Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

What have you noticed so far for the multiplayer?

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ben99

What's up with the buildings in every damn map? They could have put at least two large maps with open areas like Wasteland or Array. With these hallways everywhere, you're best weapon is an SMG as it would beat any other class in tight situations. Killstreaks are meh and it's not fun to get an EMP in almost every damn game thanks to the noobish support package.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

No offense, but isn't tight corridors what CoD is all about?
    Fast paced nonstop action etc?

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

I like both the things you seemingly hate. I love the smaller, tighter maps as I tend to run and gun a lot in CoD rather than trying to sit still, so they're more suitable to how I play. And I really love the way the strike packages work - I regularly get 15+ kills in every game I play... I'm just kinda bad at stringing them together in more than 3 or 4 at a time. It's nice that with the Support package I still feel I can get access to cooler stuff like Stealth Bombers and what not, but I've always played CoD games as more of a support player with UAVs, SAM turrets and stuff. I don't think that it's 'noobish' to still reward people with a different playstyle -To be honest, I think the strike package system is my favourite addition to the multiplayer. 

I bloody hate the UMP45 though. It seems that half of my deaths have been at the hands of it, no matter the range. To me it seems insanely good.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kmdrkul

75 percent of the people playing it have some sort of silenced UMP or are trying to quick scope.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#5  Edited By bobafettjm

I defended this game until I was blue in the face up until release, only to be incredibly disappointed by the multiplayer. The maps are all too small and the spawning is TERRIBLE. I think I will have more fun if they fix the spawns with a patch.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Gav47

Kill confirmed is better than TDM. Maps are way smaller and tighter than in MW2, I have yet to play on a map like Watseland or Array. Weapons seem more damaging. UMP and ACR/Scar seem to be the preferred weapons.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By emergency

You die so fast / It takes so little to kill someone. I have fond memories of call of duty 4 and haven't played any multiplayer of the others since then. Got a decent deal on mw3 and so I picked it up. It takes literally very little skill to kill someone else. Seems to defeat the purpose.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mike76x

1. The lag is inexcusable, sometimes I fall over dead for seemingly no reason then the killcam shows me the clip I fired never happened because I'm 1-2 seconds behind everyone.

My NAT type is open, and my speed is excellent for everything EXCEPT MW3. Everyone I play with I hear complain about getting hit markers with no kills, even in hardcore.

2.Every map is just recycled crap from MW1 and MW2 which is crappy considering it's the biggest selling game of the year, and they had literally 4-5 entire game studios working on it.

The best they could give us was a lazy mod job.

3.Snipers should not have aim assist in any form, the quick-scoping is bullshit.

4. The spawns are mind numbingly stupid. People you kill immediately spawn behind you and kill you back. You spawn into the middle of airstrikes and streams of bullets.

5. The kill streaks are just as bad as they were in MW2

Aside from that I like it.

jaketaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jaketaylor
    @Mike76x said:

3.Snipers should not have aim assist in any form, the quick-scoping is bullshit.

4. The spawns are mind numbingly stupid. People you kill immediately spawn behind you and kill you back. You spawn into the middle of airstrikes and streams of bullets.

This. The spawns are really bad.
    NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NathanStack

The spawns are fucking terrible, as others have said. This will m

JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JuggertrainUK

The maps seem a little smaller than previous COD's but that just about it. There are a couple weapons i miss from MW2 also, I like it a lot in general.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Arebuckle

That the UMP is still pretty overpowered. All I do is add a silencer or rapid fire to it and I can consistently get 15-20 kills each match. And I'm terrible at the game!

I do like the support option for killstreaks, but I wish they would've add a few more to it.

The maps are... familiar. By that I mean they seem to have taking maps from previous MWs and gave it a redesign, at one point I thought they brought back Crash from 4.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

From what little I have played. (5 or 6 hours) What I have noticed is that I am murdered by a sniper every other kill..and usually in close quarters.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@familyphotoshoot said:

The spawns are fucking terrible, as others have said. This will m

Did you get spawnkilled before you could finish your sentence?

circ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By circ

This is a lot of whining and I agree with 100% of it.

This big issue for me is the falling over dead for no reason (and then I see the killcam). I have a 5ms ping to the local CO (which is directly attached to MAE East) and usually have sub-50ms pings to hosts. I have a tv that has a game mode that puts time-to-screen in the sub 12 ms range (I need to double check that). I have one of the best FPS gaming situations you can have and yet I'm often half to a full second behind everyone else. It's a bummer, but it's a video game, so fuck it.

@Mike76x said:

1. The lag is inexcusable, sometimes I fall over dead for seemingly no reason then the killcam shows me the clip I fired never happened because I'm 1-2 seconds behind everyone.

My NAT type is open, and my speed is excellent for everything EXCEPT MW3. Everyone I play with I hear complain about getting hit markers with no kills, even in hardcore.

2.Every map is just recycled crap from MW1 and MW2 which is crappy considering it's the biggest selling game of the year, and they had literally 4-5 entire game studios working on it.

The best they could give us was a lazy mod job.

5. The kill streaks are just as bad as they were in MW2

Aside from that I like it.

lolgreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By lolgreg

The maps and spawns are all kinds of bad. Considering this is practically MW2.5, I wish they had spent more time on the maps.

It's also the laggiest POS I think I've ever played (PS3 here, obviously)

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By metalmoog

I had a mad hate on for this game before it was released because it looked derivative as hell. A friend online bought it and I caved and bought it and am really glad I did. I'm loving the game. The campaign is really explosive, unrealistic and exciting and the multiplayer is as fast and frenzied as ever, with better maps, perks, guns and overall better everything. Enjoying this more than Battlefield 3 and more than any CoD game before it. Bravo Activision Bravo!

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By CatsAkimbo

What's crazy to me is how the killstreaks reset after you get the last one. I always felt punished for equipping uav/counter uav/care package in previous games because if i got a big streak going, anything after 5 kills was a waste. Now it resets after you earn the last killstreak, so if you get a 10 streak with hardline on, you could call in 5 uavs in one life if that's all you have equipped! craziness.

I'm also bummed that the "secret" 25 point killstreak made it into the game. One of the most annoying parts of MW2 was when 2 guys would get on different teams and one would farm kills to get the nuke. I can imagine this will start happening again. That said, I've only seen it happen once, it doesn't end the game, and I was wearing juggernaut armor when it went off and didn't die, so it's not the ultimate weapon that the nuke was.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CL60
    @bobafettjm said:

I defended this game until I was blue in the face up until release, only to be incredibly disappointed by the multiplayer. The maps are all too small and the spawning is TERRIBLE. I think I will have more fun if they fix the spawns with a patch.

Do you really think they'll fix the spawns? The spawns are still broken in MW2 and Black Ops. 

@CatsAkimbo: I think it's worse than the nuke. At least with the nuke the match ended. With this it just gives the team who used it the ability to rape everybody on the other team repeatedly because they will have no perks, and will be under the effect of EMP.
    valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Haven't noticed any spawn problems yet, but I do find myself in situations where I'm playing Domination and one of the teams spends most of the game with 1 or 2 people in it. Which is kind of weird, considering everyone in the world is playing this game.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

#21  Edited By bobafettjm

@CL60: Well the spawns did improve somewhat in MW2, but I am honestly not super hopeful on it getting fixed.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laserbolts

This is the first call of duty game that I just can't get into the multiplayer. The maps are shit and the guns are shit. I'll stick to gears thank you. Also it lags and trying to get into a game with friends had been a nightmare. With all the money they make you would think they would improve the matchmaking. The campaign is super boring and I think spec ops may be the only thing I will get any enjoyment out of if that even works. I didn't have high expectation or anything with this game but still can't help but feel disappointed by this garbage.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By OneManX

I like that the guns have a bit more punch, completely removing the need for a perk like Stopping Power to exist.

The spawns are questionable, but not rage worthy, no worse than the stuff i ran into BC2, were you can just get spawn trapped by Snipers.

But I liek the speed, and I liek the run and gun style, this is the closest I'm gonna get to an UT style game ntil Epic finally decides, "Hey... we should make UT4"

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By valiantgoat

The game is a cluster-fuck in every way. I wish they would stop adding stuff in and just simplify the game, but that will never happen.

Can we now officially say they've jumped the shark?

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By plaintomato

Wow...even day one buyers hate it...

They must've dropped the ball. I mean, I didn't buy it because I'm tired of soooo much COD, and I get all the people whining about lack of innovation and cookie cutter releases every damn year, but I kind of assumed that they had a tight platform to start with and it would only get tighter.

You guys make it sound like in the expected absence of innovation they've actually started to...retrovate? is that a word? Should be. Retrovate: when developers decline to innovate and instead sit around and mastervate.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

It's very refined and necessarily simplified.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deanoxd

the spawning problem has been around since the beginning, and they will never fix it blops is just as bad as MW3. For what CoD 4 started this game is such a let down in so many ways for me, but you know what activison does not care because they sold 6.5 million copies and counting and they will recycle the same game play for MW4 and sell just as many because reviewers will always give it 5/5 and a large enough segment of the 360 owners will always buy it. i was really expecting Jeff to give MW3 a 3/5 but when he gave it a 4 i thought maybe they didn't screw it up and or just recycle MW2 but after finishing campaign i had no idea what game Jeff played or what he saw that i didn't. because MW3 is a 3/5 game and thats manly because of the multi-player.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So glad I decided not to waste my time with this game. All these MP complaints are the same complaints I've had since MW2.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By Sooperspy

Spawns are terrible. Knifing is so inconsistent (I can't knife people from 2 feet away, but people can knife me from 10 feet away). Interchange is a horrible map.

lolgreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By lolgreg

The more I play this game, the more I realize how horrible this MP is. I'd rather play MW2 with its commando pro and nukes.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MideonNViscera

What I noticed is that with every CoD I hear about changes that sound good, and are good, but I still get bored 3 matches in cause I already played this fucking game haha

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Spawns are inexcusable and the maps are just too small for what they made the game about. I didn't think it would happen but this is finally the COD that makes me walk away from the series at least for a year of so.

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#33  Edited By sup909

I seem to be having some MP issues as well. Not sure if it is lag or what but I routinely find myself seemingly putting a clip into an enemy and then dying with a single bullet. Upon watching the kill cam I will see the enemy laying several rounds into me. Not sure if it is a performance issue or what.

Matchmaking seems to not be that good either. With an average of 800,000+ people literally online at once why am I getting matched with players 30,40,50 ranks above me.

Zenthere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zenthere

The spawns are a bit boned up, but the maps are considerably smaller, and its going to be tough to find a clear place to spawn in a small map. That being said, I do think they could have done better.

I wish the maps were more varied, it does seem like every single map is designed for close quarter combat (and the shotguns are so terrible you can't even use them).

Quick scopers are annoying, but they are far less annoying than a person running around with dual machine pistols killing me from 70 yards away.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.