more of the blanket. This becomes especially true if China's economy collapses under the property bubble that they're so diligently propping up.

Another example of a "cold war" is also listed in the Wikipedia article, the decades-long conflict between Greece and Turkey over who gets what part of Cyprus in the wake of the Ottoman Empire's dissolution in 1923.

While the post-WWII period of tension between the superpowers of the time might have popularized the term, it was neither the first nor the last of this manner of conflict.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Dezztroy

People play CoD professionally?  Ahahaha, that's funny.

grhmhmltn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By grhmhmltn

War has changed...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Tennmuerti

Looking at that robot screenshot: yep still looks like the same old ass engine stuck years in the past. 60 frames isn't hard when the game looks like that and the scale is tiny or scripted.

Fuga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Fuga

fuck i love treyarch

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#121  Edited By jacdg

@Dezztroy said:

People play CoD professionally? Ahahaha, that's funny.

Not really, no.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122  Edited By Arebuckle

I told myself no CoDs after MW3. But damn it, this has me intrigued!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#123  Edited By Humanity

@Dezztroy said:

Tons of kids on YouTube that post CoD gameplay and get YouTube sponsorships that make enough money to buy a new Benz.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#124  Edited By korolev

Well, they deserve credit for trying something new. Whether or not that will get me to buy it is another matter. But I am glad that they are trying something new.

And there won't be a cold war with China over rare earth metals. China has the market now, because it had the foresight to develop mines and capabilities to extract those rare earth metals. Those same metals and elements can be found all over the world - Australia has a lot of rare earth metals, but we just aren't mining them. If China puts the squeeze on rare earth metals, then sure, we'll have trouble for a couple of years, but then the rest of the world will rapidly develop the other sources of Rare Earth Metals and everything will go back to normal. China is the only one mining rare earth metals on a big scale - they aren't the only nation with rare earth metals.

GunsAreDrawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By GunsAreDrawn

Even if this one is good i'm going to miss out as I feel like I wasted money on Black Ops. That game was goofy as hell, the graphics were terrible and the multiplayer was broken.

Maybe if the RTS is done well we can atleast hope for a return of commander mode in the future Battlefield games, because it's just getting to the point now that COD and BF are bouncing off similair ideas like the studios are trying to get the jump on eachother.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#126  Edited By Julmust

Sounds pretty cool.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#127  Edited By delta_ass

So instead of having one scripted sequence to go through, they'll let you pick from two different scripted sequences.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#128  Edited By Skald

Everyone's going to buy it, and then the complaining will start. We've been through this before, it's rote.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129  Edited By Sooty

Kind of is what I was expecting, more of the same and that will be exactly what it is, a few changes won't change the stale, arcadey feel to the gameplay. Like the last few games, I won't be buying it.

That robot screenshot goes against the whole "sharper graphics" thing, seriously that looks dreadful.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#130  Edited By MooseyMcMan

This sounds pretty great. I hope the game winds up well.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By eezo

@Humanity said:

@Dezztroy said:

Tons of kids on YouTube that post CoD gameplay and get YouTube sponsorships that make enough money to buy a new Benz.

Still doesn't make them "professionals" as in, they don't go to tournaments etc. they just get money of comercials, anyone can do that in theory.

mathkor89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By mathkor89
    @Ramboknife

@Coolarman said:

first

Great comment!

@Ramboknife he hasn't learned that no one likes the first
    Smokey_Earhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Smokey_Earhole

@YukoAsho: Insightful post. You're a cool dude.

Discoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Discoman

Well there's no apparent change to gameplay besides being able to control drones. I'm not impressed with choosing different paths. That isn't new, and all your doing is experiencing different scripted events. I'm sure the already short single player campaigns will be shorter because of it aswell.

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#135  Edited By ObsideonDarman

This definitely sounds a lot more promising than the stuff that I read about Modern Warfare 3 before it's release.

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By twillfast

A Call of duty level design meeting:

Senior sales guy: "How's the new downtown Los Angeles map coming along?"

Level designer: "Well, I think it's looking good. We've really spiced up the shootout parts with some new high-ground windows to shoot from."

-"Oh. Ok. Are there any jets flying by at super low altitude? Like, streetside."

-"No. But we have jets in the level just befo.."

-"Is shit constantly exploding everywhere?"

-"Uh, almost, I mean we have some quiet parts where.."

-"Quiet parts?! Ok. We need to save this map. I want you to add a tank invasion and a couple of helicopters. Fuck it, make that ALL the helicopters. And I need you to make a jet fly by you inside a building. That'll show them Battlefraud 3 fuckers what real war is about."

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#137  Edited By GaspoweR

Color me intrigued...at least they are trying to do something different. I'll wait for the reviews to come in before getting it. This will probably the first one I bought since MW2 if the campaign turns out to be better.

MacEG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By MacEG

I saw sniper rifle that lets you sees through walls. (read: FarSight)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#139  Edited By Humanity

@eezo said:

@Humanity said:

@Dezztroy said:

Still doesn't make them "professionals" as in, they don't go to tournaments etc. they just get money of comercials, anyone can do that in theory.

There are big teams that go to tournaments but why bother training and getting a team together, abiding by very specific rules that go along with these type of tournaments - when you can beat down on scrubs online and get huge scores, post that up on the ol' YouTubes with some nonsense commentary and make literally ten times as much as a tournament win which you have to split with your team. Of course now thats not as easy as it was say 2 years ago when that whole YouTube scene was blowing up. These days you're probably going to get lost in a sea of other people doing the same commentating you're doing. The pro teams still exist though, Team OptiC is still there as the "premium" sniping team or whatever. Playing Call of Duty competitively is no less silly than doing so in StarCraft or Street Fighter.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ErEl

Modern Warfare > Black Ops. Simples

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By SomeJerk

You know what.

This actually looks kinda cool.

But on the technical side of the visuals it's as if it was built for a console using parts from 2004.

And I love my old games. I love them because they are what they are. But this is an 80 year old granny pretending to be a 20something.

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By novadth

@ErEl said:

Modern Warfare > Black Ops. Simples

Oh you've played this already. Thanks for letting us know how it is in advance, saved me some money!

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Peanut

Can't we just pretend to talk about the future of Call of Duty and all have a nap instead?

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#144  Edited By Zaxex

I'll consider playing it if it's good and different enough. Otherwise I'd rather not support it or Activision.

On a side note, I quite like the irony of boredom due to the repetition of complaints, about the boredom of the repetition of the Call of Duty franchise.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By owack6
    No Caption Provided

Horses of the year 2012.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By GoofyGoober

Eh, doesn't really seem that exciting. I will check it out tho, I must admit I did enjoy Black ops for the most part, plus, ZOMBIES

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By splodge  Online

As someone who stopped playing COD after the first Modern Warfare (still the best IMO), I am genuinely excited about this. Vehicles? Variety? A deep campaign? And what of the multiplayer? Will we be able to use said vehicles and possibly take on the role of a commander?

Dear Jesus,

Please make this game good.

Yours,

Splodge

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit I feel like I'm losing my mind. A charge up shot that uses more ammo ?! WHAT THE FUCK?! FUCK ME!!!

Before I go take a hot bath and slit my throat (wrist cutting just ain't gonna.. cut...it...) I'd just like to point out that this "branching" bull shit they are talking about, well I'm gonna call it right now, Instead of going through an on rail scene, your now going to be able to pick WHICH rail scene you go through.

WHAT THE FUCK?! CHARGE SHOTS?! WHO THE FUCK OKAY'D THAT SHIT?! DO PEOPLE EVEN KNOW HOW GUNS WORK?!?! WHAT THE FUCK?!

I'm glad I stopped giving a shit about these games after CoD2

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By RoxasXIII

Maybe I remember incorrectly... But don't you watch Frank Woods get executed in Black Ops?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.