Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 13, 2012

The Black Ops storyline continues, switching the past Cold War from the game's predecessor to future 2025, as a new Cold War between U.S.A. and China flares up due to the actions of one vengeful drug-runner.

Quick Review, Black Ops 2 Revolution Map Pack

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Edited By OldManLight

Picked it up this morning after purchasing the season pass. Figured "Who am I kidding?" i know i'll be playing this game's multiplayer for pretty much the rest of the year. Download was 1.86 GB so took roughly 5-10 minutes. Enough time for me to have a cup of coffee and bagel. After it downloaded, I jumped into the Revolution maps playlist for a while.

1st map, Downhill. The tileset (for lack of a better term) is reminiscent of Array and Summit from the first Black Ops game. Medium sized map, lots of paths, plenty of cover, and a few open areas to get into medium to long distance shooting matches.

2nd map, Hydro. Seemed actually the smallest of the 4 new multiplayer maps. Very narrow but still providing multiple routes to players and as all good CoD maps should have, lots of cover scattered throughout. Word of caution, there's a small house in the middle of this map that i was able to lock down for several minutes and yielded me lots of kills. Like the train station map, there's environmental hazards in the form of a spillway that suddenly floods and will kill you if you're caught in it. There's a warning siren before this happens so use your earholes unless you want to be killed by "the guardians".

3rd map, Mirage. This map seemed like a interesting location. It reminded me of some of the coverage videos i'd seen from spec ops the line with the sandstorm ravaged hotel theme. Lots of open areas in this medium sized map with few choke points where close quarters weapons will do well. For the most part though, the people sticking to the outside with longer ranged weapons will do well in this map.

4th map, Grind. Skate park. Fun in the same way that MW2 had that Carnival map or Blops 1 had the Zoo map. Like most maps in call of duty, this medium sized map has a building in the middle with some terrain features outside. There are plenty curved surfaces of the skate park side (yes it's largely secluded to one side of the map with some ramps and such in the middle building) while the other side is made of sidewalks, steps, and your standard, right angle CoD geometry. These curved surfaces, i can tell, will become a pain in the butt because of grenade spammers so if you do happen to be on that side of the map, i'd suggest not hanging out in the trough of a sloped surface. Still plenty of cover on this map and it was fun to play like all the other maps in this DLC.

Finally, the Peacemaker SMG. Call of Duty's first DLC weapon. It seems to hit like an SMG but not in the sense that it feels overpowered or out of place. It has very low recoil and fires about the rate of the existing MSMC. For the sake of comparison, It feels like an MSMC with less recoil and maybe a slightly higher fire rate. 30 round magazine, easy to use ironsights, average reload time, average raise and drop times, and it does not feel overpowered. It fits very well within the arsenal of existing weapons. It has the same weaknesses other weapons in its class where it doesn't do very much damage at range. It doesn't feel like the new king of the SMG's or any other gun class for that matter. It seems to just fit in to satisfy someone's personal preference of a lower recoil, easy to use SMG. One comment i will make is that i was impressed with how many people were using this weapon even in the standard playlists which to me implies that the majority of the people playing Blops 2 have purchased or will purchase this map pack. And yes, if someone drops this gun, you can pick it up even if you didn't buy the DLC. :)

For the most part, it seems like a good DLC pack for me as someone who enjoys Blops 2 multiplayer. I can't comment on the Zombie mode's additions since that never has been the reason i enjoy Call of Duty and it still isn't now. Hope you guys enjoyed reading this and if i get any positive feedback from this i may do this again for future DLC's. Feel free to ask me any questions below and i'll see you online.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By OldManLight

Picked it up this morning after purchasing the season pass. Figured "Who am I kidding?" i know i'll be playing this game's multiplayer for pretty much the rest of the year. Download was 1.86 GB so took roughly 5-10 minutes. Enough time for me to have a cup of coffee and bagel. After it downloaded, I jumped into the Revolution maps playlist for a while.

1st map, Downhill. The tileset (for lack of a better term) is reminiscent of Array and Summit from the first Black Ops game. Medium sized map, lots of paths, plenty of cover, and a few open areas to get into medium to long distance shooting matches.

2nd map, Hydro. Seemed actually the smallest of the 4 new multiplayer maps. Very narrow but still providing multiple routes to players and as all good CoD maps should have, lots of cover scattered throughout. Word of caution, there's a small house in the middle of this map that i was able to lock down for several minutes and yielded me lots of kills. Like the train station map, there's environmental hazards in the form of a spillway that suddenly floods and will kill you if you're caught in it. There's a warning siren before this happens so use your earholes unless you want to be killed by "the guardians".

3rd map, Mirage. This map seemed like a interesting location. It reminded me of some of the coverage videos i'd seen from spec ops the line with the sandstorm ravaged hotel theme. Lots of open areas in this medium sized map with few choke points where close quarters weapons will do well. For the most part though, the people sticking to the outside with longer ranged weapons will do well in this map.

4th map, Grind. Skate park. Fun in the same way that MW2 had that Carnival map or Blops 1 had the Zoo map. Like most maps in call of duty, this medium sized map has a building in the middle with some terrain features outside. There are plenty curved surfaces of the skate park side (yes it's largely secluded to one side of the map with some ramps and such in the middle building) while the other side is made of sidewalks, steps, and your standard, right angle CoD geometry. These curved surfaces, i can tell, will become a pain in the butt because of grenade spammers so if you do happen to be on that side of the map, i'd suggest not hanging out in the trough of a sloped surface. Still plenty of cover on this map and it was fun to play like all the other maps in this DLC.

Finally, the Peacemaker SMG. Call of Duty's first DLC weapon. It seems to hit like an SMG but not in the sense that it feels overpowered or out of place. It has very low recoil and fires about the rate of the existing MSMC. For the sake of comparison, It feels like an MSMC with less recoil and maybe a slightly higher fire rate. 30 round magazine, easy to use ironsights, average reload time, average raise and drop times, and it does not feel overpowered. It fits very well within the arsenal of existing weapons. It has the same weaknesses other weapons in its class where it doesn't do very much damage at range. It doesn't feel like the new king of the SMG's or any other gun class for that matter. It seems to just fit in to satisfy someone's personal preference of a lower recoil, easy to use SMG. One comment i will make is that i was impressed with how many people were using this weapon even in the standard playlists which to me implies that the majority of the people playing Blops 2 have purchased or will purchase this map pack. And yes, if someone drops this gun, you can pick it up even if you didn't buy the DLC. :)

For the most part, it seems like a good DLC pack for me as someone who enjoys Blops 2 multiplayer. I can't comment on the Zombie mode's additions since that never has been the reason i enjoy Call of Duty and it still isn't now. Hope you guys enjoyed reading this and if i get any positive feedback from this i may do this again for future DLC's. Feel free to ask me any questions below and i'll see you online.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cbarnes86

@OldManLight said:

I laughed at this considering it takes me about an hour or so (damn ATT). Anyways, good review. Glad to hear that my 50 dollar season pass was well spent. I enjoy playing this game online a lot and could really use four new maps.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By kgb0515

I was wondering if anyone here got this. I will have to wait as I got the season pass for the PS3. Oh well. Something to look forward to I guess.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Troispoint

The maps are pretty good. But hopefully people will move on from only using the Peacekeeper. Its kinda retarded when everybody is using the same gun. lol

ShaneCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShaneCase

Great review!

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Marcsman

Cannot wait for it to come to the PSN

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.