Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Bad writing.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By TomA

Want examples of bad writing and douche-baggery? Read the comments on this video.  

Remind me how this franchise keeps breaking records?

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By hwy_61

It's fun?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Looks like standard comments you would see on any youtube video.  Not sure how quality of comments = game sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I remember when we just bought fucking games and enjoyed them without calling people idiots for enjoying the game they don't like.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jtmosh

Anti-Call of Duty people are so much more annoying than pro-Call of Duty people; at least the pro people tend to stay to themselves. You don't like Call of Duty, we get it, enough already.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah they just look like regular YouTube comments.  I dont see any pointless bickering going on by Battlefield and CoD fans (as far as I can tell) so its not too bad

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @JTMosh said:

Anti-Call of Duty people are so much more annoying than pro-Call of Duty people; at least the pro people tend to stay to themselves. You don't like Call of Duty, we get it, enough already.

Could not have said it better myself.   And no one ever took me up on arguing this point: http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/61-35129/this-game-is-a-glorified-expansion-packperiod/35-513003/?page=7 

@SpaceInsomniac

said: 

Okay, please come back to this thread and tell me if you agree or disagree with this logic.  MW3 has a new campaign, new weapons, new abilities, new game types, new features, and new levels for multiplayer.  Despite this, it uses basically the the same graphics engine as previous recent games in the series (aside from some upgrades), and features the same general style of gameplay.  With this in mind, please tell me which of these sequels do you also believe to be glorified expansion packs.   

Assassins Creed: Revelations   

Gears of War 3    

Mass Effect 3    

Uncharted 3   

Super Mario Galaxy 2   

Just use this same sentence, and insert the games above into the blank space.   

_______ has a new campaign, new weapons, new abilities, new game types, new features, and (if applicable) new levels for multiplayer. Despite this, it uses basically the the same graphics engine as previous recent games in the series (aside from some upgrades), and features the same general style of gameplay.

@TomA

If you're going to debate this issue, at least try to do better than "lol look at the stupid comments people made on the internet!" 
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Bad writing? Call of Duty?

:O

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MiniPato

Unless Activision is picking people off comments boards to write their games, I don't see the connection.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By baconbits33
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    @JTMosh said:

Could not have said it better myself.   And no one ever took me up on arguing this point: http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/61-35129/this-game-is-a-glorified-expansion-packperiod/35-513003/?page=7 

@SpaceInsomniac

said: 

Okay, please come back to this thread and tell me if you agree or disagree with this logic.  MW3 has a new campaign, new weapons, new abilities, new game types, new features, and new levels for multiplayer.  Despite this, it uses basically the the same graphics engine as previous recent games in the series (aside from some upgrades), and features the same general style of gameplay.  With this in mind, please tell me which of these sequels do you also believe to be glorified expansion packs.   

Assassins Creed: Revelations   

Gears of War 3    

Mass Effect 3    

Uncharted 3   

Super Mario Galaxy 2   

Just use this same sentence, and insert the games above into the blank space.   

_______ has a new campaign, new weapons, new abilities, new game types, new features, and (if applicable) new levels for multiplayer. Despite this, it uses basically the the same graphics engine as previous recent games in the series (aside from some upgrades), and features the same general style of gameplay.

@TomA:   If you're going to debate this issue, at least try to do better than "lol look at the stupid comments people made on the internet!" 
    You do know that Mass Effect 3 follows a storyline and the reason people actually play it is for the storyline right? Unlike MW3..... Which in most cases, most people who buy the game don't even finish the campaign. And also another thing to note, none of the games you mentioned are the same type of game as COD, the closest being Gears of War 3, and even then that game is highly different from the COD series. Now I'm not saying that the battle between "anti-CoD and pro-CoD people" isn't annoying, I'm just saying that comparing those games which 4 out of 5 of which are solely played for their storyline, and the one (being Gears) has had a notoriously bad rep for it's multiplayer, is kind of a defunct argument. 
    Now do I have a problem with MW3? Yes I actually do, I am in a way biased, I'm pissed that the game still is using IW 4.0 or 5.0 whatever the fuck they wanna call it, which in reality is actually the id 3.0 engine just a supped up version, (like the Israeli Super Sherman)  that they've been freakin using since CoD 2. Which yes, it pisses me off that Activision is lazy and refuses to make a new engine, or even contract id to use the new 5.0 engine. Seriously I remember using that engine for Goldeneye Rogue Agent.......
    Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Freezer_Burn

Gears of War, Mass Effect, Uncharted, and main series Mario games don't come out on a yearly basis. Modern Warfare 3 isn't going to be an expansion, but it's still not a game that appeals to me personally. People need to stop the bitching, if you don't like it, stop giving it attention.

Also, the comments hating on COD in that video are just as bad as the fans.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By IBurningStar

A lot of people who play CoD online act like douche bags. I don't see why their behavior would change while commenting on a video.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Capum15
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    I remember when we just bought fucking games and enjoyed them without calling people idiots for enjoying the game they don't like.
    Fucking this. We get it, you don't like the game. Let us who enjoy it, enjoy it.
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 9cupsoftea
    @Capum15 said:
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    Fucking this. We get it, you don't like the game. Let us who enjoy it, enjoy it.
    NO! I will STOP you from enjoying them by....discussing them on a forum?
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @baconbits33 said:
    You do know that Mass Effect 3 follows a storyline and the reason people actually play it is for the storyline right? Unlike MW3..... Which in most cases, most people who buy the game don't even finish the campaign. 

Most people don't finish the campaign of most games, not just COD: http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-17/tech/finishing.videogames.snow_1_red-dead-redemption-entertainment-software-association-avid-gamers?_s=PM:TECH

More people have finished COD4 than the population of Finland, over 5.6 million: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43876/10-Million-People-Have-Played-Call-of-Duty-4-Online  

According to the COD Black Ops design director, 30 to 40 percent of people who play single-player never play multiplayer: http://techland.time.com/2010/09/08/black-ops-designer-certain-people-will-never-love-multiplayer/5/ 
    Even at the low end estimate of only 30 percent of total sales, this means that far more people have played the most recent Call of Duty campaign than have played Mass Effect 2.  

And then there's this: http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/61-35129/what-is-the-main-reason-that-you-play-call-of-duty-games/35-500903

@baconbits33 said: 
    And also another thing to note, none of the games you mentioned are the same type of game as COD, the closest being Gears of War 3, and even then that game is highly different from the COD series. Now I'm not saying that the battle between "anti-CoD and pro-CoD people" isn't annoying, I'm just saying that comparing those games which 4 out of 5 of which are solely played for their storyline, and the one (being Gears) has had a notoriously bad rep for it's multiplayer, is kind of a defunct argument.
    MW3, Gears 3, Uncharted 3, and the new Assassin's Creed are all games featuring both single player and multiplayer, and all games that are using improved versions of game engines that were previously used in the series.  And ME3 is looking like it will now feature multiplayer as well.  Why should MW3 be singled out simply because it's multiplayer is more popular than any other multiplayer?

@baconbits33 said: 
     Now do I have a problem with MW3? Yes I actually do, I am in a way biased, I'm pissed that the game still is using IW 4.0 or 5.0 whatever the fuck they wanna call it, which in reality is actually the id 3.0 engine just a supped up version, (like the Israeli Super Sherman)  that they've been freakin using since CoD 2. Which yes, it pisses me off that Activision is lazy and refuses to make a new engine, or even contract id to use the new 5.0 engine.
    If they make another engine, or use id tech 5.0, the game won't be 60 frames per second anymore.  That would affect gameplay, which I would argue is far more important than graphics, wouldn't you agree?
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Make a thread about after you played the whole game.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slaker117
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    But I need to let them know how wrong they are and how I'm so much smarter than them for liking a different game about shooting people!
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By bed

man it really pisses me off when people like a game i don't like and the game didn't even come out yet

Avatar image for callofspartansofwar1337
    CallofSpartansofWar1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol bcuz pple play da game for all da awesum pew! pew!pew! n not cuz tey wanna hear sum gud writing maybe? there r other game for dat!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Tru3_Blu3 said:
    Well played sir. 
    That's all that really needs to be said.
    cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By cornwalliz

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

Agreed

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead

Retards post on all video game videos. Just look at the comments on the Endurance Run videos on this site.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DAFTPUNK

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@baconbits33 said:
    You do know that Mass Effect 3 follows a storyline and the reason people actually play it is for the storyline right? Unlike MW3..... Which in most cases, most people who buy the game don't even finish the campaign.

Most people don't finish the campaign of most games, not just COD: http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-17/tech/finishing.videogames.snow_1_red-dead-redemption-entertainment-software-association-avid-gamers?_s=PM:TECH

More people have finished COD4 than the population of Finland, over 5.6 million: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43876/10-Million-People-Have-Played-Call-of-Duty-4-Online

According to the COD Black Ops design director, 30 to 40 percent of people who play single-player never play multiplayer: http://techland.time.com/2010/09/08/black-ops-designer-certain-people-will-never-love-multiplayer/5/
    Even at the low end estimate of only 30 percent of total sales, this means that far more people have played the most recent Call of Duty campaign than have played Mass Effect 2.

And then there's this: http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/61-35129/what-is-the-main-reason-that-you-play-call-of-duty-games/35-500903

@baconbits33 said:
    And also another thing to note, none of the games you mentioned are the same type of game as COD, the closest being Gears of War 3, and even then that game is highly different from the COD series. Now I'm not saying that the battle between "anti-CoD and pro-CoD people" isn't annoying, I'm just saying that comparing those games which 4 out of 5 of which are solely played for their storyline, and the one (being Gears) has had a notoriously bad rep for it's multiplayer, is kind of a defunct argument.
    MW3, Gears 3, Uncharted 3, and the new Assassin's Creed are all games featuring both single player and multiplayer, and all games that are using improved versions of game engines that were previously used in the series. And ME3 is looking like it will now feature multiplayer as well. Why should MW3 be singled out simply because it's multiplayer is more popular than any other multiplayer?

@baconbits33 said:
    Now do I have a problem with MW3? Yes I actually do, I am in a way biased, I'm pissed that the game still is using IW 4.0 or 5.0 whatever the fuck they wanna call it, which in reality is actually the id 3.0 engine just a supped up version, (like the Israeli Super Sherman) that they've been freakin using since CoD 2. Which yes, it pisses me off that Activision is lazy and refuses to make a new engine, or even contract id to use the new 5.0 engine.
    If they make another engine, or use id tech 5.0, the game won't be 60 frames per second anymore. That would affect gameplay, which I would argue is far more important than graphics, wouldn't you agree?

was this really necessary.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoeyRavn

@DAFTPUNK: Logic and sensibility are never necessary on the Internet. It's easier to haaaaate on things we don't like.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By Draugen

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

I don't remember that at all. Sounds nice, though.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pinworm45

I don't understand what the point of this thread is. 

Tell me a game you like. I'll go find some youtube comments of people on one of your games videos being retards. 

You know what, actually, I won't. Because you fucking know I'll find them, you know they exist, you know they exist for everything, and I have no doubt you think it has no bearing at all on whatever game you like. 

So I repeat. I don't understand what the point of this thread is.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @DAFTPUNK said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@baconbits33 said:

Most people don't finish the campaign of most games, not just COD: http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-17/tech/finishing.videogames.snow_1_red-dead-redemption-entertainment-software-association-avid-gamers?_s=PM:TECH

More people have finished COD4 than the population of Finland, over 5.6 million: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43876/10-Million-People-Have-Played-Call-of-Duty-4-Online

According to the COD Black Ops design director, 30 to 40 percent of people who play single-player never play multiplayer: http://techland.time.com/2010/09/08/black-ops-designer-certain-people-will-never-love-multiplayer/5/

And then there's this: http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/61-35129/what-is-the-main-reason-that-you-play-call-of-duty-games/35-500903

was this really necessary.

No, but then again, neither is this...   : P 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417616

Modern Warfare 2
    Complete the game - 66.75%

Mass Effect 2
    Complete Final Story Mission - 65.8%

CoD4 Modern Warfare
    Complete the Game - 64.41%

Gears of War 2
    Complete all acts - 62.22%

Assassins Creed 2
    Complete Final Mission - 57.59%

CoD World at War
    Complete the game - 49.14%

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Finish Last Mission - 23.88%

Battlefield: Bad Company
    Complete Last Mission - 7.56%

Red Dead Redemption
    Complete the final Story Mission - 5.2% 
     Ha!
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @DrCornwalliz said:

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

Agreed

To be fair, there wasnt anything as big and stupid (fun though) as cod back in the day
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jimbo
    @SpaceInsomniac You should put the average time to completion next to those.

Which will also answer your 'Why is CoD singled out?' question, in case you were still wondering about that.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Jimbo said:

@SpaceInsomniac You should put the average time to completion next to those. Which will also answer your 'Why is CoD singled out?' question, in case you were still wondering about that.

I was wondering why COD should be singled out for not using a new engine for its sequels, not why fewer people would finish the 20+ hour campaign of ME2 over the 6 hour campaign of MW2.  With that said, I'll be happy to compare MW2 to some other shorter games and post that list.  The results won't support your argument, though.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jimbo

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Jimbo said:

@SpaceInsomniac You should put the average time to completion next to those. Which will also answer your 'Why is CoD singled out?' question, in case you were still wondering about that.

I was wondering why COD should be singled out for not using a new engine for its sequels, not why fewer people would finish the 20+ hour campaign of ME2 over the 6 hour campaign of MW2. With that said, I'll be happy to compare MW2 to some other shorter games and post that list. The results won't support your argument, though.

It seemed to me that you were wondering why CoD was sometimes singled out as a glorified expansion pack while those other games you listed seem to escape the same criticism. To which the answer is: because those other games include substantially more new SP content than the new CoD games do. Your "_______ has a new campaign, new weapons, new abilities..." logic just doesn't stand up to scrutiny if one of those new campaigns is 5 hours long and one is 20. It's that 5 hour campaign which -traditionally- would have put it in expansion pack territory - that's the point. Whether you think that's a good enough reason or not is up to you, but that's why CoD gets shit for it and Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed etc. do not.

If you're (now) wondering why CoD is singled out exclusively for not using a new engine in its sequels, then I don't know what to tell you, because I have rarely (if ever) seen anybody make their case based solely on that.

My argument was that your initial list of games did not support the case you were trying to make, so on the contrary, having to come back with a new list of shorter games will support my argument just fine. Make your argument with games which are actually comparable and I suspect the response will be "Yeah, those are glorified expansion packs too".

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@TomA said:

Want examples of bad writing and douche-baggery? Read the comments on this video. Remind me how this franchise keeps breaking records?

Games have hit critical mass. The audience is bigger, so more morons with shitty taste in games. No this game is not Q3A.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Pinworm45 said:

I don't understand what the point of this thread is.

It's quite simple, actually. Pure, good ol' fashioned flamebait. TC posts some shit about a popular game, never replies again, sits back and enjoys the chaos he created. As the old saying goes, "don't feed the troll" and we'll all be much happier.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By laserbolts
    @Tru3_Blu3
    This. Fucking This.
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shinigami420
    @CallofSpartansofWar1337 said:
    lol bcuz pple play da game for all da awesum pew! pew!pew! n not cuz tey wanna hear sum gud writing maybe? there r other game for dat!
    I could not have said it any better
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game is bad because of some bad comments on the internet after a video?  
    Okay.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Solemn

Well okay. It's another CoD hate thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.