Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

Is anyone sick that COD:WaW is out today?

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

Edited By insanejedi

In the wake of this trailer, I feel that it's disgusting on Activision's behalf that this game is coming out on Remembrance Day/Veterans day. It just so, glorifies war and makes war seem like some "sport". I would feel much better that a game like Brothers in Arms came out on this day, specifically because it depicts a non-fictional story of one the veterans trials and tribulations through World War 2. Out of all the days for this game to come out, you picked the one that would most insult the soilders who actually fought in this war. This just seems tasteless beyond measure...

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By insanejedi

In the wake of this trailer, I feel that it's disgusting on Activision's behalf that this game is coming out on Remembrance Day/Veterans day. It just so, glorifies war and makes war seem like some "sport". I would feel much better that a game like Brothers in Arms came out on this day, specifically because it depicts a non-fictional story of one the veterans trials and tribulations through World War 2. Out of all the days for this game to come out, you picked the one that would most insult the soilders who actually fought in this war. This just seems tasteless beyond measure...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

It's a Tuesday. Banjo Kazooie and Mirror's Edge also came out today. They wanted to release it early as possible in the holiday season and not have it crushed by Gears 2 (nothing could stop that though). They did not, as far as I know, choose Veteran's Day specifically for the hell of it.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By kmdrkul
    insanejedi said:
    "In the wake of this trailer, I feel that it's disgusting on Activision's behalf that this game is coming out on Remembrance Day/Veterans day. It just so, glorifies war and makes war seem like some "sport". I would feel much better that a game like Brothers in Arms came out on this day, specifically because it depicts a non-fictional story of one the veterans trials and tribulations through World War 2. Out of all the days for this game to come out, you picked the one that would most insult the soilders who actually fought in this war. This just seems tasteless beyond measure..."
    Oh please.  Grow some balls and stop complaining about every little thing.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By lordofultima

Lucky it's not national parkour day, or you'd probably be complaining about Mirror's Edge being released.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By insanejedi
    lordofultima said:
    "Lucky it's not national parkour day, or you'd probably be complaining about Mirror's Edge being released."
    If not for the fact that actual Free runners nad Parkourists actually like Mirror's Edge.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

Hey, it could be worse.

Gears 2 could've come out today instead of last week.  =  /  I'm pretty sure THAT game glorifies war.
    insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By insanejedi
    jakob187 said:
    "Hey, it could be worse.

Gears 2 could've come out today instead of last week.  =  /  I'm pretty sure THAT game glorifies war.
    "
    Gears 2 is based on fiction? Call of Duty World at War is based off of a real life even that happened about 63 years ago?
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

No one is going to even think about that until you  brought it up.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By breadfan
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "No one is going to even think about that until you  brought it up."
    Actually I thought the same thing when I was talking to one of my friends who got it today.  I don't think there was any intention or sinister plot to release the game today, but that's how it went.  If they really wanted to boost sales and cash in on Veteran's Day then they probably would have pushed it even more.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I dunno what it's like in America, but here in the UK the TV is full of nothing but war films at the moment. I don't see how this is any different to that.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By insanejedi

I just like to say that it seems that Jeff agrees with me on this one from the last bombcast.
    edit:Jeff and Ryan

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By c1337us

I think it got released here the day afterwards I am not sure. But either way personally I don't think there is anything terrible about releasing the game on that day. Remembrance Day was no extra motivation to buy the game and the television is full of war movies and documentaries all day long. I bought my Poppy and paid tribute with a minutes silence at 11. Now were all meant to feel guilty about playing a war themed shooter? I dont think so... Besides Remembrance Day is for the end of WWI (90th anniversary this year) and WaW is set in WWII.  

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danhimself

what better way to celebrate then by killing a bunch japanese people....the veterns of ww2 probably love it

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us
    danhimself said:
    "what better way to celebrate then by killing a bunch japanese people....the veterns of ww2 probably love it"

Dont know about that. My Grandfather isnt a fan of WW themed entertainment.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself
    c1337us said:
    "danhimself said:
    "what better way to celebrate then by killing a bunch japanese people....the veterns of ww2 probably love it"

Dont know about that. My Grandfather isnt a fan of WW themed entertainment."
    apparently i can't type in sarcasm even though i try real hard
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By xruntime

I'm sick of this war glorification as well. That's what I hated about COD4. You don't just shoot high priority terrorist suspects at a whim. This is ridiculous. Fuck all the war mongers

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Absurd

Guess What? I watched Saving Private Ryan and then I proceeded to boot up Counter Strike, and shoot some Terrorists up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.