Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

MW3 vs. BF3 and my Decsion

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Edited By ReaperOfLiving

So in all honesty I am not too happy with Dice at this moment.  Their last two games were bleh IMO.  Many points i can bring up from over use of recon, sitting 1 mile away and blasting away at people who are actually doing the objective.  To waiting for a teammate to die so I could get in a way overpowered vehicle that could get me a 10+ kill streak.  However very many people like the Battlefield franchise which i have played only a fraction of BF2.  Also in an article I read Dice said that BC2 was just a project that they didn't expect the financial outcome of it.  Leading to them hurrying dlc. 

Looking at MW3, it was originally going to be developed by IW but recently their big wigs were fired, leaving Activision with the only solution of hiring two separate devs to finish what original IW started.  This could end bad or very good.  Both the devs made decent games in their past, but under Activision what they can do will be very limited leaving anywhere from a cut and paste squeal to some decent changes but nothing to drastic that would god forbid freshen the franchise up.  They are also using the Mw2 engine which is good remembering MW2 graphics were much better then in Treyarch's recent release Black ops. 

So my solution to this problem is either get both, get neither or wait for player and critic reviews on both.  With both Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 (my 2 all time favorite franchises) coming out only weeks before both games I have to say that I will preorder Resistance 3, uncharted 3 and wait for critic and player reviews on both MW3 and BF3...

What are you guys honestly planning to do?...
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

So in all honesty I am not too happy with Dice at this moment.  Their last two games were bleh IMO.  Many points i can bring up from over use of recon, sitting 1 mile away and blasting away at people who are actually doing the objective.  To waiting for a teammate to die so I could get in a way overpowered vehicle that could get me a 10+ kill streak.  However very many people like the Battlefield franchise which i have played only a fraction of BF2.  Also in an article I read Dice said that BC2 was just a project that they didn't expect the financial outcome of it.  Leading to them hurrying dlc. 

Looking at MW3, it was originally going to be developed by IW but recently their big wigs were fired, leaving Activision with the only solution of hiring two separate devs to finish what original IW started.  This could end bad or very good.  Both the devs made decent games in their past, but under Activision what they can do will be very limited leaving anywhere from a cut and paste squeal to some decent changes but nothing to drastic that would god forbid freshen the franchise up.  They are also using the Mw2 engine which is good remembering MW2 graphics were much better then in Treyarch's recent release Black ops. 

So my solution to this problem is either get both, get neither or wait for player and critic reviews on both.  With both Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 (my 2 all time favorite franchises) coming out only weeks before both games I have to say that I will preorder Resistance 3, uncharted 3 and wait for critic and player reviews on both MW3 and BF3...

What are you guys honestly planning to do?...
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Adamsons

I'll probably just buy both and play the MP of the one I decide I like more.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

The fact that you're comparing the two nothing-alike shooters and trying to choose one of them means you're doing it wrong. 

In Battlefield 3 you're gonna be able to fly bomber jets for several in-game kilometers, you're gonna be able to operate tanks, and when you hit tab, you're gonna see a list of names of sixty four players. 
    You're gonna be able to use built-in commands to communicate, ask for ammo, thank people, confirm/deny their requests/orders, and so so much more 

Why are we comparing all that to the shooter where you run around a neighborhood getting kills while trying to survive, possibly while carrying a flag on your back or whatever it is those silly modes are about ?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pweidman

Blaming DICE for player choices in their games is funny tc.  BBC2 is a fantastic mp game.  The gameplay is pretty widely varied because of the options avalable to every player in each match, and it's the most organic mp I've ever experienced(besides BF2).  Anyway, if it's not your style then get MW3, which is so much more immediate and simpler.  Still fun, just less varied situationally by a mile than a BF game.   

For me it's very easy.  While I still wanna play the MW3 campaign, and the spec-ops modes, for mp, BF3 is the obvious choice.  And hell, maybe DICE even built a good sp campaign(first co-op enabled)as well this time as I've liked all the sp footage they've been showing off.
    ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

Yes i realize it is not DICE's choice to have recon so overused however it still affects the enjoyment of the game.  Just like it was not IWs idea for noob tube to be exploited like it was it still was and impacted overall enjoyment on that games multiplayer.  

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By subject2change

BF3.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By droop

@Adamsons said:

I'll probably just buy both and play the MP of the one I decide I like more.

This.

I'm hoping for BF3 though.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Twitchey

I'm saving my money for Skyrim and AC. I might pick up Battlefield 3 during Christmas. MW3 though, my uncle has it so I will borrow it from him from time to time.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They are two completely different games, and I personally love BF so that's the one I'll be getting. COD hasnt really impressed me so far.

fish_pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By fish_pie

I would like to get BF3 but I feel that my several year old PC doesn't quite do justice to BF3 and I dont want to buy it on PS3 as it is a PC focussed game, so I kind feel MW3 is my only choice. 

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JoeyRavn

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. MW's multiplayer is like Counter-Strike: teams spawn at A/B, navigate the map to C, shoot the fuck out of each other. Battlefield is heavily based on fulfilling certain objectives to win, not so much about killing the other team to death. I can perfectly see someone playing both games without feeling the overlap at all.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dedodido

Why are people even considering buying MW3? Just play MW2 or MW1, it'll be practically the same game.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mackgyver

BF3 for sure. Got tired of the MW style gameplay. Although it's fun in its own right, BF gave me the breath of fresh air I was looking for and now I'm hooked.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Seppli

I'll play everything I've time and money for. Certainly BF3 and certainly not MW3. MW3's an arena shooter with a strong emphasis on chaos to even the odds and dillute tactical skills, which I fucking hate. I've only played CoD1 and Black Ops thus far, both of which didn't click. I'm interested to play the whole MW trilogy for the campaign. Hopefully they'll bundle that shit up at some point. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Uncharted 3 is likely a day 1 purchase for its outstanding singleplayer. No interest whatsoever in competitive online multiplayer 3rd person shooting though, it's just not as awesome - feeling too disconnected. Depenending on price, I'll get it day 1. If it's like 100 bucks (day 1 prices range between 70-100 bucks for console releases in Switzerland), it will need an extremely strong co-op to warrant a day 1 purchase though. Else I'll wait 'til it drops to 50$.

Dude - for every bad and boring room full of noobs out there, there's at least a couple more full of win. Filling up your friendslist with active rank 50s does ensure you usually won't get brokenly stupid teams. PC ain't got that problem anyways. Just find good server communities. BF3 on PC won't suffer from brokenly stupid teams as much anyways. There's no way all of 64 players can be game-breakingly dumb...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

You're gonna be able to use built-in commands to communicate, ask for ammo, thank people, confirm/deny their requests/orders, and so so much more

Did they finally say that? Wondering why the two bozos we watched didn't say it themselves.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli
    @Fish_Pie said:

I would like to get BF3 but I feel that my several year old PC doesn't quite do justice to BF3 and I dont want to buy it on PS3 as it is a PC focussed game, so I kind feel MW3 is my only choice. 

If you enjoy Rush, you'll get a great experience on consoles too (figuring Rush is designed and likely limited/defaulted to 32 players on PC too). Conquest will definitely be inferior on consoles.
    Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mike76x

I've got Battlefield 3 preordered, and I'm expecting my son to buy MW3.
    Had Infinity Ward not been ruined, I would've already preordered MW3, because even with the bad stories, I enjoy playing their story and spec ops scenarios.
    I only play multiplayer for a few months until I get pissed at all the assholes that memorize the maps, blindfiring through walls and random grenading  in all the rights spots.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli
    @JoeyRavn said:

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. MW's multiplayer is like Counter-Strike: teams spawn at A/B, navigate the map to C, shoot the fuck out of each other. Battlefield is heavily based on fulfilling certain objectives to win, not so much about killing the other team to death. I can perfectly see someone playing both games without feeling the overlap at all.

TDM being CoD's most popular mode and TDM being included in BF3 (a first for Battlefield), there will be a ton of overlap this time around. There's just gonna be less 'maze-y' more organic maps in BF3, looking better and being more interactive. It will come down to core gameplay. Gunplay, Movement and Balancing.

Guess pacing will play a big role too. Generation Insta-Spawn will have to be pandered to with BF3's TDM.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @natetodamax said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Did they finally say that? Wondering why the two bozos we watched didn't say it themselves.

In a recent interview with Patrick Bach he said they're considering it but now sure how to approach it
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By sopranosfan

I have COD4, WAW, and Black Ops with all the maps and I also have MW2 without the maps(didn't like the way people were playing when it was new so didn't buy map packs but went back recently and it was OK).  Whereas I only have Bad Company 2 and the Vietnam pack.  I think I am going to preorder Battlefield 3 and wait to see if Modern Warfare is anything new and if it isn't I will rent to play the campaign and move on because if I feel the need to play the COD style as you can see I have plenty of options above.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well its not like you have to buy one of those games if youre not satisfied with them. 

Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jerome85

MW3 for 360 & BF3 for PC. = happiness

LOL @ anyone getting BF3 for the xbox

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By OneManX

@Seppli said:

@JoeyRavn said:

TDM being CoD's most popular mode and TDM being included in BF3 (a first for Battlefield), there will be a ton of overlap this time around. There's just gonna be less 'maze-y' more organic maps in BF3, looking better and being more interactive. It will come down to core gameplay. Gunplay, Movement and Balancing. Guess pacing will play a big role too. Generation Insta-Spawn will have to be pandered to with BF3's TDM.

You do know that quick respawns was in games like Quake, Doom, Unreal right?

Quick Edit: it kills me when people look at MW2 and go, I'm tired of modern military shooters and yet champion BF3 for doing something new. It's another modern military shooter. As for what I will play, I will probably get both, with MW3 being first because I like fast chaotic shooters. Then pick up MW3 for something different.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Witzig
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Twisted_Scot

COD & BF are two very different types of FPS. The main problems for me with both is the communities. Have BF3 pre-ordered and will probably pick up MW3 at some point as well as in general I enjoy these types of game (although I personalty hate the Resistance franchise but love Uncharted). I cannot wait until both these games come out only so these BF vs COD forum topic stop. Christ do we need another? 

Hate the player not the game.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Witzig said:

All I have to say is there is a third player here guys and it's name http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/. It's a game made by PC gamers for PC gamers.
    Not really. RO2 does look pretty goddamned incredible, but it's a whole other beast entirely. I doubt most of MW3's (and to a lesser extent, BF3's) audience even know about the Red Orchestra series.
    Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Witzig

@Three0neFive said:

@Witzig said:

All I have to say is there is a third player here guys and it's name http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/. It's a game made by PC gamers for PC gamers.

Not really. RO2 does look pretty goddamned incredible, but it's a whole other beast entirely. I doubt most of MW3's (and to a lesser extent, BF3's) audience even know about the Red Orchestra series.

True I don't won't to call the the BF3 or CoD community a bunch of scrubs but the first RO learning curve was more of a cliff then a cruve and the second one might be the same case. Oh well I tried
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tunaburn

gonna be playing gears of war 3 instead :D

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Arker101

LOL @ MW3 and BF3 on Consoles. 

No Caption Provided

No, but seriously, I'll get both games for Xbox, which most of my friends will as well, I'll play through both campaigns (I predict I'll like MW3's better) and I'll play the MP of whichever one my friends want to play most. It doesn't matter how fun your game is if I'm the only one playing it.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DonPixel
    @Arker101
    LOL @ MW3 and BF3 on Consoles. 
    No Caption Provided

No, but seriously, I'll get both games for Xbox, which most of my friends will as well, I'll play through both campaigns (I predict I'll like MW3's better) and I'll play the MP of whichever one my friends want to play most. It doesn't matter how fun your game is if I'm the only one playing it.
    sheep
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Arker101
    @DonPixel: How often do you play random matchmaking games?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.