Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Thoughts on the new MW3 maps?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

[EDIT] Official MW3 Elite DLC Release Schedule:

February: Map

March: Map, two missions

April: Two maps

May: Map, mission

June: Map, mission, mode

July: Two maps

August: Map, mission, mode

September: Map, mission

So, including the January maps that were just released, that adds up to twelve new multiplayer maps (as many as Black Ops), six new "missions" (which might be single player, co-op, or a mix of both), and two new gameplay modes. Seems like a nice amount of content.

Original post:

I'm a huge fan of Call of Duty games--especially Black Ops--but I don't think I've ever been more frustrated by a COD title before MW3. MW2 came close, but the maps, spawn system, and the LAG in MW3 can be downright atrocious. Lately, I've been playing much more Battlefield 3. Although that title has its own set of issues, it never comes anywhere close to the frustration I feel from MW3.

The perk, weapons, and streak rewards in MW3 are darn near perfect, IMO. It just drives me crazy that they're are so many other problems with the game that ends up ruining a good thing. Even fixing the lag back to COD4 performance would be a HUGE benefit to the game.

Anyhow, I'm really hoping that the new COD Elite Premium maps will be able to help matters, at least a little. As of right now, the new maps are just several hours away from being released. I look forward to trying them out, and I'll post my thoughts once I've had the chance.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Branthog

I haven't played them yet, but I saw about ten seconds on a promo video a couple weeks ago and it looked awful. Like, on par with the other awful maps in MW3 (which is most of the maps). I felt that Black Ops had some of the most varied and fun maps of the series and this one just keeps shelling out crap.

Bow657

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bow657

I've downloaded the maps but how am i supposed to play them? if there are others in the room who don't have Elite,how will i be able to use them?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Branthog

@Tarsier said:

@Branthog said:

I haven't played them yet, but I saw about ten seconds on a promo video a couple weeks ago and it looked awful. Like, on par with the other awful maps in MW3 (which is most of the maps). I felt that Black Ops had some of the most varied and fun maps of the series and this one just keeps shelling out crap.

wow you have bad taste if you liked the black ops maps. those were horrible and had no variety whatsoever, they seemed to be designed completely randomly with no thought put into how they would play at all,.. almost every confrontation was close range, and every area had like 3 entrances, they were all designed for FFAs it seemed. MW2 had much better maps, with actual flow of game play.. i dont know how MW3 is but they look worlds better than the ones treyarch made.

Are you serious? They had lots of different locations, variety of color schemes, outdoors, indoors, enclosed, open. Lots of verticality. Not all were great, but there were a handful that were real blast. In MW3, the maps are mostly bland, drab, flat, sort of enclosed-feeling, and every room/building/area has like fifteen entrances and every object in the world seems devised to funnel you out of the area. Black Ops was imperfect, but felt like the next step in progression after MW2. MW3 feels like a step back. I was counting on the map packs to bring the variety that the initial sixteen maps didn't have, but from what I have seen so far . . it's more of the same.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By bed

@Bow657: if it's like the other games, the dlc maps should have their own playlist

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Tarsier said:

@Branthog said:

they seemed to be designed completely randomly with no thought put into how they would play at all,.. almost every confrontation was close range, and every area had like 3 entrances

It's like you're describing the MW3 maps. You haven't played the game, so trust us that MW3 maps are FAR worse than Black Ops maps, ESPECIALLY with the whole "too many entrances" issue. They're horrible.

ABK_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ABK_92

@Tarsier said:

@Branthog said:

@Tarsier said:

@Branthog said:

wow you have bad taste if you liked the black ops maps. those were horrible and had no variety whatsoever, they seemed to be designed completely randomly with no thought put into how they would play at all,.. almost every confrontation was close range, and every area had like 3 entrances, they were all designed for FFAs it seemed. MW2 had much better maps, with actual flow of game play.. i dont know how MW3 is but they look worlds better than the ones treyarch made.

Are you serious? They had lots of different locations, variety of color schemes, outdoors, indoors, enclosed, open. Lots of verticality. Not all were great, but there were a handful that were real blast. In MW3, the maps are mostly bland, drab, flat, sort of enclosed-feeling, and every room/building/area has like fifteen entrances and every object in the world seems devised to funnel you out of the area. Black Ops was imperfect, but felt like the next step in progression after MW2. MW3 feels like a step back. I was counting on the map packs to bring the variety that the initial sixteen maps didn't have, but from what I have seen so far . . it's more of the same.

i think black ops was multiple steps back from mw2. im talking more about the game play and the feel of the maps, such as the types of combat that happens and strategies that are allowed. it did have many different types of areas, but the maps were all close quarters corridor shooters basically.. even world at war had better more varied maps.

but i honesntly dont care about cod any more ,battle field 3 is just so much greater

Treyarch makes way better maps BY FAR. Oh and MW3 has the worst maps in any CoD game.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche

Are they including any new survival mode maps? Because that could be interesting.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Khadyn

Piazza is a lot of fun both TDM and Domination...as for Liberation..oh dear god! First map I have actually started falling asleep cause the map is damn big and just screams snipers left and right and its honestly the worse map I could say I will leave to join a different game. Just my opinion that is all...

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bwheeeler

Ten posts until someone shared their thoughts on the maps. Rad. I played Liberation, and I hated it because I hate sniper maps. Haven't gotten into Piazza yet, but it looks cool.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By laserbolts

Well at least mw3 doesnt have near as many rage quitting as gears 3. Jesus its rediculous in that game and pretty sickening. So easy to tell its a 360 game with all the kids that cant handle being killed from time to time. At least we get bots to replace them which is more than I can say for halo. The fact that rage quitting results in you being short handed in halo is the reason I will never play online halo again. It blows my mind that they can put out these halo games with a bunch of features and not even allow people to join in progress or at least have some fucking bots. Modern warfare 2 had the best maps of the whole series in my opinion and mw3 has the worse if we arent including call of duty 3 which you know was an utter piece of shit.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaptainCody

My friend tells me they aren't bad. I don't see the hate on Liberation when their is literally only one other viable sniping map. Sounds like a lot of people with negative K/Ds getting frustrated rather than giving perspective on the maps themselves. I will say, though, that most of MW3's maps are terrible. What the hell is Bootleg? A square with 4 entrances to a set of stairs in the middle. Are you fucking kidding me.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By vaportra1l

I don't mind Liberation but my USAS loves Piazza. Liberation is alright when teams move around, but can be annoying when you have a ton of snipers but it's not like MW3 has a ton of big maps so it's welcome imo. I think they're both pretty well done, I just wish they dropped all 5 maps or whatever at once in a big pack that everyone can get their hands on.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love 'em. They are the only thing I'll play because the normal maps are so fucking small. Liberation is definitely my favorite though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.