Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 06, 2015

Set 40 years after the events of Black Ops II, the twelfth installment of the Call of Duty series brings advanced robotics and biotic augmentations to the clandestine operations of the Black Ops storyline.

Local retailer leaked this way early - ask me anything (no spoilers)

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So my local retailer dropped the game way early and I've played 3 hours or so of the campaign so far.

So far, it's pretty good. Pretty cool premise and the action is pretty tight.

Let me know if you have any questions!

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Are there mini nukes? :)

OK, serious question: Does it look as good as Advanced Warfare?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What was your conversation with your retailer dude, and did you have to leave with no receipt to get it?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Pain It Black play in-game?

If Fallout 4, Tomb Raider and Starcraft wouldn't be coming out this month, I could've bought this, as Advanced Warfare was a pretty fun thrillride. Not that I'm going to buy all of those, but they get higher on the list for now.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesquarepear: it's a pretty good looking game over all, the facial animations and details are particularly good. Overall it's a better looking game though it's not heaps and bounds better than aw by any means

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: there was no conversation haha, in fact I had to wait for them to get the regular edition. They had the hardened edition since last Sunday!

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By superfriend

What platform are you on? Are there any technical hiccups? Like, does the framerate drop a lot in singleplayer? AW kinda had a lot of framerate issues on Ps4 for me.

Also: Is zere ze multiplayer?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfriend: I'm playing on the ps4. The servers are still offline last I checked so I was able to mess around with some bots and the campaign.

The campaign is noticeably silky smooth ; definitely smoother than aw, which I also played on the ps4. There's a noticeable drop in frame rate when transitioning from game play to cut scenes for whatever reason, maybe an official day one patch will fix it

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I always love these early AMA threads, so thanks for doing this.

Is there a 3D mode? I believe both the other Black Ops games had options for 3D televisions, but I've not heard anything about this one.

Are the campaign levels noticeably larger, due to four player co-op? When playing a level that leads you down a path, I'm assuming that path is considerably wider, right?

How does the XP unlock system work in single player? Does it seem like it will give the campaign far more replayability, or do you think you'll unlock almost everything in a single playthrough?

Do multiplayer bots work offline? If so, does everything start unlocked so you can try weapons and characters before spending unlock tokens?

Does Theater Mode work offline? If so, what improvements or changes can you tell us about? Does it still allow you to create a quick montage of your kills in a game?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: no problem, this is the first time I get lucky so I'll do my best to answer your questions:

3D: I've looked through the options briefly, doesn't seem to be anything specifically for 3d but that could be because my TV doesn't support it.

Levels: they are pretty big with multiple routes usually. Nothing we haven't seen before but plenty of room for 4players

Basically you get Xp and get these unlock tokens. I think from what I've seen a pkaythrough will be enough, depending on your difficulty setting (higher difficulty levels award a higher amount of Xp)

Bots : yes they work offline. And yes everything is unlocked, from weapons to maps to score streaks. I had a lot of fun messing around with it last night.

No idea about theater mode, didn't notice it when I was playing locally but that could just be me not seeing it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker said:

3D: I've looked through the options briefly, doesn't seem to be anything specifically for 3d but that could be because my TV doesn't support it.

No idea about theater mode, didn't notice it when I was playing locally but that could just be me not seeing it.

I know someone with a 3D television, and he's been wondering if they took the feature out for Black Ops III. Almost no one seems to support 3D anymore, and it seems that's still the case with this game.

And I believe theater mode is typically server side, so I should have guessed that it might not be working yet.

Thanks for the answers, though. If you haven't already, you should join the Black Ops III PS4 community that I set up yesterday.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Wild. I guess I just have the obvious question: Is it fun? Or at least, are you having fun with it?

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker: it is this game more crysis that black ops ?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rjpelonia: I am definitely enjoying it, but we all know we're here for the mp and the bots were incredibly fun to dominate

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexgbro: it's definitely got that suit vibe going for it but it's definitely a cod game, for better or worse (single player wise)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@glottery said:

Does Paint It Black play in-game?

Going back to this, one of the most humorous internet posts I've seen lately was someone asking why they were using the Twisted Metal Black theme to advertise this game. Rolling Stones are such a great band.

@rjpelonia said:

Wild. I guess I just have the obvious question: Is it fun? Or at least, are you having fun with it?

I can't speak to the quality of the campaign or Zombies modes, but I sure enjoyed my time with the multiplayer beta. Judging from the beta, it's the best COD since the original Black Ops, IMO. Hated MW3, thought BO2 was just okay, didn't play Ghosts, and came to dislike AW rather quickly.

@conker said:

@rjpelonia: I am definitely enjoying it, but we all know we're here for the mp and the bots were incredibly fun to dominate

Did you play the online beta? If so, what do you think of the new maps when compared to the beta maps?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Are the guns basically recoil-less laser beams like they were in BO2?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: no they definitely have recoil this time around. A few of these guns are probably gonna get nerfed though (fuck that three burst gun is a melt machine)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

I'm curious to know how it feels compared to say Advanced Warfare? Have to admit what I played of the beta left me feeling flat, Advanced Warfare was the first CoD game I've enjoyed since Modern Warfare. Felt livelier and I enjoyed the customisation stuff.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@machofantastico said:

I'm curious to know how it feels compared to say Advanced Warfare? Have to admit what I played of the beta left me feeling flat, Advanced Warfare was the first CoD game I've enjoyed since Modern Warfare. Felt livelier and I enjoyed the customisation stuff.

I played quite a lot of the beta, and really enjoyed it. In AW, I felt like I could get shot at almost any time, from far too many angles. I could almost never get a decent streak going. Maps were too open, and cover felt non-existent. In Black Ops 3, you can't just jump over every bit of cover you see. This is also why you can't reach the roof of most buildings. Treyarch even acknowledged this by saying that they tried a version of Nuketown where you could get up on the houses, and it just didn't feel right.

Customization is coming back for Black Ops III, btw. They just haven't talked about it much yet. Supply drops are back too, but are strictly cosmetic this time. No weapon variants, thankfully. Supply drops are just too much money for Activision to ever leave on the table again.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21  Edited By MachoFantastico

@spaceinsomniac said:
    @machofantastico said:

I played quite a lot of the beta, and really enjoyed it. In AW, I felt like I could get shot at almost any time, from far too many angles. I could almost never get a decent streak going. Maps were too open, and cover felt non-existent. In Black Ops 3, you can't just jump over every bit of cover you see. This is also why you can't reach the roof of most buildings. Treyarch even acknowledged this by saying that they tried a version of Nuketown where you could get up on the houses, and it just didn't feel right.

Customization is coming back for Black Ops III, btw. They just haven't talked about it much yet. Supply drops are back too, but are strictly cosmetic this time. No weapon variants, thankfully. Supply drops are just too much money for Activision to ever leave on the table again.

You make a good point there, I didn't mind it to much as I enjoyed the flow of AW's multiplayer. Good to hear the customization is still going to be there, that and they've got rid of the weapon variants which I was never much of a fan of to be honest and barely used. Plus we know how much Activision love money so I guess it makes sense.

Still, might wait to read/hear what folks make of the multiplayer before making a purchase on this one. Thanks for the input.

Nuketown appears to be a pre-order bonus which sucks, not sure which UK store as the Nuketown pre-order bonus.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still, might wait to read/hear what folks make of the multiplayer before making a purchase on this one. Thanks for the input.

Nuketown appears to be a pre-order bonus which sucks, not sure which UK store as the Nuketown pre-order bonus.

You know, if you don't want to risk a pre-order, but you want the pre-order bonus, I think you could always buy the game and keep it sealed. I don't know why I never thought of that before, but what is there to stop anyone from from doing that? I could have pre-ordered Battlefield 4--which thankfully I didn't--kept it sealed, waited to hear about the servers, and returned it weeks later when everyone realized how broken that game was going to be.

Why don't more people do that? You could get any pre-order bonus you want, and still not risk opening a game that ended up with awful reviews and a broken online service.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How crazy do the big setpiece moments in the campaign get?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermonkey122: can't really say, I'm only like 3 missions or so in but I'm sure (hope) they're coming

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How cyberpunkish is the story/campaign so far? The trailers seemed like they hinted at stuff like robot invasions and maybe some altered/virtual reality stuff, has that cropped up yet? Or is that just multiplayer stuff?

How is the story, considering it's built around a creatable character, and built to accommodate co-op? Does the singleplayer gameplay or story suffer because of that? Does the main character have a voice?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Can you customize anything about your character with the bots appearance-wise?

Is there an option to play with bots online with friends?

Lastly, can you unlock things in the bot mode, or is everything pre-unlocked?

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is the paintshop and emblem creator? I felt underwhelmed by the paintshop during the beta.

How about the camos?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is the Zombie mode?

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker: Are there any strike force missions? ...because I hated those damn things in Black Ops 2.

sloktor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

How is the Zombie mode?

I have a few friends that is curious on this aswell, I havent played the zombie mode since World at War. Is it like Gears and its horde mode with building defenses and upgrading those?

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conker: I find it funny that Activision moved the date for Friday to stop broken street date, and stores STILL break it.

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the story light? Very little cutscenes? How is the story?

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJBSterling

@sloktor: I don't know about most people but a lot of zombie enthusiasts play to unlock the easter egg achievements that are found in the maps. It's kind of complicated to explain, though.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sloktor: you mean the barricades? You never upgrade those but what you can upgrade though is your weapons. The upgrades are purely fictional and mainly thought out for Zombie mode as some of them are pretty useful like the Ballistic Knife that is when upgraded it allows the player to instantly revive a downed teammate when fired.

I have not played GoW Horde mode but in Zombie mode it's mostly about building your character through perks, weapons and weapons' upgrades.

Architecture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hows' the map design? Advanced Warfare had some good ideas, but it was still a poor man's Titanfall in my book.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Hows' the map design? Advanced Warfare had some good ideas, but it was still a poor man's Titanfall in my book.

Did you play the beta? Map design was one of the strongest parts of the game, IMO. I'm quite interested to see the rest of them, though.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

How many fistbumps have you seen so far?

@conker said:

@superfriend: There's a noticeable drop in frame rate when transitioning from game play to cut scenes for whatever reason, maybe an official day one patch will fix it

is the single player campaign running at a locked 30 or a locked 60?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many maps are there for ze multiplayer?

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JJBSterling
    conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emoney244: there are some cut scenes but to be honest the story is altogether uninteresting and frankly I have very little idea what's going on. Still pretty fun but it's a step back from AW and DEFINITELY a huge leap back from black ops 2

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xymox: I thinks it's 60, the frames drop only when transitioning into cut scenes or when you you lose control of your player (during that transition)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@conker said:

@emoney244: there are some cut scenes but to be honest the story is altogether uninteresting and frankly I have very little idea what's going on. Still pretty fun but it's a step back from AW and DEFINITELY a huge leap back from black ops 2

Oh bummer. I haven't played Call of Duty since Black Ops and was thinking maybe I'll get this and have some fun, but I'm one of those people that play CoD for the campaign and the multiplayer is kind of like something I play on the side when I'm done.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: it could still pick up I guess but ya it's definitely not the best cod campaign

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@conker: It looked as much from everything I've seen but still I held out hope. Thanks for the heads up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.