Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

That One Stealth Mission with Reznov

Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Maclintok

Hi folks, 
    This mission is pretty messed up.  This is the one where you are on a docked ship and start it off by slamming a sickle or pickaxe thing into a guy's neck.  You're supposed to follow Reznov and stay in the shadows.  The problem is that I get to about the 3rd waypoint where Reznov is flat-out standing beneath a blazing bright lamp and no matter what I do we're spotted and the mission fails.  I keep standing in a different area, making sure to stay in the darkness but the scripting in this mission keeps making the enemies detect us. 

I must be missing something obvious.  Kind of embarrassed to be stuck on this "stealth for dummies" mission but that's the way it is.  Any help would be great :) 

thanks

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Watch Reznov'z hand, he often gives a little wave when he wants you to move forward and kill the guard. 

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I still maintain that any game where stealth is not the primary focus never executes it well, and stuff like this proves it.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xMP44x

Do you have the AK-74u yet? Or are you at the point where three guys go walking past a shipping crate you're hiding at? Forgive me, but I can't place the third waypoint. In any case, what Hamz said is a good method of staying alive. When Reznov takes cover, stay back a few paces and see if you're able to progress then.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Aus_azn
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " I still maintain that any game where stealth is not the primary focus never executes it well, and stuff like this proves it. "
    You can't say that Modern Warfare 1's "All Ghillied Up" level was bad, though.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

Alternatively just run right up and kill the dude. my dad got stuck here too.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite killing him after finishing his radio conversation you will get spotted, kill him before-hand (when Reznov gives you a visual hint).

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Maclintok: Yeah, I got stuck there a couple times, too. Just run up and stab that guy with the checkpoint marker above him. The game doesn't really let you know.
    Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maclintok

Aaaah.  Thanks all.  I will try rushing in to kill the guard after Reznov does his hand signal.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By PillClinton

ooooh, i know what part you're having trouble with.  what you gotta do is kill dudes.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @President_Barackbar said:
    " I still maintain that any game where stealth is not the primary focus never executes it well, and stuff like this proves it. "
    You can't say that Modern Warfare 1's "All Ghillied Up" level was bad, though. "
    good times... 
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Aus_azn said:
    You can't say that Modern Warfare 1's "All Ghillied Up" level was bad, though. "
    it was fucking amazing the first, maybe second time through. then you realize it's call of duty and you're basically just running along a cleverly disguised corridor while you are explicitly told what to do

as an experience, fucking sublime - as a stealth game, barely worth mentioning.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Three0neFive said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    it was fucking amazing the first, maybe second time through. then you realize it's call of duty and you're basically just running along a cleverly disguised corridor while you are explicitly told what to do "

Ah, video games...
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By jkz
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    it was fucking amazing the first, maybe second time through. then you realize it's call of duty and you're basically just running along a cleverly disguised corridor while you are explicitly told what to do "
    Ah, video games... "
    I just realised...I hate all video games.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About that mission in COD4, its not that I thought it was bad so much as its the exception that proves the rule because it was uncharacteristically good.

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
    SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

@President_Barackbar said:

"I still maintain that any game where stealth is not the primary focus never executes it well, and stuff like this proves it. "

This. 

@Maclintok: 
    Yeah, the mission is terrible.  But don't worry too much about what makes sense, just, as the others have said, follow the cues from Reznov. 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By valrog
    @Aus_azn said:
    Or Modern Warfare 2 sniping with Price in the snow... Good times. Mostly becaue the awesomeness that are snow levels. Price might have something to do with it, too.

Anyway, yeah this is executed pretty badly, but it's not the most frustrating part in the game. That obviously goes to Khe Sanh.
    AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AnimalFather

played this game 3 times and i never had any problems with that level. are u playing on a pc?
    lennoxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lennoxxx
    @President_Barackbar:  Hit the nail on the head man.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Subjugation
    @valrog said:

" @Aus_azn said:

Or Modern Warfare 2 sniping with Price in the snow... Good times. Mostly becaue the awesomeness that are snow levels. Price might have something to do with it, too. Anyway, yeah this is executed pretty badly, but it's not the most frustrating part in the game. That obviously goes to Khe Sanh. "  
    Amen to this. The whole game would have been better if they had stayed away from the cheesy infinitely respawning enemy tactic. At some point you have to charge in and hope you can take out all of the guys that have pin point accuracy before they wipe the floor with you. Poking your head around a corner to be instantly pegged 4 times isn't my idea of a challenge, that's my idea of being annoying and cheap. 

Edit: @OP, just like others have said, I suspect you are at the point where you have to axe the dude that is walking away from you in the lit corridor. I got stuck there myself and thought I wasn't hiding well enough.  The game does  a poor job of instructing you at that point.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By valrog
    @weeman105:  That's not all, it appears that you're supposed to blow up the Napalm barrels so they stop spawning. And it's so glitched that the game doesn't even tell you that you're supposed to do that! Nothing! Sure, Woods mentions it, but then again Woods says a lot of unrelated stuff and a small indicator would sure as hell be nice.
    Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    good times...  "
    Hell yeah, that mission was really, really great.
    Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Or Modern Warfare 2 sniping with Price in the snow... Good times. Mostly becaue the awesomeness that are snow levels. Price might have something to do with it, too. Anyway, yeah this is executed pretty badly, but it's not the most frustrating part in the game. That obviously goes to Khe Sanh. "
    Oh man, Khe Sanh. Dudes, and dudes, and dudes. Some annoying frustrating mission is what is. Woods never seem to cover you properly, and you end laying on the ground with your screen flashing realizing you just died and smasching your controller.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Getz
    @Aus_azn said:
    especially on veteran
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By valrog
    @OutOfBounds9000 said:
    "
    Oh man, Khe Sanh. Dudes, and dudes, and dudes. Some annoying frustrating mission is what is. Woods never seem to cover you properly, and you end laying on the ground with your screen flashing realizing you just died and smasching your controller. "
    I experienced a Vietcong run up the hill and knifed all the Marines (That was on the very top of the hill where you have to get down, where Woods says "Let's fucking go." (Funny line, because cussing was so not needed)) so.... yeah.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @OutOfBounds9000 said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    good times...  "
    Hell yeah, that mission was really, really great. "
    why did they have to ruin the series with these annual releases? i miss feeling the rush of seeing a new Call of Duty game get released.. CoD4 was the last prophet  :'(
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ahmad_Metallic:  Its because its the new Activision moneymaking strategy under Kotick. Once the public bites on a franchise, ram it down their throats until they stop buying and move on to a new IP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.