Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Breaks Modern Warfare 2's Sales Record

• 141 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    Activision is calling Call of Duty: Black Ops' launch the "biggest entertainment launch" ever recorded. The publisher is reporting that Treyarch's shooter generated around $360 million worth of sales in the US and the UK alone in its first 24 hours on store shelves, which beats Modern Warfare 2's alleged record-breaking sell-through in the same regions, during the same frame, of $310 million in 2009.  

In terms of games sold, Activision estimates that Black Ops sold 5.6 million in this period. MW2, for comparison's sake, sold a measly 4.7 million copies.

No Caption Provided
    And you better believe Activision CEO Bobby Kotick had something to say about this crazy news. "There has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records for two consecutive years and we are on track to outperform last year's five-day global sales record of $550 million," Kotick said in a statement. Later, he said that Activision will support Black Ops with DLC on a more frequent basis than it has previously with other titles.

Crazy numbers, right? I was floored to see 3.9 million people on the Xbox 360 version alone last night, so I'm not doubting what Activision is saying. The game is popular, and popular in an explosive we've-never-seen-numbers-like-these-before kind of way. But I wonder just how many units will be sold within, say, the first month? Will we have an even crazier story about Black Ops' sales this December?
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    Activision is calling Call of Duty: Black Ops' launch the "biggest entertainment launch" ever recorded. The publisher is reporting that Treyarch's shooter generated around $360 million worth of sales in the US and the UK alone in its first 24 hours on store shelves, which beats Modern Warfare 2's alleged record-breaking sell-through in the same regions, during the same frame, of $310 million in 2009.  

In terms of games sold, Activision estimates that Black Ops sold 5.6 million in this period. MW2, for comparison's sake, sold a measly 4.7 million copies.

No Caption Provided
    And you better believe Activision CEO Bobby Kotick had something to say about this crazy news. "There has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records for two consecutive years and we are on track to outperform last year's five-day global sales record of $550 million," Kotick said in a statement. Later, he said that Activision will support Black Ops with DLC on a more frequent basis than it has previously with other titles.

Crazy numbers, right? I was floored to see 3.9 million people on the Xbox 360 version alone last night, so I'm not doubting what Activision is saying. The game is popular, and popular in an explosive we've-never-seen-numbers-like-these-before kind of way. But I wonder just how many units will be sold within, say, the first month? Will we have an even crazier story about Black Ops' sales this December?
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

Jesus Christ.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Matt_

This really surprised me. I guess people don't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. They just know Call of Duty.

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Praab_NZ

Activision must die, or give me some of that money then die

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Afroman269

Kotick better stock up on gold beds with bundles of cash to have sex with because I bet this will go to the way of Guitar Hero in a couple years.

nvorgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By nvorgang
    @Matt_ said:
    " This really surprised me. I guess people don't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. They just know Call of Duty. "
    Most people just don't care either.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By landon
    @rjayb89 said:
    " Jesus Christ. "
    You think Jesus plays?
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

A little surprised the sales actually grew.  I assumed they would be mostly equal, if a little less.  Just goes to show that although engineers like to shit on the marketing department, those guys can make MONEY.
    deevster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By deevster

5.6 million people... That leads to a lot of dead commies.

Avatar image for madeoftinyrobots
    madeoftinyrobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By madeoftinyrobots

I wonder how Activision will still barely manage to make a profit again this quarter?  With this franchise and WoW they should be pretty well set money-wise, but they're always just scraping by making a few tens of millions a quarter.  I wonder why shareholders don't want a piece of that action and instead let Kotick give 90% of the profits to the top ten executives as eight or nine figure salaries and bonuses.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

It has to run out of steam sooner or later.....right?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Matt_ said:
    " This really surprised me. I guess people don't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. They just know Call of Duty. "
    Even if they knew the difference, I don't think they'd care.
    Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jerome85

Love it!  Great news.  Good job treyarch.  This game will last me until next november when the next COD comes out.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Good for Treyarch!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mikemcn

Well Deserved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 137
    @Matt_ said:
    I for one had 0 faith in TREYARC that this video game was going to be worth a shit, but the campaign while GB thinks it's a bit hokey, I mean c'mon MW2 wasn't the definition of HOKEY? I bet Michael Bay was cheated out of his production credits on the last one. Damn sure felt like I was playing badboys12transformers12 : modern warfare.  

But shit, I actually enjoy this, the changes they made while it seems they "COPIED" another studios formula. 

I say if someone is going to play someone in a movie, the same fucking actor better be playing the same character in part 2 even if it's written by someone else.  

And this new game follows the modern combat formula to a T. While many things could be improved like the games audio design for one so it doesn't seem so arcade shooterish. I think it's excellent and definitely a step up from the rubbish they've pumped out with all of their other buggy games.  

The fact that they are offering live support, have reporting on glitchers, and are LISTENING to peoples feedback instead of busting an INFINITY WARD 

YEAH WE RELEASED THE GAME, ITS PERFECT, WE GOT PAID, NO BETA NEEDED, IT GOT HACKED OH WELL, DID I MENTION WE GOT PAID, PEACE BITCHES.  

I will NEVER buy another game from their DEBUNCT STUDIO, and nothing from their NEW studio if it's FPS related in the least bit.  

and yes I have a sandy vagina about MW2
    GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GoofyGoober
    @Landon: Pretty sure I saw him in line when I rode past my local gamestop.
    Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gerhabio

I thought they'd be burned out already.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Matt_ said:
    I have to say, while I expected GARBAGE From this game, both because I'm not a HUGE CoD fan, and indeed, this is treyarch.. This game is pretty damn good. It's significantly better than MW2, at least in terms of multiplayer. It is very, very well balanced. Neither me nor my friend are screaming "THAT'S BULLSHIT" on vent every 3 seconds like we would in MW2. They kept all the good, stripped down all the bad, and the result is a fun balanced multiplayer. Haven't beat single player yet.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By gunslingerNZ

While this is definitely the better game I would have figured more people would be sick of buying the same game each year.

tranceaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tranceaddix

I was saying how this game was going to fail, Treyarch is horrible, COD sucks, nothing will be better than 4...but then I played it. Going in with full disdain for the product, I really ended up liking it - A LOT! The removal of Stopping Power and Juggernaut plus the freedom to customize your guns and classes is awesome. Also, the game is balanced quite well balanced (besides the sniper rifles). Kill Streaks and perks also feel great.

The one thing  I don't like: Every single thing has to be bought.

chameleon_skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chameleon_skin

So how much of those sales figures are due to its qualities as a game, and how much is due to the ads I was constantly bombarded with over the last two months?

karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By karatetron

I would like some Black Ops, please.

Smooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Smooks

Treyarch with money, good on 'em.

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By kagekage
    @Deevster said:
    " 5.6 million people... That leads to a lot of dead commies. "
    And that leads to a better world. 
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By cornbredx

I barely saw any ads for this game (saw way more MoH ads). I'm interested in this game for other reasons. I haven't been able to get it yet though.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MarkWahlberg
    @Landon said:
    " @rjayb89 said:
    " Jesus Christ. "
    You think Jesus plays? "
    And on the third day, he rose from the grave and said "Lo, for Black Ops is the shit, and I much desire to play with it."
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DystopiaX

actually kind of surprised, thought it would be big but not as big as MW2. When MW2 came out literally everyone on my friends list was playing it, but now I also see people playing Fallout, Halo, Fable, etc. I do agree with Jeff/GB as a whole though, and I think that the numbers will start to drop off either next year or the next couple years.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ragdrazi

After what Activision did to Infinity Ward, there are a lot of gamers who should feel ashamed of themselves right now.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DystopiaX
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Matt_ said:
    Even if they knew the difference, I don't think they'd care. "
    Yeah, we really get a warped perception of the views on the studios because game sites naturally are going to have people who know a lot, but if you ask most of the people who just play CoD and maybe a few other blockbusters, at best they may know that the people who make MW and the people who make other CoD titles are different but they just don't give a shit. Treyarch doesn't have the bad name among average people as it does for "hardcore" gamers.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jmrwacko
    @schattenwolf86 said:
    " @Matt_ said:
    Most people just don't care either. "
    The old Infinity Ward became Respawn Entertainment, so it's not like that distinction even matters anymore.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jmrwacko
    @CornBREDX said:
    " I barely saw any ads for this game (saw way more MoH ads). I'm interested in this game for other reasons. I haven't been able to get it yet though. "
    They just played Black Ops ads during the Celtics vs. Heat game, so I'd say the game's being advertised pretty broadly.
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By awesomeusername
    @TranceAddix said:

" I was saying how this game was going to fail, Treyarch is horrible, COD sucks, nothing will be better than 4...  

What the hell was your purpose of buying it if you thought it was going to fail?!   You must be one of THOSE people...

@Jerome85
    said:

This game will last me until next november when the next COD comes out. "

It should be next NEXT November...
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By yakov456

This is a huge surprise to me. I really thought this game didn't have the legs to sell like this. Maybe the clever t.v. commercial sucked in a bunch of casual gamers as well.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By FinalDasa

Who keeps buying these?

tranceaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tranceaddix
    @awesomeusername said:
    " @TranceAddix said:
    " I was saying how this game was going to fail, Treyarch is horrible, COD sucks, nothing will be better than 4...  
    What the hell was your purpose of buying it if you thought it was going to fail?! You must be ne of THOSE people...

@Jerome85
    said:
     This game will last me until next november when the next COD comes out. "
    It should be next NEXT November... "
    I forgot to support my post by saying that  I rented it. Otherwise, yes, I did look like one of those people...
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By awesomeusername
    @TranceAddix said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    " @TranceAddix said:
    What the hell was your purpose of buying it if you thought it was going to fail?! You must be ne of THOSE people...

I forgot to support my post by saying that  I rented it. Otherwise, yes, I did look like one of those people... "
    Oh, ok then. Well, then that's not that bad.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By awesomeusername
    @yakov456 said:
    " This is a huge surprise to me. I really thought this game didn't have the legs to sell like this. Maybe the clever t.v. commercial sucked in a bunch of casual gamers as well. "
    Did it suck you in???
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Xeiphyer

I think a lot of people also bought it because they heard how amazing the last game was. Call of Duty is pretty mainstream after all, and both Black Ops and MW2 have gotten a lot of news coverage.

grhud5194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By grhud5194

I wonder if this means Black Ops will sell more than Modern Warfare 2, or that a lot of people who bought Modern Warfare 2 later in its lifecycle bought Black Ops sooner than last year?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By ch13696
    @CornBREDX said:
    " I barely saw any ads for this game (saw way more MoH ads). I'm interested in this game for other reasons. I haven't been able to get it yet though. "
    I don't know where you live, but where I'm at (California) the ads are everywhere. It's even on every single news channel in Los Angeles. It's on FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, KTLA, and KCAL. This just goes to show that it will continue to sell. 

Now, I have a lot of doubts for next year. Due to the three Call of Duty developers. If Treyarch does it then it will turn into Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, and Spider-Man because of them doing it yearly. We're are used to seeing it passed between Infinity Ward and Treyarch every year, giving the developers enough time to come up with something good. 

This leads to Infinity Ward. That team has lost most of their best people due to the claims that Activision didn't pay out their bonus. Who knows what kind of team is left to take care of the next Call of Duty game. We don't even know if it will be them. 

Finally, the last team that Activision pointed out will do a different kind of Call of Duty. Sledgehammer Games. I don't know what games they have done or what kind of experience they have. I'm not saying they will suck, but I'm hoping they come out with something decent.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HydraHam
    @CornBREDX said:
    really? i rarely watch tv and i saw ads all over the place, in stores, all over the web, a ton of commercials on TV and i rarely even watch it, i don't even have normal cable i just get 13 channels lol.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Red12b
    @FinalDasa said:
    "Who keeps buying these? "

5.4 million people apparently.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Sweet, Black Ops is a Hell of a game.

liquidsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By liquidsol

Oh great, now they're going to make another one.  Thankfully the market isn't flooded with shooters, so we could always use more... :/

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rawrz

I expected this game to sell worse since its not Modern Warfare and because so many people hated on MW2 and that got such rave reviews. This still reviewed well but they werent nearly the MW2 numbers so  im surprised this sold even more. Guess the worst part about this all is the fact that this series still wont die.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By microshock
    @Ragdrazi said:
    " After what Activision did to Infinity Ward, there are a lot of gamers who should feel ashamed of themselves right now. "
    Oh you mean the craptacular studio that brought us the broken/glitchy/buggy mess that was MW2?
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By cstrang
    @Matt_ said:
    " I guess people don't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. They just know Call of Duty. "
    This.
    patrick5152003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By patrick5152003

that's not the only thing it broke.. ohhhhhh

humbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By humbug

Word.  Innovation from here on out, guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.