Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 06, 2015

Set 40 years after the events of Black Ops II, the twelfth installment of the Call of Duty series brings advanced robotics and biotic augmentations to the clandestine operations of the Black Ops storyline.

Campaign and voice acting... how are they that bad? (no spoilers)

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Strathy

I am the kind of shmuck who really enjoys the dumb fun of blasting through a Call of Duty campaign (even COD3... kind of) but holy crap if this one isn't staggeringly bad. The fact the story breaches the dumb horizon and passes into the full-on-stupidity quadrant I could try and ignore, but the quality of the script and voice acting is unbelievably (as in I don't know how this happened) awful. I thought it might be some sort of weird joke during the first mission, but no, that's the entire game.

The only thing I can compare finishing the campaign to is watching Mortal Kombat: Annihilation for the first time. Only the feeling isn't 'what did I just watch?' It's 'what did I just play?'

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The quality of voice work has actually been pretty high across the series, certainly in the Treyarch campaigns, so I'm left absolutely clueless as to how they dropped the ball so hard in that respect.

The campaign as a whole is just awful.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so insanely boring I didn't even notice. What a bummer of a CoD campaign.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really disappointing on how they dropped the ball on this campaign. I really enjoy the Black Ops and Black Ops 2 campaigns so it's a huge bummer for me so far. I'm not done it yet but I can't believe how bad the voice acting is. Hendricks' voice actor in particular is really bad.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dialog was unbearably bad. I also thought the first mission was some kind of parity of bro-shooters, but nope, that's almost the entire game. As someone who enjoyed the first two Black Ops, I just don't understand how the quality of voice acting and dialog dropped so, so far from those games. The only thing this one has going for it is a playable female protagonist and some cool looking facial capture.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the writing gets bad to the point of me wondering, "Is this going to go Spec Ops by the end?" I thought there was no way this sophomoric dialogue could exist without being parodical (or, as Spec Ops did so brilliantly, critical). But, they ditch all that towards the end for the pretense of...I don't know. Some sort of theme exploring sentience? I don't even think they know. Game was bombastic, though. Set pieces and gameplay, I thought, were all strong. High production values on that front. It's just a shame they couldn't get anywhere close to what they were going for narrative-wise (or maybe they did? It's so hard to tell).

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Black Ops and Black Ops 2 (Especially 2) had the best CoD campaigns of the entire series, it makes me real sad that they dropped the ball so hard they had such a great system with Blops 2 WHY didn't they expand upon that???

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Man, I haven't gotten past the second mission. I hope I don't hate it as much as you guys.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't know man. Maybe its because the only other COD I played was MW2 and I'm only around halfway through ,but nothing about this seems spectacularly bad. It ain't Oscar worthy, but neither was MW2.

If there is one thing that's dumb is the fact that you, the character, are actually very integral to the story ,but they don't really give you a name. I find that weird, especially after they let me choose how I look.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm technically on the last level on the game... and well... holy shit. A lot of stuff happened that I didn't expect. I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be... its entertaining if anything else. Once you get past chapter 4, stuff starts happening.

It's definitely not the best CoD campaign, but It still has some neat things going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.