Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

MW3 and BF3 Side-by-Side Teaser: Interesting stuff.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Edit: If you can't see the embedded video-  link

So i came across this video on the US BF3 forums and i thought it was pretty peculiar.
    The two teasers are almost in-sync, and they have the same pacing and shifting points.

1. notice the similar introductions with subtle wiggly lines
    2. then how the '3' on the left shows up exactly when the soldier speaks on the right
    3. then 'G3rmany' gets blown in green on the left when the helicopter noise rises on the right
    4. and then you have destruction on both sides followed by an air vehicle punching your face

Now ofcourse, there are two ways to discuss this: 

Either turn it into a CoD vs. BF war, where we repeat years-old claims about this ripping that off and vice versa. Or we try to figure out just why those trailers are almost identical and what it could mean.

My theory is that the MW3 gang realize that their rehashed product is getting criticized more and more, and that they would lose the "I'm tired of this COD bullshit (after 4 years of it), it's time for something fresh- Battlefield 3" crowd unless they copy some game designs from Battlefield games, such as drivable vehicles, destruction and bigger scale maps (all rumored on several websites including this one). And hell, copying their trailers aswell.
    (We've all seen those "I'm switching to BF3" comments floating around lately) 

Yes, i realize that Call of Duty sells a billion copies every year. being threatened by someone doesn't mean they fear losing to that someone, it means they might lose some customers to competition and they'd rather not.
    And i think they're gonna succeed, and i think the COD crowd will not only remain as it is, but will even flourish. and i couldn't be happier. This'll teach EA a lesson and make them STOP attempting to streamline that wonderful franchise just to make more money.

What do you think of this?

Edit: MW2 teasers looked like that actually.. so this thread is pointless!  better luck on the next one.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts
    I can't really see any significant similarities between these. Other then them both being overhyped generic modern warfare first person shooters. But that's just my opinion.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By vaiz

Now, I'm not a professional, but I'm a wizard, and that looks totally inconsequential.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By NinjaHunter

They both pretty much follow the same structure as the MW2 teaser. They're both mysterious in the beginning with kind of undistinguishable sounds or images followed by a short and intense action sequence then logo. If anything I see this as Dice/EA being reactionary not IW/Raven/Sledge Hammer/Activision or whatever.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

I think its more like BF3 copying some of the stuff from MW, because I remember MW2 having a similar teaser in the beginning with the green lines.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @NinjaHunter said:
    They both pretty much follow the same structure as the MW2 teaser. They're both mysterious in the beginning with kind of undistinguishable sounds or images followed by a short and intense action sequence then logo. If anything I see this as Dice/EA being reactionary not IW/Raven/Sledge Hammer/Activision or whatever.
    @Meteora said:
    I think its more like BF3 copying some of the stuff from MW, because I remember MW2 having a similar teaser in the beginning with the green lines.
    hmm.. Yes that makes sense. i already forgot what MW2 trailers looked like

i guess it just means that DICE/EA are copying IW/Activision in order to streamline their game and make it more 'cool' 
    Yep, same old 'rip off' discussion. nothing to see here :/
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah that was lame this is just like all the mw teasers... or at least just like mw2's teaser. so if anyone is copying its bf3

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Belonpopo

It's gonna suck.

TURbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TURbo

What I'm picturing in my mind for the realism and technical achievement of Battlefield 3 is "At DICE we brought our team to Iraq with the soldiers to get the most realistic war shooter yet!"

I'm more interested in MW3 because it won't take place in Iraq/ Middle East the majority of the time. Anyway both will be rated very high and sell tens of millions of copies with high metacritic averages.

Anyway I just want to play the single player of MW3 through at least once.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Edit: MW2 teasers looked like that actually.. so this thread is pointless!  better luck on the next one.
    That was the first thing I thought upon entering this thread.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Pie

When's somebody gonna make a modern military teaser trailer generator?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By iam3green

they're both mysterious games for the trailers. i do know is that battle field 3 is going to be awesome. i hope that i can get a computer to run it when it comes out. i remember when i first got a computer to run 2. and then when i upgraded the video card. there was a big difference between the two when that happened.

anyway they are both mysterious because they don't have a lot of information beside army guys and explosions. they are both modern warfare games. i hope they are going to be different between the too. they are made by different people.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think the similarities here speak more to the now-standard formulaic structure of trailers (specifically, video game trailers) than any connection between these two productions in particular.  

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Red12b
    @Ahmad_Metallic
    well when you've only got 35 seconds to do a trailer in, I think that the majority of trailers would have the same shifting points.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Enigma777
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Doesn't that just mean that BF3 is ripping off MW2? Hmmmm. You bring up an interesting point. I hope this means that BF3 will have killstreaks! 

:]
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Afroman269

Modern Warfare 2 had the same........oh, looks like you realized that too.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DystopiaX

I don't see any similarities actually, other than the fact that they both feature modern militaries blowing shit up, but what with the subject matter that's kind of expected.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

That trailer structure is pretty much what the MW2 ones were so, if anything, MW3 is just sticking with the theme. Sir_Ragnarok, like always, raises the valid point though of how samey they are being a synecdoche of the state of modern FPS as a whole than anything else.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Yanngc33

BF 3 is the bad guy in MW 3

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Solemn

These teasers were no different than the ones back in '09.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

One is green and the other is blue.  They are completely different...except for dogs and maybe a few guys around the Giant Bomb offices. 

Yeah, there are some similarities but simple and familiar concepts help sell the game to the masses.  These commercials aren't meant for us, but for the guy watching the NBA playoffs or whatever.  They've seen these commercials before and immediately say to themselves, "Oh that's a Modern Warfare game.  I need to play that and drink beer."  Perhaps one of the reasons both commercials have similar elements is to be purposely confusing.  So that when consumers enter the local Wal-Mart to buy the game, they are just as likely to pick up one over the other accidentally.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.