Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Full campaign discussion (massive spoilers)

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maskedarcstrike

I just finished the campaign on Hardened difficulty and I actually kind of enjoyed it, but there's still too many repetitive and just plain dumb story twists. I know it's a video game and you have to suspend some disbelief but still. Now I loved the airplane mission on the Russian President's jet as an FAS agent. It really reminded of the mission on Perfect Dark where you had to protect the president after it got boarded by the alien skedar ship. The problem is, while Perfect Dark at least showed through a cutscene that an alien ship boarded Air Force One, in MW3 it's never explained how over thirty heavily armed men just magically appear on the Russian President's plane. Even for a game that is supposed to take itself somewhat seriously, how is it even a intelligent decision to try and kidnap someone for nuclear launch keys during a heavily detailed government security flight? I know it's CoD and it's dumb sometimes but still.

I thought the Russian vs US forces missions were done fairly well and were pretty interesting, even though it makes no sense for the whole Russian fleet decides to cluster fuck themselves within 100 yards off the coast of Manhattan.

The deaths involving Frost and Soap were actually pretty well done, although I thought Frost went out with more of a bang than Soap. By far my favorite mission though was the beginning of the final mission when you are in the juggernaut suits. Which why was Makarov even there? So the whole destroying the world thing didn't work out so well so he decided to go the UAE at some resort to party?

My other small gripe is when the game decides to use QTE's, you can go for hours without seeing one then all of a sudden out of nowhere the game asks you to do them. Especially at the end of the game..........

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Jost1

Really enjoyed this campaign, probably more than MW2 overall. Its highs aren't as "high" as MW2s but it maintains a good level of excitement.

I think my favourite mission is playing as Special Air Service in England. That was fucking sweet as hell.

I also enjoyed the conclusion and was happy that I GOT a conclusion!

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@Jost1: I enjoyed it as well, but are you talking about the mission where you have to stop the shipment for the chemical attack? I honestly don't know if you were SaS or MI5. I did like that mission though gameplay wise.

The conclusion was pretty good, playing as Price and wrapping things up killing Makarov. I also liked how he lit up the cigar at the end. But did you get kicked out of the chopper after jumping towards it? I just didn't expect that quick time event.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By AnimalFather

Did not like yuri, did not like soap dying. did not like new york land missions. the rest was badass AWESOME!!!!

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Jost1

@maskedarcstrike said:

@Jost1: I enjoyed it as well, but are you talking about the mission where you have to stop the shipment for the chemical attack? I honestly don't know if you were SaS or MI5. I did like that mission though gameplay wise.

The conclusion was pretty good, playing as Price and wrapping things up killing Makarov. I also liked how he lit up the cigar at the end. But did you get kicked out of the chopper after jumping towards it? I just didn't expect that quick time event.

You were playing as the Special Air Service (SAS) in the London mission

And yes, that quicktime event at the end caught me by surprise! Quicktime events suck man.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Davvyk

My favorite bit was the camcorder part because im a gamer and i love indiscriminate killing of innocent civilians.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By recroulette

Wait, Frost died?

Didn't enjoy this one as much as MW2. But was a great way to wrap up the series. Also, it was good to hear from Macmillan again.

As far as characters being shoehorned into every main event, at first I thought they did a decent job with Yuri, then it hit me. If there was a survivor from the airport massacre who was working with Makarov. Couldn't the whole war have been avoided?

One more thing, the meeting with Makarov was just asking to go wrong. You have this huge firefight and let everyone know that there is an attacking force, then you decide to wait 6 hours and just assume Makarov is just going to ignore it and hold the meeting like usual? Come on.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@RecSpec: Frost got left at diamond mine when it collapsed after you took off in the chopper with the Russian President remember. I guess you could say there might be a slight chance he survived but it's doubtful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.