Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Torture has become an accepted part of war?

• 112 results
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By Kyreo
    @natetodamax said:
    " The dude that reviewed the game for Game Informer was also disturbed by the scene. I do not understand why people found it so disturbing. I guess punching a guy in the face twice is more evil and unsettling than shooting countless numbers of people throughout the game. Makes no sense to me personally. "
    Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Troispoint

The TC's priorities are fucked. Killing hundreds of enemies should be much more unsettling. And what the hell makes you think that torture is an accepted part of war because you saw it in a video game???

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By lamegame621
    @Kierkegaard said:
    " Torture is illegal and ineffectual, but it's been accepted in pop culture as long as it seems justified in the fucked up logic of the narrative. In reality, the ticking time bomb case never happens. In reality, 24 is bullshit. But, in reality, administrations that use torture and basically brag about it are not brought to justice and allowed to write memoirs about it instead, so I can't blame the public for being so open to its inclusion in war.  "
    Holy shit, best answer.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Kyreo said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " The dude that reviewed the game for Game Informer was also disturbed by the scene. I do not understand why people found it so disturbing. I guess punching a guy in the face twice is more evil and unsettling than shooting countless numbers of people throughout the game. Makes no sense to me personally. "
    "
    Obviously you have no concept of scale, personalization and a million other basic things.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By mordukai
    @mr_moustache: Torture is the worst way to get information out of someone. At the end (if the subject doesn't die) you'll hear what you want to hear and not necessarily what you need to hear. True interrogation is an art form that almost never involves torture. Torture is when you truly want the subject to suffer pain and not really interested in information. Don't ask how I know this. 
    Avatar image for iichristian89ii
    IIChristian89II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By IIChristian89II

It did not disturb me.  Its fictional, a video game. 

If i were to watch someone in the real world being tortured then yes i might be a bit disturbed.  

But this ISNT REAL!!!!!! :D

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Example1013

Do you find this more disturbing than the flashback sniper mission in CoD 4? In that mission, you look right into your target's face, and stare him down before shooting him. You look into his eyes. But that's less disturbing than punching a guy in the face with glass in his mouth? You're not even fake killing the guy; you're just causing pain.

And you've got to realize that most of the dudes you're "killing" with guns wouldn't actually die that fast. Unless they got shot in the head (and even then), they'd be alive for minutes, if not hours, lying there as their life slowly ebbs away.

Honestly, I'd say that, if you're disturbed by this, then video games still haven't quite reached the effectiveness that the medium has potential for. When you look down the scope at a target and say "that's a human being I'm about to squeeze this trigger on", and you reflect on whether or not you're willing to make that headshot, then you've reached what real war is like; not mowing down hundreds of guys from a distance, but looking into your enemy's eye, seeing the person, and having to make that shot.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It felt silly to do, but I guess its part of the stereotype.

I was more shocked when he pulled out dual pistols after the scene, freaking mental!

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#109  Edited By Kierkegaard
    @lamegame621 said:
    " @Kierkegaard said:
    " Torture is illegal and ineffectual, but it's been accepted in pop culture as long as it seems justified in the fucked up logic of the narrative. In reality, the ticking time bomb case never happens. In reality, 24 is bullshit. But, in reality, administrations that use torture and basically brag about it are not brought to justice and allowed to write memoirs about it instead, so I can't blame the public for being so open to its inclusion in war.  "
    Holy shit, best answer. "
    Suffice it to say I'm writing a philosophy thesis on torture right now, so it's kinda on my mind, as are my arguments. It gives me this weird feeling of informed elitism when I read some answers on here, but I guess my time is better spent writing the damn thing than refuting people here. Thanks for noticing!
    Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By Mighty

"Remember... No Russian"

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#111  Edited By slax
    @zombie2011 said:
    " That was such a weird part of the game.   I'm sitting there torturing this guy then, 5 seconds later he is handing me guns and helping me escape Russians.  "
    That's exactly how I felt... 

"Don't hit me! Oh here is my secret stash of guns!" 

But whatever I had fun with it.
    Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By Godot
    @Kierkegaard said:
    " @lamegame621 said:
    " @Kierkegaard said:
    Suffice it to say I'm writing a philosophy thesis on torture right now, so it's kinda on my mind, as are my arguments. It gives me this weird feeling of informed elitism when I read some answers on here, but I guess my time is better spent writing the damn thing than refuting people here. Thanks for noticing! "
    Cool, you're back in the philosophy game? Nice to see dying in 1855 hasn't stopped you :D
    Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#113  Edited By Kierkegaard
    @Godot said:
    " @Kierkegaard said:
    " @lamegame621 said:
    " @Kierkegaard said:
    Suffice it to say I'm writing a philosophy thesis on torture right now, so it's kinda on my mind, as are my arguments. It gives me this weird feeling of informed elitism when I read some answers on here, but I guess my time is better spent writing the damn thing than refuting people here. Thanks for noticing! "
    Cool, you're back in the philosophy game? Nice to see dying in 1855 hasn't stopped you :D "
    Yeah, all these snot-nosed rookies with their bleeding-heart social liberalism and that jive talking Cornell West made me get up off my spiritual ass and get back to truth telling. Still lookin' for that knight of faith, though....   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.