Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Just when I think I'm done...they pull me back in!

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Edited By MightyDuck

This morning I decided to watch a bit of the TNT from last night with the Battlefield 3 DLC. Seeing the game made me think that I should give BF3 another go. I had not played the game since late Winter/Early Spring. Anyway, I popped the game in the ol' PS3 and realized I needed to download a 2000 MB patch. I'm assuming that was the recent update to allow the new DLC to work. I did not have that available on my hard drive, and didn't feel like waiting to download it so I decided to give Black Ops another go.

I played a decent amount of Black Ops last year when it had come out and still the occasional match of Zombies with friends. I wouldn't say I'm a huge COD fan, while I did enjoy the original Modern Warfare. After playing a few matches I was hooked again. I really did miss the fast paced multiplayer. Getting back into Black Ops has sort of renewed my interest in the COD Series as a whole. I would typically be the first to tell you that the series has run it's course and I'm tired of hearing about it. I never got around to trying out MW3 so perhaps that has kept me from being burnt out.

Obviously games like Battlefield and Black Ops are sort of two different entities. BF3 tends to focus on the large scale battles, besides the recent DLC (from what I've heard) and COD focuses on the extremely frantic close quarters game play. Large scale battles are good in my book as well. I absolutely loved MAG and played it to a great degree.

Too be honest, I was a bit surprised that I was excited to jump back into the COD series. I can honestly say that I'm psyched for Blacks Ops 2 and curious to see what Activision/Treyarch bring to the table with the latest version. This is something I never thought I would say.

Has anybody else sort of caught that COD itch again lately after an extended period away from it? Maybe it's just me.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

This morning I decided to watch a bit of the TNT from last night with the Battlefield 3 DLC. Seeing the game made me think that I should give BF3 another go. I had not played the game since late Winter/Early Spring. Anyway, I popped the game in the ol' PS3 and realized I needed to download a 2000 MB patch. I'm assuming that was the recent update to allow the new DLC to work. I did not have that available on my hard drive, and didn't feel like waiting to download it so I decided to give Black Ops another go.

I played a decent amount of Black Ops last year when it had come out and still the occasional match of Zombies with friends. I wouldn't say I'm a huge COD fan, while I did enjoy the original Modern Warfare. After playing a few matches I was hooked again. I really did miss the fast paced multiplayer. Getting back into Black Ops has sort of renewed my interest in the COD Series as a whole. I would typically be the first to tell you that the series has run it's course and I'm tired of hearing about it. I never got around to trying out MW3 so perhaps that has kept me from being burnt out.

Obviously games like Battlefield and Black Ops are sort of two different entities. BF3 tends to focus on the large scale battles, besides the recent DLC (from what I've heard) and COD focuses on the extremely frantic close quarters game play. Large scale battles are good in my book as well. I absolutely loved MAG and played it to a great degree.

Too be honest, I was a bit surprised that I was excited to jump back into the COD series. I can honestly say that I'm psyched for Blacks Ops 2 and curious to see what Activision/Treyarch bring to the table with the latest version. This is something I never thought I would say.

Has anybody else sort of caught that COD itch again lately after an extended period away from it? Maybe it's just me.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

Black Ops is my favourite Call of Duty, I loved the single player and the multiplayer was just fantastic. I spent tons of hours with it and prestiged a couple of times. I haven't touched it since MW3, I have always had the idea that I buy a COD game, play it for a year until the next one comes out then never play that one again. But I agree I may just jump back into Black Ops, I didn't really get into MW3 multiplayer.

Fuck it going to boot up some Black Ops right now!

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By spartanlolz92

i cant do it the sequels have put such a sour taste in my mouth

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MightyDuck

@Hizang: I hear ya. I ended up playing for about an hour and a half last night and really enjoyed the game again.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

@MightyDuck: I ended up just playing an hour, had some issues finding games, I managed to find me a nice Team Deathmatch though where I remembered how good I am at Black Ops.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

While I am a massive advocate of large battles and vehicles, as well as better graphics and animations and new concepts and mechanics (which is why I love BF3 so much), I have to admit that the Call of Duty formula appeases our most basic multiplayer shooting instincts in a way that no one else had matched so far. 
    Same tech, same gameplay, rehashed everything, true, but it still connects with the shooting caveman in each one of us in a great way. 

I realized this when I played the COD rip-off BF3 maps - Close Quarters. I actually enjoyed devolving into a basic frantic creature that didn't use his brain to play. No strategical flag capture, no vehicles to man (or fear and shoot down), nothing. Just running around like an imbecile in circles, shooting dudes. 
    And this is where the difference lies. With all due respect, some of us want more than being primitive, mindless run and gun drones, which is why we pursue Battlefield. The real Battlefield. 

But hey, primitive or not, that's my personal opinion. You're enjoying running around shooting and getting shot, and that's what games are about - enjoying yourself. So I'm glad that you are.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MightyDuck

@AhmadMetallic said:

I actually enjoyed devolving into a basic frantic creature that didn't use his brain to play. No strategical flag capture, no vehicles to man (or fear and shoot down), nothing. Just running around like an imbecile in circles, shooting dudes. And this is where the difference lies. With all due respect, some of us want more than being primitive, mindless run and gun drones, which is why we pursue Battlefield. The real Battlefield. But hey, primitive or not, that's my personal opinion. You're enjoying running around shooting and getting shot, and that's what games are about - enjoying yourself. So I'm glad that you are.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. Perhaps it was just a nice change of pace to go back to that mindless running around, as you had mentioned. I'm all for Battlefield 3, and do need to return to it. There is nothing like the huge maps and having to successfully coordinate your movements with team mates. I can't even imagine how much great it is on the PC. I would imagine the PS3 version fails in comparison for sure regarding player counts and map sizes.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

I got the itch to play the other day, I loaded up a game, they threw me into Nuketown... then I remembered why I quit playing. I'll probably do the same with Black Ops 2, buy it, play the campaign, play the online for a week or so, then put it on the shelf and never play again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Black Ops is a great Call of Duty game but I dislike most of the maps the community finds amazing. Looking at your Nuketown. I'll pop it in every now and again but I don't think I could ever get heavily into a Call of Duty game again I've just played too much of the earlier ones. Also MW3 really soured my taste on the whole thing. Oh and the zombie mode is awesome. On the other hand I would totaly buy a stand alone zombie game and play the shit out of that.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MightyDuck

@Irvandus said:

On the other hand I would totaly buy a stand alone zombie game and play the shit out of that.

I would do the exact same thing. I am a bit curious to see if the mode is expanded at all with Black Ops 2.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By kindgineer

@Hizang: Ugh, stop tempting me to boot up my copy. I agree with you on MW3 though, it just didn't feel right. It may be just that Treyarch makes better COD's now, even before Infinity Ward bit the bullet.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

I sold it about two months ago. Damn it, you people are making me want it back!

Honestly, though, I never could get into Black Ops multiplayer. I can't pinpoint the reason why, but I think it had a lot to do with the fact that your guns recoil all over the place when you fire them and I had a hard time finding something that didn't do that. Props, however, go to the "buying" system of getting new guns and stuff. I thought that added a really nice twist to things and really gives a reason to go and do more things, plus it allowed for the wager matches which were a great idea.

MW3 scrapped all of that. Skip that game. Just skip it. I couldn't have been any less bored with it.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By droop

I played a lot of MW2 and Black Ops (200 or so MP hours). I bought MW3 after having played 300~ hours of BF3. And I absolutely hated it. It felt slow, and very old. The guns weren't fun and the constant UAV or other kill streaks got on my nerves. Maps were pretty poor and the sounds and graphics are pretty terrible.

For me, Battlefield 3 is superior in all fields when compared to COD. If I ever pay another COD game it either has to be completely different (next gen stuff) or because there is cheap russian CD key available (as there was for MW3).

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Black Ops is definitely my favorite post-MW Call of Duty game. Getting a group of six people together and playing gun game is incredibly fun. For matchmaking we were all about hardcore search and destroy.

MW3 feels like a step back. WHY CAN'T I DOLPHIN DIVE?!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's funny you say that right now (or 11 hours ago actually), I've been feeling like playing Black Ops today.

Modern Warfare 3 haven't really been doing it for me, hell I'll jump into Black Ops right now...

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By DrHawking

@AhmadMetallic said:

While I am a massive advocate of large battles and vehicles, as well as better graphics and animations and new concepts and mechanics (which is why I love BF3 so much), I have to admit that the Call of Duty formula appeases our most basic multiplayer shooting instincts in a way that no one else had matched so far. Same tech, same gameplay, rehashed everything, true, but it still connects with the shooting caveman in each one of us in a great way. I realized this when I played the COD rip-off BF3 maps - Close Quarters. I actually enjoyed devolving into a basic frantic creature that didn't use his brain to play. No strategical flag capture, no vehicles to man (or fear and shoot down), nothing. Just running around like an imbecile in circles, shooting dudes. And this is where the difference lies. With all due respect, some of us want more than being primitive, mindless run and gun drones, which is why we pursue Battlefield. The real Battlefield. But hey, primitive or not, that's my personal opinion. You're enjoying running around shooting and getting shot, and that's what games are about - enjoying yourself. So I'm glad that you are.

That's a great way to put it. I love the battlefield series because it offers that extra something I like in my shooters. Sometimes though, it feels great just to turn your brain off and play a few matches of a COD style shooter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.