Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

The End of Military FPSs for me.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Solemn
    No Caption Provided

After November 10th of this year I am not getting any more military themed first person shooters. Yup, after eleven years of playing military shooters (Starting with Medal of Honor for the Playstation 1) I am going to give up playing them. 

Maybe it's because every major release has had the same concept since 2005, maybe it's because of all the goddamn Call of Duty kids or  the fucking Battlefield 'fans' that seem so hip or maybe it's just burned out on me but whatever the case, I am done with the military themed first person shooters.

-Ende.
    Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Solemn
    No Caption Provided

After November 10th of this year I am not getting any more military themed first person shooters. Yup, after eleven years of playing military shooters (Starting with Medal of Honor for the Playstation 1) I am going to give up playing them. 

Maybe it's because every major release has had the same concept since 2005, maybe it's because of all the goddamn Call of Duty kids or  the fucking Battlefield 'fans' that seem so hip or maybe it's just burned out on me but whatever the case, I am done with the military themed first person shooters.

-Ende.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mcfart

Bookmarked for when you buy MW3 then bitch about it on the forum.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By DystopiaX

3 sentences isn't much if a rant. I'm disappointed

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Solemn
    @DystopiaX said:

3 sentences isn't much if a rant. I'm disappointed

Haha, I know. I just wanted to test out the banner. 

@Mcfart said:
    Bookmarked for when you buy MW3 then bitch about it on the forum.
    Yes I'm going to get it. But bitch about it when I know it's going to be the same thing from two years ago?

Hell no.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I don't group Battlefield with the rest of the military shooters, because it gives me a grand multiplayer experience with diversity, whereas other games give me good scripted action. 

So i'm in the boat with you, i'll be passing on military shooters soon, but not Battlefield because the BF mp is a lifestyle and a hobby on it's own

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Reality check: Battlefield is a military shooter.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Yanngc33

Nice banner
    I don't know if I'm going to even make it to MW 3, i can't stand shooters now

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Reality check: Battlefield is a military shooter.
    I used to think you're kinda smart but your comments lately have been sounding really... tool-ish  
    Of course it's a military shooter, i didn't say it wasn't >_> I said it offers me a uniquely massive multiplayer component that i don't find elsewhere, therefore it's the one military shooter i won't stop buying  

I'm sorry i don't seem to have an interest in replying to your silly posts anymore, dude.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

It's too bad, the Modern Warfare campaigns are six hours of stupid fun, and I love playing them, even if I've only been renting them lately (there's still a Family Video in business in our town, yay!). I know EA and Activision have used the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy when it comes to these shooters, but as long as they keep providing me with a few hours of quality fun, I'll keep playing them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Ahmad_Metallic: So you're not done with military shooters until BF comes out? And after then, only BF will matter even if another comes out with the same massive multiplayer component ala MAG you so desire? A military shooter is solely a theme, not a designation for game mechanics. Saying that you give up playing any games with that theme is a rather dumb statement. Most likely, you mean any military shooter that also largely derives from the CoD formula. 

And you thought I was smart...? And now I sound like a tool? Not sure how you came up with any of those two sentiments, but I always think substance is conveyed from what a user types and not from the user themselves.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

But what about ARMA 3?

that game looks pretty badass.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

ya a majority of military shooters are boring but i think battlefield will be better then mw3 but i wont be getting either

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimbo

His name was Solemngène.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Some people in this thread have a questionable understanding of finality.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By toowalrus

@Jimbo said:

His name was Solemngène.

I get it!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo

@TooWalrus said:

@Jimbo said:

His name was Solemngène.

I get it!

*high fives*

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Mililililitary shoooters.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Solemn
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    But what about ARMA 3?  that game looks pretty badass.
    I consider the ARMA series to be a combat simulation game, not an FPS. :P Though ARMA 3 looks too much for my hardware so I might not get it. 

@JoyfullOFrockets said:
    Mililililitary shoooters.

I know, right?  
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

I need to ask what constitutes a military shooter, because 50 Cent Blood in the Sand had many of the basic trappings of a military shooter even though the story was about some skull and jumpin' big ass ramps.  I had as much fun with it as I did Battlefield: Bad Company 2.  I'm still mildly interested in MW3 because I like the Michael Bay-ness of the spectacle, however $60 for 6 hours of entertainment doesn't appeal to me anymore, so I tend to wait until the prices are cut in half.  Since I don't do online competitive play anymore, I don't worry about empty servers or a hardcore player base that can kill me three times before I hit the ground (most people can do that 3 days after release).   

I, too sort of wish there was something to enrich the genre again, but I'm not sure what that could be.  I mean, just like WW2 games got stale, so it happened to the modern era games.  Both seemed to be confined by their time period.  M-16s are M-16s and an AK-47 still shoots the same bullets across all games.  I know a number of people who want that recognizable (psudo) realism and shy away from sci-fi shooters because they can't go to a rifle range and practice with a railgun.  The enemies also have a sameness to them since they reflect real world politics.  Russians, North Koreans, terrorists, etc... I sort of wish that game makers would be a little more creative and imagine some new histories.  How about a game where the colonies lost the Revolutionary War to the British and 200 years later and launching a second revolt?  Or maybe a game where the Roman Empire never fell and 1500 years later coexists with an expanded Mongolian Empire?  There just needs to be something to change the setting a bit to breathe some life back into it. 

captaincool246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By captaincool246

i highly respect your decision to do this i myself have been trying to quite because im tired of all the norms i wanna go bcak to the pre COD days with games like kirby that we're bucket loads of fun btw anyone else notice when you play so much COD that eveything else feels weird and you suddenly suck at everything else?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.