Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

Why does Treyarch hate people that buy their games?

Dblueguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dblueguy

I recently purchased Call of Duty: World at War on Xbox 360 for my little brother since he really enjoys it. Well he plays single player and everything is going fine, he's loving the game and beats it on normal pretty quickly. Next he decides to load up the multiplayer and sees that there are still people playing online, even better! So he looks at the playlists he can choose and chooses one, he waits until he finds a game and then a message pops up. The message informs him that he does not own the map that match is currently playing on so it takes him out of the lobby he joined and pulls up the marketplace screen with the downloadable maps to purchase. Well seeing as he has no money he closes it and attempts to join another match, same thing happens. This happens 10 times in a row before he is finally able to join a playable match! There's no separate option to join DLC or non-DLC matches in the matchmaking and there seems to be no way for the game to tell that he doesn't have those maps. So I look over at the map list and there is about 12 original multiplayer maps and about 12 DLC maps but it seems like he can only join 1 out of every 8 or 10 times he attempts to join a match and every time it brings up the marketplace menu. The most annoying part is that the maps aren't cheap, the pack for all the maps is $25, which is about $7 more than I paid for the damn game. This seems to go beyond pushing you to buying those maps to utterly shoving them down your throat and punishing you for not having them. I can honestly say that I hope who ever made this decision is kicked into a giant pit by a half naked spartan king with perfect abs and sandals.

Dblueguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dblueguy

I recently purchased Call of Duty: World at War on Xbox 360 for my little brother since he really enjoys it. Well he plays single player and everything is going fine, he's loving the game and beats it on normal pretty quickly. Next he decides to load up the multiplayer and sees that there are still people playing online, even better! So he looks at the playlists he can choose and chooses one, he waits until he finds a game and then a message pops up. The message informs him that he does not own the map that match is currently playing on so it takes him out of the lobby he joined and pulls up the marketplace screen with the downloadable maps to purchase. Well seeing as he has no money he closes it and attempts to join another match, same thing happens. This happens 10 times in a row before he is finally able to join a playable match! There's no separate option to join DLC or non-DLC matches in the matchmaking and there seems to be no way for the game to tell that he doesn't have those maps. So I look over at the map list and there is about 12 original multiplayer maps and about 12 DLC maps but it seems like he can only join 1 out of every 8 or 10 times he attempts to join a match and every time it brings up the marketplace menu. The most annoying part is that the maps aren't cheap, the pack for all the maps is $25, which is about $7 more than I paid for the damn game. This seems to go beyond pushing you to buying those maps to utterly shoving them down your throat and punishing you for not having them. I can honestly say that I hope who ever made this decision is kicked into a giant pit by a half naked spartan king with perfect abs and sandals.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

I have no problems getting into a game.  But i also got all the maps for free by playing the PC version :)

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShaunassNZ

So you made an account on GB to tell us that?

Dblueguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dblueguy

Sad thing is I also have the PC version but I don't let my little brother use my gaming computer. I bought their silly game twice and that's how I'm treated.

Dblueguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dblueguy
    @ShaunassNZ: Yes
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Edin899
    @Dblueguy:
    Well....why did you get him world at war? you should have gotten him modern warfare 1, and you do know that these maps were really popular? so everbody that still plays world at war is probably playing on the maps they got as dlc
    Dblueguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dblueguy
    @Edin8999: I got it for him because that was the game he wanted, he really liked it when it first came out.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Bones8677

First of all, you're gonna need to get yourself out of the mindset that they are treating YOU like this. Nothing about this has to do with you. 

Otherwise, yeah, it kinda sucks not having the map packs and thus having a harder time to play. But look at it this way, you bought the game cheap, and if he really likes it, then he shouldn't have a problem buying the maps. Buy the maps with the money you saved when you got the old copy.

wjkelso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By wjkelso
    @Dblueguy: I have to agree with you, its a bit ridiculous that as the game gets cheaper to buy/older, the DLC still stays the same price. I dare say your hatred should be directed in the XBOX Live/Microsoft direction, they never discount much on Live, unless it's an arcade game. I think they need to take a look at Valves way of doing business.
    raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By raphaa00

The worst thing about games that puts multi-player modes as flagship is that they have a tiny lifespan. Actually, their cycle ends when the sequel comes, or when the competitor releases something fresh. It's not a natural thing, neither a good one, but rather a comprehensive exodus, from game to game, that moves and evolves the industry.

People who are buying, for example, MW2, a game that puts its online competitive mode on the top, and will spend their money buying all that pricey DLC, must know that it's reliability will not stand longer.

Treyarch dudes don't hate you. But you should tell your brother that the game he likes too much is, in some ways, old, and he better grabbing some fresh game for playing online.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they need money

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By superfriend

All of this is no excuse for someone not being able to join a game without the DLC. They should just create an option/playlist for people who don´t have the DLC- and the game should know that you don´t have it. 
    That´s why games nowadays have this thing called "matchmaking". People shouldn´t worry about patches and dlc, if they want to play "vanilla" WaW they should be placed in a match that doesn´t require the content. If no such match exists (which I doubt, since WaW is still popular) they should place you in a new game with you as the host and let people join your game.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The problem with that, Superfriend, is peer pressure no longer works. I myself have succumbed to the devious little shit in Halo and other such map-centric MP games. My friends would go on and on about new maps and how I just had to play them, and then eventually, bit by bit, they game devs would win and I'd fork over ten dollars for a handful of maps that aren't even that good. 

Without peer pressure--which is what your idea would curtail--then I think DLC map packs (at least paid) are not as big of a market as they are now. You'd still sell the map packs, but I imagine there are thousands--if not hundreds of thousands--like me who wind up succumbing to peer pressure to enjoy the game with friends.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Sander

Modern Warfare has separate playlists for those that don't have the map packs or those that only have 1, or the other. These playlists are unseen. 
    But since they began doing this, there have been a lot of connection issues, more than usual. 

Anyway, World at War did it right, due to those technical limitations. And Treyarch doesn't hate you, they just love the majority of the gamers who play their game. Those gamers happily spent all that money on DLC.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Yanngc33

Those maps should all be free by now its been two years

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By nukesniper

This was exactly my issue just now with this game. I rented MW3 and enjoyed a bit of it, but wanted to go back and play the older CoDs I never gave a chance (Maybe get ranked up for that little MW3 tag). But every time the game loads up a map I don't have it kicks me out and to the store. That said, I found a game super easy for an older game. And it was pretty fun (better than I remember), but the next map was DLC and I got booted. The next 4 attempts put me into games that were already on DLC maps, kicking me immediately. There is a playlist option for "Map Pack" so I didn't click that.

Being someone who loved CoD4 and MW2 online, I missed out on WaW online when it was new and I still have not played CoDBlOps. I'll probably go back to playing MW2 for my fun then.

Forum Necromancer? Yeah sure, but it is better than making another topic for the same reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.