Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Black Ops "First Strike" Pack Launches February 1st On 360

• 114 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

Already sick and tired of those regular "on-disc" maps for Call of Duty: Black Ops? Then you've played those maps way more than I have. But you're in luck! We have a date for the first downloadable Map Pack for Black Ops. Revealed on Major “My name is Larry” Nelson’s Xbox podcast, the new “First Strike Map Pack” will launch on the Xbox 360 come February 1st, a little less than three months after the game’s  November launch.  

And yes, thanks to that neat little deal signed between Activision and Microsoft, you’ll be seeing these new maps first on the 360 and then later for the PS3 and PC. There’s no specific timeframe indicating just how long the Map Pack will remain a 360-exclusive, but if the Modern Warfare 2 Map Packs (which also debuted first on the 360) are any indication, then we’re looking at a one-month window, at the very least, between the releases of these maps on other systems. 

This map has snow. One of the new maps also has snow.  

== TEASER ==In fact, if you've bought either of the previous Modern Warfare 2 map packs, you’ll have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the first DLC for Black Ops; “First Strike” features, like the Resurgence and Stimulus packs, five new multiplayer maps for $15—sorry, I mean, “1200 Microsoft Points.” Four of the included maps are for the standard Call of Duty competitive multiplayer modes, while the fifth is a new area for the Co-op Zombies mode.  

Two of those four maps are repurposed levels from the single player campaign; “Discovery” takes place in an arctic research station that’s completely different from those other multiplayer maps featuring arctic research stations, while Kowloon sees player-on-player action back in urban Hong Kong

The other two maps, however, are based on locales not yet seen in Black Ops. The first, “Berlin Wall” set near the famed division between East and West Germany, will help us discover just how many explosive RC-XDs you need to tear down that wall. The 4th map, Stadium, trades the cities, jungles, and nuclear testing facilities of the other multiplayer maps for an American Hockey Rink. Hopefully, players will be able to trade out their knives for hockey sticks, earning extra COD Points by checking enemies to death

So, Black Ops players, will you have finally had your fill of Nuketown when the "First Strike Map Pack" launches on February 1st? 
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Already sick and tired of those regular "on-disc" maps for Call of Duty: Black Ops? Then you've played those maps way more than I have. But you're in luck! We have a date for the first downloadable Map Pack for Black Ops. Revealed on Major “My name is Larry” Nelson’s Xbox podcast, the new “First Strike Map Pack” will launch on the Xbox 360 come February 1st, a little less than three months after the game’s  November launch.  

And yes, thanks to that neat little deal signed between Activision and Microsoft, you’ll be seeing these new maps first on the 360 and then later for the PS3 and PC. There’s no specific timeframe indicating just how long the Map Pack will remain a 360-exclusive, but if the Modern Warfare 2 Map Packs (which also debuted first on the 360) are any indication, then we’re looking at a one-month window, at the very least, between the releases of these maps on other systems. 

== TEASER ==In fact, if you've bought either of the previous Modern Warfare 2 map packs, you’ll have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the first DLC for Black Ops; “First Strike” features, like the Resurgence and Stimulus packs, five new multiplayer maps for $15—sorry, I mean, “1200 Microsoft Points.” Four of the included maps are for the standard Call of Duty competitive multiplayer modes, while the fifth is a new area for the Co-op Zombies mode.  

Two of those four maps are repurposed levels from the single player campaign; “Discovery” takes place in an arctic research station that’s completely different from those other multiplayer maps featuring arctic research stations, while Kowloon sees player-on-player action back in urban Hong Kong

The other two maps, however, are based on locales not yet seen in Black Ops. The first, “Berlin Wall” set near the famed division between East and West Germany, will help us discover just how many explosive RC-XDs you need to tear down that wall. The 4th map, Stadium, trades the cities, jungles, and nuclear testing facilities of the other multiplayer maps for an American Hockey Rink. Hopefully, players will be able to trade out their knives for hockey sticks, earning extra COD Points by checking enemies to death

So, Black Ops players, will you have finally had your fill of Nuketown when the "First Strike Map Pack" launches on February 1st? 
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

No way. I'll be damned. Nice post man.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By MayorFeedback

Pretty much, yeah, Claude. Nice job! 

I can't think of a hockey rink Call of Duty map without thinking of: 

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mithhunter55

Whoa thats as close to first I've been and this is a  call of duty post.

TheCheese33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheCheese33

nothankyou.jpg 

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Nadafinga

Thanks for bringing some content to the site today Mr. Kessler.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

$15, lol.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jkz

This pack's proximity to BFBC2: Vietnam, which is closer to an expansion in scope, and costs the same amount, is really making me think twice about purchasing it. It really does seem quite ridiculous.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By meptron

By the time this comes out on the PS3, Killzone 3 will be out.  Seems like this timed exclusive is bad timing for Activision. Do I want to spend $15 for only 4 maps (zombie map doesn't count for me), OR do I want to buy a full game for $60 and avoid the Activision-tax? Clear cut.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Tesla

800 points is as high as I go for map packs.  I guess I'll be trading the game in come February.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By GeekDown

And just as usual there's no fucking way I'm paying 1200 MS points for a map pack.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Onno10

Will it be free for pcs again?

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MaddProdigy

I do love me some Nuketown, but I'd like to check out some new maps for sure. 15 dollars is a tad steep, but I'll buy em.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mattbodega
    @Onno10: Probably not! Since the PC release of MW2,  Activision has insured that the delivery mechanisms are in place to sell you that content directly, rather than hoping for someone else will sponsor those maps. So... yeah. Those maps will cost ya on the PC.
    pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pkhilson

*Comment, WHOOOOOOO

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

1200 is far too much.  I don't give a crap about the zombie mode, it sucks and people refuse to help out.   Guess I'll go back to PC shooters with their free updates.

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pkhilson

I don't even have this game, still playing God of War 3 lol

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By John1912

Man, Im sick of this over charge on DLC.  Maybe if someone can actually show me they are not clearing a 300% profit Ill change my mind, but fuck.  This would be a great game to boycott the DLC and get these fucking companies to stop seeing how much we will pay before we say no fucking way.   

At least charge 30$ and give me a proper fucking expansion of single player and 8-10 maps like the old days.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Onno10
    @MattBodega: 
    That's unfortunate, but thanks for clearing that up for me.
    mikesmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mikesmith

new maps weeeee

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#21  Edited By Dimsey

I had my fill of Nuketown ages ago, bring on new maps.

mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mus

BWhaha, no chance. I have not given a single penny to  Activision and will continue not to. They are the only company I  buy there games for second hand.  
    Not nice I know. However I see no value in there games for along time and I am fed up with them over charging Call of duty series to loyal fans and running game series to the ground. 

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

when are they gonna post the GotY DELIBERATIONS ?!!?!?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By buft

Maybe im reading it wrong but this seems like a very negative news article, i have yet to buy the game myself but i'll consider it down the line when money is easier to come by.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Mus said:
    " BWhaha, no chance. I have not given a single penny to  Activision and will continue not to. They are the only company I  buy there games for second hand.  Not nice I know. However I see no value in there games for along time and I am fed up with them over charging Call of duty series to loyal fans and running game series to the ground.  "
    How are they overcharging?  You miss out on a lot of fun and accomplish nothing by being like that.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Mus said:
    " BWhaha, no chance. I have not given a single penny to  Activision and will continue not to. They are the only company I  buy there games for second hand.  Not nice I know. However I see no value in there games for along time and I am fed up with them over charging Call of duty series to loyal fans and running game series to the ground.  "
    How are they overcharging?  You miss out on a lot of fun and accomplish nothing by being like that. "
    I think he's referring to the cost of the map packs.  Depending on your viewpoint, it could be considered too much.
    Reizarvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Reizarvg

1200 points? You can get Monday Night Combat for that. Balanced, unique multiplayer shooter with great developer support and some free DLC for the same price as a few new maps? Nice.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Moridin

I don't mind paying $15 for five new maps.  

Rather than $15 for three new maps, and two maps from the previous game that I already own. Cough, cough.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By scarace360

Why 15 why not 10 or why not pull some bad co 2 shit and give it to me for free.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By huntad

Haha, I kind of figured Activision wasn't going to learn their lesson with their last packs. I didn't buy those and I won't buy this one, or the next, or the next. 

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pkhilson

Dammit, the Facebook link up button is busted? QUESTS!!!

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ch13696
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Mus said:
    How are they overcharging? "
    I haven't seen anyone charge $15 for a map pack except for Activision. The Bad Company 2 expansion is $15 and the Left 4 Dead 2 DLC is $7 (free on PC). Those are the only other 2 popular FPS's that I can think of that have reasonable prices for their DLC.
    Avatar image for depressing_wizard
    Depressing_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$15 for 4 maps (fuck you, shitty Zombie mode) isn't that bad. I plan on playing this game for a long time, and if the maps are up to the on-disc maps' quality, then this will be worth it. 

RavenShade83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RavenShade83

Everyone please stop complaining about the $15 dollar thing, you didn't change anything a year ago, you won't change anything now, so please just trade the game in so you have nothing to complain about anymore. That being said, I know all of you will be on xbox playing the new maps come release day. kthxbai.

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MJHAYLETT

Since E3 everyone has known that COD DLC is coming first on 360 - why even make a note of it in subheadings or headings? Its semi trolling PC and PS3 players. Its a game journo thing I guess as it makes no sense to me to state the bloody obvious.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By captain_clayman

meh.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rebirth1337

Not supporting this $15 for 4maps is stupid. 

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DukesT3

Hm. I don't know about this yet, I'll probably moved on from blops by the time this comes out. if it was 10 bucks. I think thats a fair price for new maps. 

toadstule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By toadstule
    @MJHAYLETT said:
    " Since E3 everyone has known that COD DLC is coming first on 360 - why even make a note of it in subheadings or headings? Its semi trolling PC and PS3 players. Its a game journo thing I guess as it makes no sense to me to state the bloody obvious. "
    But that's the thing, not everyone knows that it is coming out on 360 first. Most gamers probably do but you can't assume everyone does.
    KyleBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KyleBaron

You got a sentence fragment in my news article! 

Also, I still love you, Matt.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By darkjester74

Depends on the how many maps per $ ratio.  If its like the MW2 maps, forget it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For that price you can get Battlefield Vietnam or Monday Night Combat or a plethora of other great games that are on sale in the Steam Store right now. Four maps is just utter shite, no doubt millions will still get it for Christmas from their parents though.

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Xealot42

I think I'll spend my $15 on BC2: Vietnam.

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Skillface

Great, another huge snow map to provide more argument for the "Big snow maps are garbage" argument (I'm looking at you, Derail and Array).

iek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iek

what a fucking rip. don't support this guys, have some damn restraint.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By clstirens
    @Xealot42 said:
    " I think I'll spend my $15 on BC2: Vietnam. "
    fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#47  Edited By fillmoejoe

1200 points? I'll check out Bad Company 2 Vietnam instead.

Astex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Astex

15 euro is going to vietnam not this crap

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Junpei
    @toadstule said:
    " @MJHAYLETT said:
    " Since E3 everyone has known that COD DLC is coming first on 360 - why even make a note of it in subheadings or headings? Its semi trolling PC and PS3 players. Its a game journo thing I guess as it makes no sense to me to state the bloody obvious. "
    But that's the thing, not everyone knows that it is coming out on 360 first. Most gamers probably do but you can't assume everyone does. "
    Yup, all about due diligence. You should never assume that the reader knows everything there is to know regardless of the source or content.
    Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Urmean

*depressed horn*

Wahmp Wahmp wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah~

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.