The worst SP campaign of the COD series?

• 90 results
kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By kmg90

Having just completed the singleplayer campaign on Black Ops twice (second time to collect all the intel)

I just want to say that I NEVER want to play another single player mission again, ANY, NOT a single mission...
This is coming from a gamer that has played through the campaigns of all the previous games upto 5 times on multiple difficulties

The story was so bland, even for a call of duty game (which I know isn't know isn't the best place to find GREAT stories). I like the fact that they gave a voice to the played character but did they have to choose Sam Worthington? His dosier says he's an american but yet his accent is all over the place, you can hear Sam's aussie accent, slipping in and out all the time.  

And they had to use Gary Oldman's annoying  voice TWICE!?
However I did find Ed Harris to be a good pick for the character, however his story not  so much.
The press <button> to <insert action here> parts were just plain bad....

MAJOR PROBLEM

The AI was the worst I've ever seen for BOTH sides of the battlefield, I've been killed so many times following a sqaudmates (like the game instructs you to do) and have a enemies that IGNORES the friendly (that also is IGNORING said enemy)  shoot and kill me instead.

The "flashbacks" were annoying, seriously what a way to break the flow of game-play than to have short unskippble that does absolutely nothing but disrupt said flow.

I love the return of the infinite respawning soldiers and grenades, the Kahn San Level is absolutely a nightmare. 

The real only enjoyable moments?

The helicopter parts were a nice addition but that's about it

The only thing that stands out among all the other CODs that impressed me a lot, were the extras, the computer terminal and the offline combat "simulator"

I know some people would say that SP campaigns have never been CODs strong point but I bet some would agree this is probably the weakest single player campaign of the series
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

you say its the worst but you played it twice? 

and i disagree. 

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I think MW2 was the worst campaign in the series, but thats just me. 
MoeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MoeB

Ya MW2's campaign was very mediocre. It was like watching a Michael Bay movie but worse.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
" I think MW2 was the worst campaign in the series, but thats just me.  "
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@MoeB said:
" Ya MW2's campaign was very mediocre. It was like watching a Michael Bay movie but worse. "
And I guess CoD 4 was a Spielberg-esque masterpiece of ACTSHUN. 

Both MW and MW2 were practically the same thing. Call of Duty: Finest Hour provided maybe not the worst per se, but the most unmemorable.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@kmg90: "  And they had to use Gary Oldman's annoying  voice TWICE!?" 

This already nullifies your argument. Gary Oldman is a great actor. 
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zombie2011

I was sooo disappointed in the campaign, i didn't know much about this game before i bought it so i thought the game was about Vietnam. 

The Vietnam levels were fucking awesome, however everything else was kinda lame. It was basically trying to be MW2 again with the whole Russians are attacking, and those levels were kinda boring. So sad, that this game didn't have more Vietnam stuff because it was so good, loved the music the atmosphere and watching those choppers flying above me reminded me of all the great Vietnam movies.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tunaburn

youre one of the few people that think that. it got amazing reviews and i think its great.

Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jones

I don't know if its the worst campaign of the COD franchise but it was the cod game that I found to have the most boring campaign so far of the COD games that I have played. That might have to do with me tireing of the COD singleplayer formula I dunno. Its just not as fun any more. It feels like the game never opens up. Now I know that COD is a very linear affair but it usually has some moments that feel open even if they are linear but in Black Ops it felt like I was running down a corridor the entire time and the cliche action moments had me yawning. That being said there were some cool moments but nothing really  "HOLY CRAP THAT WAS F'ING AWESOME". It was just... okay. Probably never gonna touch the singleplayer again.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Jones said:
" I don't know if its the worst campaign of the COD franchise but it was the cod game that I found to have the most boring campaign so far of the COD games that I have played. That might have to do with me tireing of the COD singleplayer formula I dunno. Its just not as fun any more. It feels like the game never opens up. Now I know that COD is a very linear affair but it usually has some moments that feel open even if they are linear but in Black Ops it felt like I was running down a corridor the entire time and the cliche action moments had me yawning. That being said there were some cool moments but nothing really  "HOLY CRAP THAT WAS F'ING AWESOME". It was just... okay. Probably never gonna touch the singleplayer again. "
Treyarch's way of making campaigns can be divisive. They do not have that awesome IW THIS SHITE IS COOLS LETS DO THIS spark which can be a turn off to some
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I like what I have seen so far. Just finished "Broken English" 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ArchScabby

COD 3 was sooooo boring.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Vinny_Says

you obviously haven't played Big Red One.....also Black Ops was a great campaign, it was a million times better than World at War, that's probably why my expectations were so low, but luckily they were surpassed.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EvilTwin

I haven't played this game but I already know that Gary Oldman's voice was the best thing about it. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I bet I'll love it. I've thought all the COD games from COD4 and on have had excellent campaigns.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By huntad

Nope it was one of the best.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45

I've played every CoD starting with CoD2 and beyond. 

The one I think is the best is CoD2. 

The one I think was the worst is either WaW or Blackops. There was a lot of really good stuff in both, but both had parts that just dragged on and simply weren't that great. 

I guess that applies to MW2 as well, but I think that was a bit more consistent. 

MW1 was pretty decent all around, but nothing comes close to CoD2 for me in terms of campaign. 

Oh and I never played CoD3 SP past the first hour because my disk broke.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MiniPato

I thought it was a great campaign. I think a lot of the faults you stated can be found in MW2 and CoD4.

I only prefer MW2 or CoD4's because IW does a good job of making the battlefield feel intense as shit with RPGs and a hail of bullets showering the field with dirt kicking up everywhere (just look up the first battle in MW2). I noticed what was different between Black Ops and MW2 is that MW2 had a lot more battle chatter and military terms thrown around which feels cool. Even the Vietnam levels in Black Ops didn't feel like you were fighting a war (though some would argue it wasn't a "War" it was a "conflict" but same they're the same thing when you're on the ground fighting). Their in game dialog was too story focused instead of situationally focused on the battle in front of them. That combined with the fact that they don't do as many large scale battles (discounting the one in the trenches which was great) really makes this game seem smaller in scope compared to past CoDs. IW also paces their levels better and almost never leaves a dull moment. I think the music could have been better in Black Ops to make some of the battles feel more intense and urgent.

Not a fan of the main character either, Sam Worthington is partly to blame. I found Hudson and Woods to be total badasses though. I would have liked Reznov if he stopped saying "Russian guy Russian guy German guy, they all must die.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By kenzo287

i loved the cod4 story and liked the mw2 one. black ops was worse than mw2 but not by much. still liked it, glad i bought it, dont care enough to play again though

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Bloodgraiv3:@Bloodgraiv3: 

You guys are crazy... But also, I may be a little jaded because I hardly take anyone seriously anymore when they say Modern Warfare 2 isn't that great. Not because I'm some kind of uber fan of the game, but because the game was a very solid, over the top exhilarating experience, and the interweb needs to hate on some popular things every once in a while...
Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jerome85

worst?  thats your opinion.   I happened to enjoy it a lot.  Was pleasantly surprised by the single player campaign.  second, the accent didn't bother me at all.  so you pretty much took everything jeff said in his review and used it as your own opinion?  that's surprising.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By mikemcn

Its the 3rd best Call of Duty story actually. I might even put it above 4, but its really hard to say for sure, I'd have to replay both.

COD2, COD4, BLOPS

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24  Edited By ShinjiEx

The best SP campaign of the COD series!

Facepalm Fixed
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@LiquidPrince: 

I just found it to be the worst in the series, especially compared to CoD4, everything was inferior in my opinion. It went from semi realistic story telling, to, asplozionz!
MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MiniPato

MW2 wins for me in terms of constant adrenalin pumping action and hollywood holy shits. Absurd as hell with implausible story? Sure, not what you'd expect from CoD. But it's a fun and thrilling ride all the way through. It's scripted events and set piece moments are the best in the series.

Black Ops was good too. I only wish more of the game were like the beginning level in Cuba. Kowloon was also a great level, probably the best one in Black Ops. I felt the stuff in the Vietnamese jungles were fairly weak. Though I was never a fan of jungle levels.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mesklinite

I liked the story in this one. I regret buying it on PC, horrible choice. Some level design decisions didn't sit well with me. If I die, for doing something you tell me, fuck off.
jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jayjonesjunior
@TwoOneFive said:
" you say its the worst but you played it twice?  and i disagree.  "
so what is the worst?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead

Everything I've heard about this single player makes it sound like a farce that's tied together with real world events and that's what makes it so special. I'll play it myself before I say definitely but based on CoD 3 and World at War, I can't see Treyarch producing anything better than Infinity Ward, not by a long shot, and that's reflected in how overloaded the game is in gimmicks.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Milkman

I'm sorry but anyone who says that Modern Warfare 2 is the worst Call of Duty campaign is wrong. You're honestly going to tell me that you'd rather play the Call of Duty 3 or Big Red One or Finest Hour over MW 2? Bullshit. This "I HATE POPULAR THINGS" internet attitude is just so unbelievably stupid.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mano521

i dunno. i actually wanted to see what was going on in this campaign. the others were just basic, go here do army stuff come back. this one i felt had you doin more shit

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I greatly disliked CoD3's campaign, I've enjoyed the rest (though I haven't played the first one...)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Animasta

the only one I've played otherwise was CoD4 but I liked this one better, if they had gotten someone who didn't turn into an australian at random, this would be a really really great campaign.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By zameer

It felt pretty disjointed and I never really cared for the characters too much. Treyarch borrowed too many elements from too many movies, so it came across as cliched and uninspiring.  That being said, I appreciated the attempt to break the mould and provide much more variety in a COD campaign.  It was a fun 6 hours, but yeah story wasn't too memorable. 

Multiplayer is totally tits, though.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I really liked the campaign, and the infinite spawns and grenades don't bother me because I just played through on normal.
DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DarkTravesty
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HandsomeDead
@DarkTravesty said:
" @Bloodgraiv3 said:
"
Why?
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By csl316

i had fun.  and Gary Oldman is awesome

AndyMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AndyMP

No love for WaW ? I liked that campaign a lot out of any WW2 game I've played.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By meteora

COD4's single player was a fucking masterpiece in my opinion, if not, a classic in my books. It was at least somewhat believable in the real world. Some of the most lovable characters I am fond for are in COD4 and you felt like you were in a real team instead of being a one man show (see "Crew Expendable" or any other missions). They also have one of the surprising fan favourite "All Ghillied Up" mission, which is a great stealth mission that is sorely missing in especially MW2 (at least Black Ops had a few stealth sequences that didn't turn awry few minutes later). And really, the nuke was one of the most surreal and OMGWTF moment I've ever experienced in my gaming life.

MW2's had a pretty good campaign, but as Jeff expresses it, the campaign tries to do some kind of big "wow" moment every 30 minutes and it got exhausting; not to mention everything was blown out of proportions and there were MANY plot holes that confused the hell out of me. The hollywood production was pretty much the same as watching a Michael Bay's movie. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of memorable missions that I recall other than "No Russian".

Black Ops is up in the air. I find the story to be interesting and a change of pacing in how the story is told, but there were a few confusing objectives and sometimes the AI ignores your teammates and just runs straight for you. Its just as crazy as MW2, but for some reason it seems to be a little bit easier to take in. The change of locations is great and there's no bullshitting "7 day war" found in Call of Duty 4 or Modern Warfare 2.

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shadyspace

MW2's campaign was big, dumb fun. Black Ops was just dumb.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By inkerman

At least this one made sense, MW2 was just explosions inter-spaced with the words "History is written by the victors"

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Both MW and MW2 were practically the same thing "
Kind of, yeah but MW2's campaign doesn't make any sense at all.
SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SammydesinasNL
@ArchScabby said:
"COD 3 was sooooo boring. "

This, I don't think CoD 3's campaign can ever be beaten in shittyness.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Enigma777

The Vietnam trenches level was just awful. Just awful...

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Black Ops was better then both MW2 and WAW. I really don't understand some your complaints. The Sam stuff? Yea, he sounded aussie but I was able to look past it.
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pweidman

No, not at all.  Treyarch's best effort by far.  I liked MW2's campaign better, but there were many very cool moments in this game too.  CoD's worst campaign?  I think CoD3 gets that distinction.
FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FirePrince

CoD 3 was by far the worst campaign.It was very,very boring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this is really bad trolling.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Call of Duty 3 was easliy the worst.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.