Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Call of Duty - I don't think I'm alone in wanting this...

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By random_guy23

The new trailer for the next Call of Duty game (no surprises, it's Black Ops 3) was released yesterday. I was bitterly disappointed by the fact that the game doesn't really look to bring anything brand new to the table, it actually to me looks like Advanced Warfare 2. I think there are enough modern/futuristic shooters on the market right now and I think many people (like myself) are starting to get really bored of them.

So, I had some spare time today so I went and created an advert like image for what I would have personally liked to have seen from yesterday's reveal trailer. Thanks to an Enemy Front screenshot and some artwork by Jakub Mathia, I was able to make it look at least credible!

Let me know your own thoughts on where you would like to see the Call of Duty series head. I know it's a cash-cow for Activision, but surely now with the developers having a three-year cycle they would be able to create something entirely new?

No Caption Provided

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Canteu

I'd only be interested if they used the Big Tech™ Engine. Also, Men of Valor is an xbox (og) game.

But sure another WW2 game, why not.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Eh, I'm fine with another game that is like Advanced Warfare. No doubt I'll get sick of the movement gimmick eventually, but for now I still like the mechanic and I'm happy for them to iterate on it.

In terms of WW2 games, I'm sure I'll get my fill with that new Wolfenstein standalone releasing in summer.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Advanced Warfare it wouldn't have worked in any other form.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Pretty much agree with most people here in that the movement is kind of a big part of fps games now. Everyone has their form of "free movement" and for the most part it's a big positive. While I actually would love to get a WWII game into the new 3 year cycle, I doubt it's ever going to happen.

CommieNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Are we really cycling back into wanting WWII games?

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really would have liked them to focus a little longer on the Vietnam/Cold War stuff from Black Ops. I thought that was fantastic, and it's one of the big reasons that I enjoyed Black Ops so much. I suppose there was a bit of that in Black Ops 2, but then they jumped to the future. None of this futuristic stuff is really appealing to me, and I'd love to get back to WWII or Vietnam instead.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've seen a fair number of people express interest in a new WWII over the past year or so and I can't help but think that a lot of those people would buy this hypothetical new WWII shooter, play it, and then remember why we don't get many of those anymore.

That doesn't mean that something engaging can't be created in a WWII setting, but a traditional military shooter campaign? Eh.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

@commieninja said:

I hope not.

IF I never again hear the hiss-clank of a Garand rifle in my entire life I will be totally ok with that.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see full on gundam style mechs and space bullshit.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World at War is my favourite Call of Duty game and even I think that Call of Duty shouldn't return to WWII.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Nope. Literally anything is preferable to WW2 at this point. Don't want games about it, don't want movies about it, don't wanna read books about it. Unless somebody who lived through it is in the room with me telling personal stories, I'm just 100% not interested.

I get that it's the biggest, and therefore most objectively interesting conflict that has happened on this planet, but you can make up far more interesting things in fiction, so why not do that instead? We all already know wtf was up with WW2. There's nothing new, shocking, or engaging there. People like speculating about the future because it's an unknown factor.

If it were up to me I'd be playing a "science fantasy" shooter. Like something on a far flung future Earth where a lot of technology has been lost and we're back to using swords and flintlocks but we've somehow found magic. Something with a Book of the New Sun or Broken Empire feel.

se1zur3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't they just give us some crazy ass call of duty set on some planet. Super future tech COD would at least be a little different, maybe even good. I agree with the others saying WW2 shooters should never come back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I've played enough WWII games for my lifetime and BLOPS 2 and AW being my only CoD future shooters I'm not tired of them. I actually think BLOPS 3's future movement sounds like a good marriage between the stiffness of AW's and the parkour of Titanfall's.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@random_guy23: Moved to the Call of Duty forum. Please try to keep all threads in their relevant forums. Thanks!

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crembaw

Honestly at this point any further examination of World War 2 that isn't just flatly a VR sim with aggressive attention to detail and a focus on reenactment would seem like pointless navel-gazing. Look at how great the past was, guys. Look at it.

The stuff that pulled me back into CoD was when the Treyarch-IW split, which is now the weird Trifecta of studios, led to some interesting, involved takes on more recent ideas and sources of conflict. Black Ops and Advanced Warfare have both been pretty decent about that, with one examining the actions and aftermath of the full-on supervillain chicanery every side of the Cold War got up to, and the other looking at the very real possibility that maybe, some day, Nation-States won't be as important a factor in what people choose to get shot over. Both have been pretty decent pretenses for me to actually feel like getting involved in the Shootbangs offered therein.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I really would have liked them to focus a little longer on the Vietnam/Cold War stuff from Black Ops.

Yeah, I agree with this. I loved that stuff so much. The campaign of the first Black Ops is incredible.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The WW2 (and anything 'old' really) setting is limited when it comes to the variety in perks and killstreaks rewards. I guess that's one of the reasons why they won't do another one. With a future setting you can go bonkers. While I like the added movement options in the future setting CoD's, I also wouldn't mind a new big WW2 shooter. Not sure if CoD is the right series for that though.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coincidentally, I was playing Medal of Honour: Frontlines just yesterday after helping a client set up their PS2.
    Damn I miss WW2 games. Learning about history while having fun!! Edutainment at it's finest.

I'd love another WW2 game, hell I'd buy the crap out of a remake of Frontlines with an expanded D-Day Normandy Landing Scene.

You should also only play as 'immaculate British officers' with stiff upper lips and perfect hair and posture at all times.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@konig_kei said:

I want to see full on gundam style mechs and space bullshit.

Seriously.

That already exists - it's called Shogo: Mobile Armor Division. It was a really fun, full-on anime mecha first person shooter with crazy weapons and some gratuitous on-foot FPS action. For some reason Jeff and the gang mention it with complete dismay, but it was really a good game at the time.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be interested but it would really depend on how the campaign is done, if they could create battles that properly encompasses the grand scope of WWII from a riflemans perspective then yes. If it is the more "cinematic" corridor manshoots they have been making lately then no.

With regards to multiplayer is't not really my thing any more but I have fond memories of bolt action only matches in Cod2 and I could'd care less about the level progression, killstreak, prestige bullshit that is in every game these days.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like innovations in gameplay. COD is moving into the future because it gives them freedom to mix things up. Isnt that what we want? Am I crazy?

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That doesn't mean that something engaging can't be created in a WWII setting, but a traditional military shooter campaign? Eh.

That's how I feel about it too, if something really good can come from the WWII era, I don't see it being another shooter, but some sort of game that plays with an interesting mechanic or story perspective, it could still be a shooter as well but it needs something more, different, engaging to it then pretty graphics shooting dudes.
    Might as well just replay World at War if you just want to revisit what WWII shooters used to be.

As a few others have mentioned, I would want to see COD go full crazy, enough stepping stone "Hey, look, it's soooooort of in the future, you kind of have future tech, I guess." To just full bore space warfare crazy crap,

Dregdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the record there is a huge population of gamers that never stoped wanting WW2 games in the first place and think MW ruined the whole CoD series by making it modern in the first place. Now I don't personally want a new CoD that is a WW2 shooter (because I think the way those games play now would be completely unrealistic in a WW2 setting unless they toned them down a ton which would never happen) but I would have been way more interested in them going another direction. Black Ops 3? Really?

On the note of a WW2 game shouldn't be a shooter I think it is just that CoD WW2 games won't work anymore. People want more real WW2 experiences which is why games like Heroes and Generals and back in the day WW2 online get popular. A 24 or 32 player mp match is NOT WW2 and can never emulate WW2 correctly (not to mention I don't see CoD putting vehicles in anytime soon which would be core to any WW2 game imo). If anyone could go back to making a WW2 style game it would have to be Battlefield imo but even there they would need to increase player count. 64 v 64 battles could make a WW2 game make sense again? Large arching MP campaign where you choose a side and fight over actual territory. Part strategy and part FPS aka exactly what heroes and generals is trying to replicate except with less f2p BS would be amazing I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.