Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 25, 2019

The 16th installment of the Call of Duty series is a reboot of the modern-military Modern Warfare sub-series, reworking characters and events into a 2019 setting.

I unlocked the Obsidian Crossbow in COD:Warzone and I wish I hadn't bothered.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1 sweep  Moderator

Faced with the endless lockdown, I decided to channel my energy into the dumbest challenge I could find; taking the worst weapon in Call Of Duty Warzone and completing the most difficult, time consuming, gruelling grind imaginable with it in order to unlock what is perhaps the most underwhelming skin in the game:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

To achieve this you need to kill 15 enemies in a single match (Multiplayer or Battle Royale) 125 times. The shortest match I was able to complete this in was 6 or 7 minutes long, and because the crossbow is pretty terrible I had to be extremely pro-active about hunting down enemies, and even then I wouldn't always hit the target of 15 kills. I spent a fair amount of time on the dumb Shipment playlist but after a few hours that becomes pretty mind numbing so I completed most of these wins on a Headquarters/Domination rotation with all maps, spread out over a couple of weeks.

And now I have the Obsidian and, honestly, it's super underwhelming. The default skin for the crossbow is already black and it's actually pretty difficult to even tell the difference. There's no cool effects, glows, noises, tracers, or any of cool extras that you can get from just paying for their stupid skins in the store. Unlike Damascus (which is unlocked by completing weapon challenges for all the base weapons) there's no easily recognizable signature pattern. So ultimately it feels like I've just wasted about 8 hours over the course of several weeks grinding out a skin which not only wasn't worth it, but actually looks worse than most of the alternatives available in the store for a few dollars.

Move beyond my questionable life choices and that's just poor game design by Activision/Infinity Ward. There should be more incentive to encourage people to invest their time in your dumb unlock system, and that typically comes in the form of bragging rights. The best superficial unlockables should be rewarded to people who invest time in the game, not the people who throw down the quickest cash; I want people to know I'm killing them with a gun that I've spent days perfecting. I want recognition of my achievements. I want my gun to glow and hum with a dark cosmic energy. I want to know that I didn't just trash my k:d ratio for absolutely nothing.

Bluergh.

So yeah, super underwhelming and not recommended to anyone. Although, on the plus side, I'm pretty fucking good with the crossbow now and hearing people's bewildered rage as they're exploded immediately by my Fury bolts is my favourite thing to do in any videogame. I'm also in the top 1% of Warzone players in the world. So that's something.

x

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

At least you didn't put 100 hours into a gacha game.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By nateandrews

Yeah I wasn't even going to max out the crossbow weapon level until one of those double XP/Shipment 24/7 weekends. That thing just isn't practical at all. Can't imagine grinding for that long with it.

reking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I got max level for the crossbow just by playing Warzone solo with it in my loadout, it is so silent and some people don't even notice it if you miss if you hide immediately after firing. I've come to top 2-3 so many times with it, but I often lose the last duel...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5 sweep  Moderator

@reking: It's true it is absolutely a beast but it's extremely situational and when the AR's and Sniper Rifles are so powerful and versatile there's very few situations where having a crossbow is advantageous. It's basically just a troll weapon (which is why I kinda love it!)

Brakara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want my gun to glow and hum with a dark cosmic energy.

Thankfully, no guns in this game do that. I hate shit like that, like in the latest BLOPS games where the skins are totally out of control.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I was watching a guide video today and thinking about if i should ever try to get damascus and i think... Just no... I need to just play the game to enjoy it not grind this stuff out. But im impressed you tried! =)

Brakara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brakara

Yeah, the grind is probably not good for your mental health. I'm just doing the ribbons for season 4 and a few of the Warzone ones are driving me crazy. Like, I'm a solo player but I'm somehow supposed to revive people from the kiosk 15 times? I tried with randoms but they all just leave when they die.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.