Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Is it time for a WWII COD return?

• 69 results
    Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it time for a WWII COD return? (258 votes)

Yes 64%
    No 36%

The duders brought it up on the show this week (2/16 about an hour and a half in) in regards to the Blops III multiplayer only PC news, and I thought it was interesting as I have also seen some renewed interest. What does the crowd think, time to go back to the stories of WWII or say screw it and lean head first into this future war thing?

• 
    stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By stonyman65

A return to WW2 would be cool. It's to the point now where the whole modern/future military thing is so wrote and boring that we've come full circle back to where we were with WW2 games in the early 2000's.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doing away with the WWII era is the whole reason I stopped playing those games in the first place

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GiantLizardKing

I'm tired of the pop cultural obsession with WWII altogether. Yes it is possibly the most significant conflict in the history of mankind, but OTHER SHIT HAS HAPPENED TOO...sorry.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

I'm kinda done with both? Tbh I'd be okay with something something completely new and fictional in like, a 90s/modern day setting.

Basically just give me another game with the Burger Town level from MW2.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

It's time for an HD remaster of MW1 and 2. I would happily pay $60 for a double pack with both in, or even just MW2 multiplayer with all the maps from 1 included.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6 FinalDasa  Moderator

Voted no. I don't want that exact formula to come back.

But if they did people would buy it out for nostalgia sake.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind another WWII CoD, but they would have to do something more with it to differentiate it from World At War? I'm not sure what they would do though if they've already covered a lot of the major recognizable conflicts. Maybe cover them again, but better? Ha. I'm sure they could present things better than they did in WaW.

Have they done anything with the 70's-90's? I know things got a bit muddy with what decades they covered with games like Black Ops II.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not CoD but I'd play a WW2 game again for sure. Something like Red Orchestra but with a campaign.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

The speculative future war stuff is just goddamn stupid, and seriously turned me away from the series for the last couple years.

So yeah I would welcome just about anything pre-1990 at this point, why not WW2 again... there are still loads of fresh perspectives to take on combat from that era, if they so choose

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have more WWI games, even though intellectually I understand that trench warfare can make for boring multiplayer. Verdun was fun though.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Korea.

I think one set in Korea would be interesting. I guess some might see that as provocative, but I think it just highlights a war and conflict that too often get swept under the rug. The West (USA, England, Europe) did A LOT of dirty stuff to kick that conflict off.

We were fighting on behalf of Syngman Rhee, the US-educated-and-sponsored dictator of South Korea, whose adgednda was demonstrated by the assassinations of his leftist political opponents. For over twenty years, Rhee’s belligerent ruled killed and imprisoned many people; thousands of his political opponents were murdered and tens of thousands were jailed or driven into exile. BTW: If you ever wondered what Billy Joel was talking about in his song "We Didn't Start the Fire" with the line, "

...U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
    Chubby Checker, "Psycho", Belgians in the Congo"

He was talking about, the news story in 1960 that Syngman Rhee was rescued by the CIA after being forced to resign as leader of South Korea for allegedly fixing an election and embezzling more than $20 million. His ouster from South Korea was called the "April Revolution of 1960".

America sucks sometimes....

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is about where I stand. The future stuff is so boring and dumb to me.

I voted yes for WWII, but I think my first choice would actually be some more Vietnam/Cold War era stuff. The first Black Ops was SO good - give me more of that!

The speculative future war stuff is just goddamn stupid, and seriously turned me away from the series for the last couple years.

So yeah I would welcome just about anything pre-1990 at this point, why not WW2 again... there are still loads of fresh perspectives to take on combat from that era, if they so choose

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World at War II. Only if they keep the mobility granted by the power suit/jump packs/cybernetics/ect. of the most recent CODs.

Is there any possibility of a COD not set in a war or has Battlefield: Hardline proved that as an ill fitting concept for a shooty-shoot shooter?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aurahack said:

I'm kinda done with both? Tbh I'd be okay with something something completely new and fictional in like, a 90s/modern day setting.

Basically just give me another game with the Burger Town level from MW2.

That's similar to what those old Delta Force and Tom Clancy games used to do which was pretty cool. Taking somewhat real-world events and building fictional stories around them. Keeping with real world conflicts, there is a lot of stuff on the US side that hasn't been used in games very much - Grenada, Panama, Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Kosovo, all of the early-late 70's black ops stuff in South America taking down drug cartels and Soviet-backed dictators, lots of overt and covert espionage and unconventional warfare along Eastern/Western Europe border during the Cold War.... There's a lot of stuff they could get into that follows the whole special operations theme of the recent Call of Duty titles. And that's not even getting into the stuff that the UK and Russia did during that time as well.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I want a gritty WW1 CoD, but that would probably change the multiplayer so much it'll never actually happen.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problem with the WW2 setting is that it will be hard for the developers to come up with a lot of killstreak rewards, perks, weapons and attachments. Unless they want to go for a more barebones game, but then people will complain about the lack of content.

So no WW2 CoD (and Battlefield) I guess. A new Day of Defeat however...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Probably. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already tbh, what with the new consoles coming out. Right now I just blank out anything CoD related because it all looks like nonsense.

They could always return to WW2 without just doing Normandy and Stalingrad over and over again.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike most it seems, I never even had a problem with WW2 to begin with. Then again I don't play COD every year or anything like that so I never really felt the WWII fatigue that some people apparently felt.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either WW2 or Cold War era like the first Black Ops. I don't like the exoskeleton stuff that they had the last two years.

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with going back to WWII is that the CoD crowd is now used to the fast-paced action of the recent titles, as well as crazy kill streaks and customization.

Now what they could do to make it work is to make a follow-up to the most underrated FPS of the last generation... Darkest of Days.

Guys I just want a good Darkest of Days follow-up.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Or failing that, Someone make a new Brother in arms.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rather BF do that (since they won't Bad Company 3 nor 2143) than COD, because COD needed the movement magics. Been too long since the last WW2 MP shooter and campaign that was worth half a damn. Maybe as long as summer 2002.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#23 fisk0  Moderator

It's mostly the mechanics of Call of Duty that are incredibly rote to me, much more so than the setting. The progression and campaign design haven't done anything for me since 2007.

Just changing the setting isn't enough to make it an interesting franchise for me again, and rather see them rebuild the entire thing from the ground up. Or maybe just create an entirely new military shooter franchise without the old baggage.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care about Call of Duty or first person shooters anymore. I'd welcome a new WWII game that deals with themes other than combat. An adventure game, perhaps.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Voted yes, but would prefer a game set in Vietnam, something that really hasn't been touched upon in any major franchises. Only real Vietnam shooter I've played was Conflict Vietnam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

It would be nice to see a complete U-turn on current genre trend of fast paced future action back to WW2 or Vietnam.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

A new COD WW2 game would be great, but I doubt Activision will be the one to make it. I think it will take a different developer to think outside the box.

So it may not be a COD WW2 game, but something very similar.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather see them do a World War one or Korean War game.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love a ww2 game if it wasn't just the late war American involvement. I swear most ww2 games are set in 1943 or 1944

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted no because we don't need another Call of Duty.

But I would not mind another WWII shooter (FPS or Third Person Action) on current gen.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will always enjoy WWII games, but one around the early 90s (or just that general block of time, even to the 80s or 70s) would be great. Desert Storm/Shield, Gothic Serpent (a new Black Hawk Down / Joint Operations game would be rad), hell put one out where the main bad guy is Pablo Escobar and you're working with Centra Spike and the Search Bloc.

Or just make something up around that time frame, kind of like how the Wargame franchise took the cold war and made it hot.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Sign me up. I'll gladly jump back into a WWII video game setting.

That being said, I was a history major in college, so I dig learning about this kind of stuff.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just give me anything that isn't current day/near future military! Give me WWI, WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. Let me shoot things with a Springfield again. It would be cool to shoot something with an M14 (and also not have it solely as a sniper rifle).

CoD2 was by far my favourite game in the series; never will forget doing the entire campaign during my first finals week in college.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or you know, go the old-school Rainbow Six route and make it super realistic.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the idea of a Korean era slash Vietnam era COD.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Every FPS nowadays is either a modern shooter or a sci-fi shooter, so eventually we'll go full circle and do the WW2 stuff again.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want the developers to take a hard look at what was good and what was bad in Modern Warfare 1 and 2 multiplayer, and then give us a Modern Warfare Trilogy, with all three campaigns. Fix what was bad about the first two multiplayer games, and give us a bunch of maps from those games. They could even go with the same sort of black market DLC plans that Black Ops III is using, which could make them a ton of money.

I'm sure there are lots of people who haven't touched COD in a while, but would gladly come back if it meant MW1 and MW2 gameplay without the problems those games had.

If not that though, at this point I'd probably rather see a return to WW2, rather than another future COD. But I have to wonder how many people working at the remains of Infinity Ward have ever even worked on a WW2 shooter before. That would be going back before even the original Modern Warfare.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I haven't given a shit about Call of Duty since Modern Warfare 2 and would give even LESS of a shit about a WWII COD.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'd rather keep it in near-future/modern day, but make it more interesting as a game, please. Call of Duty 4 had an awesome campaign back in 2007, but super-linear set-piece heavy military shooters have been played to death and just aren't fun anymore, and haven't been for a long time. There's way, way more that can be done with the setting, even within the confines of a first person shooter. I'd be OK with putting it back in WW2 as well, I just want to see some new ideas, mechanics, character archetypes, anything put into the genre, as long as I feel like I'm playing a game and not just performing the exact sequence of actions I'm being told to perform. (There might be some meta-commentary about unquestionably taking orders there, but the chance to make that commentary has come and gone).

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, there is hundreds of different settings that aren't WW2, present day or near future.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, there is hundreds of different settings that aren't WW2, present day or near future.

CoD: Agincourt?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Nope, we've all done operation Market Garden over two dozen times already. Better go into the speculative future instead of lovingly recreating that garand hiss-pop sound for ejecting a clip.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:
    @jonny_anonymous said:

CoD: Agincourt?

I'd play that lol

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got done watching Deutschland '83 (which is great btw). Cold War warmed up could be an excellent setting, if they didn't make it stupid.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I've been craving another WW2 shooter for quite some time now. So absolutely 100% yes please!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll totally play the shit out of Call of Duty: Battle of Carthage.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fractal_seaweed

No. Nope. No way. Nuh uh. I think they've milked the WWII backdrop enough. That era-setting peaked for me in the old Battlefield games. I agree: speculative futures all the way please. For me, Black Ops 3 hit the perfect formula (although: new weapons in random crate unlocks? Ugh.). There's no way I can go back to just plodding around, the hectic fast pace is too much fun to give up.

And who doesn't like futuristic gun sounds? (P-06 sniper-rifle, god damn) Imagine if they added a gun that mimicked the Aliens Pulse Rifle...

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

If they added some fiction to the Bosnian War, that could make for a damn interesting game. There are varied environments and there's enough in the real plot of what happened to make for a great campaign. They just really need to let go of the dude-bro attitude and make something interesting. But that would surely go against the marketing stats.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ThePanzini

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.