Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Job Ads Say Sledgehammer's Call of Duty Will Be A FPS

• 52 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Modern Warfare 2 was sort of a big deal.
    While Infinity Ward seemingly crumbles in the media's eyes and Treyarch plows onward with its next Call of Duty, Black Ops, it's easy to forget that Sledgehammer Games is still behind the throttle of yet another Call of Duty title. But there's another reason aside from momentary spotlight blindness that we haven't talked much about the other Call of Duty--dudes haven't said much about their involvement with the title.

The studio still hasn't--other than to confirm the fact that it is indeed working on a Call of Duty and it will be an "action-adventure" title--but a little information nugget snuck out recently in a rash of job ads posted by the new wholly owned Activision studio at Gamasutra (via G4). Sledgehammer's Call of Duty will be a first-person shooter. "We are actively recruiting top talent for our Call of Duty First Person Shooter development team," the job descriptions reads. "If you have a desire to work on the most successful FPS franchise in the history of video games, apply online. We’re always looking for great people." 

The two head honchos at Sledgehammer Games are Michael Condrey and Glen A. Schofield. The duo came from Visceral Games fresh from the development of Dead Space, where they served as the senior director and executive producer respectively, helping mold the action-horror title into the creepy, atmospheric, limb-hacking critical success that it was. I mention this because there's a widely held belief that Sledgehammer's Call of Duty will be something different from the norm, mainly because of the "action-adventure" statement. Coming off Dead Space and then launching a new studio…a man can hope that this Call of Duty won't just be all gruff dudes who kill other dudes on a historical battlefield. 

Not that I'm complaining about the last Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2, or anything. 

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

While Infinity Ward seemingly crumbles in the media's eyes and Treyarch plows onward with its next Call of Duty, Black Ops, it's easy to forget that Sledgehammer Games is still behind the throttle of yet another Call of Duty title. But there's another reason aside from momentary spotlight blindness that we haven't talked much about the other Call of Duty--dudes haven't said much about their involvement with the title.

The studio still hasn't--other than to confirm the fact that it is indeed working on a Call of Duty and it will be an "action-adventure" title--but a little information nugget snuck out recently in a rash of job ads posted by the new wholly owned Activision studio at Gamasutra (via G4). Sledgehammer's Call of Duty will be a first-person shooter. "We are actively recruiting top talent for our Call of Duty First Person Shooter development team," the job descriptions reads. "If you have a desire to work on the most successful FPS franchise in the history of video games, apply online. We’re always looking for great people." 

The two head honchos at Sledgehammer Games are Michael Condrey and Glen A. Schofield. The duo came from Visceral Games fresh from the development of Dead Space, where they served as the senior director and executive producer respectively, helping mold the action-horror title into the creepy, atmospheric, limb-hacking critical success that it was. I mention this because there's a widely held belief that Sledgehammer's Call of Duty will be something different from the norm, mainly because of the "action-adventure" statement. Coming off Dead Space and then launching a new studio…a man can hope that this Call of Duty won't just be all gruff dudes who kill other dudes on a historical battlefield. 

Not that I'm complaining about the last Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2, or anything. 

Kowalczyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Kowalczyk

Looks interesting but I really need to see something from this, seems like an odd combo.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Darkstar614

Oh no shit? A Call of Duty game will be an FPS. THIS SURE IS SOME GREAT NEWS COVERAGE RECENTLY.

I feel like I'm on Giant Kotaku Bomb

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MisterMouse

It would be cooly if it turned out to be a wholely unique call of duty game.

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5  Edited By mariussmit
    @Kowalczyk said:

" Looks nice "

@Kowalczyk: I'm going to guess that you wanted to be the first post and that was the fastest thing you could type? :-)    
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

I'm not sure "An FPS" is the proper way to say it... but it doesn't matter, because I don't really care. I'm still playing World at War online (my favorite CoD game so far, and yes, I played CoD4).

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By aurahack

Well, they made Dead Space. Would it too far of an assumption that the team from Visceral would be fulfilling the registered IP of "COD: Space Warfare"?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Darkstar614 said:
    " Oh no shit? A Call of Duty game will be an FPS. THIS SURE IS SOME GREAT NEWS COVERAGE RECENTLY.  I feel like I'm on Giant Kotaku Bomb "
    You know what I like(d) about Giant Bomb? How its news is quality (importance) over quantity. That seems to have changed ever since these two new guys appeared. Now the site feels almost as shitty as Destructiod or Kotaku.
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By nanikore
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Darkstar614 said:
    " Oh no shit? A Call of Duty game will be an FPS. THIS SURE IS SOME GREAT NEWS COVERAGE RECENTLY.  I feel like I'm on Giant Kotaku Bomb "
    You know what I like(d) about Giant Bomb? How its news is quality (importance) over quantity. That seems to have changed ever since these two new guys appeared. Now the site feels almost as shitty as Destructiod or Kotaku. "
    I'M AFRAID OF CHANGE TOO WAAAHHWHAHAHFSehabfgosrgnvlöikzöv
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By dbz1995
    @Darkstar614 said:
    I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a joke.

Anyway, I'm excited for this game.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Wow it was like moths since they realesed a new Call of Duty game, whats taking them so long?

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By microshock

Having Call of Duty not be an FPS is like having Gran Turismo turn into a FPS.  

Was this a surprise to anyone?

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By davidwitten22
    @nanikore: this. 

I don't think I could really see Call of Duty as anything but an FPS anyways. Don't know why they would call it an "Action-Adventure" game though.
    McDunkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McDunkin

Why do I have the feeling that this is going to end up as terrible as Counter-Strike: Condition Zero did?

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Insert complaint post here

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder

I want a point 'n' click CoD adventure :(

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By louiedog

Does anyone think that this franchise won't end up very tired very soon?

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Binman88
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Darkstar614 said:
    You know what I like(d) about Giant Bomb? How its news is quality (importance) over quantity. That seems to have changed ever since these two new guys appeared. Now the site feels almost as shitty as Destructiod or Kotaku. "
    Time for you to leave then. The door is that way ->
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By FreakAche

The only rumoured/announced CoD game that I'm even remotely interested in is the one that Raven is supposedly making.

Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Earthborn

I'm caring about this news.

This is me, caring.
     This is me, caring.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

Shocker!

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MiniPato
    @Darkstar614 said:
    Because the guy who headed the development of Dead Space is working on an action adventure CoD. Keyword: Action Adventure. So the fact that it is still an FPS is valid news.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By williamhenry
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Darkstar614 said:
    I agree. I still love the site and its pretty much the only video game site I look at, but I feel that a lot of the stuff thats being posted lately isn't really worth posting. Every rumor and little tidbits about stuff doesn't need to be posted.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SHIT SON

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Godlovesugly
    @Binman88 said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

" @Darkstar614 said:
    Time for you to leave then. The door is that way ->"
    Now it's kotaku. 
    There's nothing wrong with criticism, I hope we don't get to the stage where we can't critique because of the fear of being banned. 

(something bothering me about that sentence, I'm hung over so whatever)
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten

HAH! OH MY! "Sadly, there was no mention of 3D" 
    Seriously, where do you come up with that stuff? It cracks me up!

TheDoubleJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheDoubleJ
    @Godlovesugly:
    i agree with you on you should be allowed to critic the site but i don't think the news has goten all that bad (acept for this one)
    Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sil3n7

I'm kind of a big deal.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fwylo

Ya I've been enjoying the extra bunch of news coverage.  This is a tad bit useless though. 

Glad to hear it's an FPS I guess though if they aren't finishing off the Price/Soap storyline I'm not sure if I'll even care to play it.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ZmillA

I find all this hate on the new outside reporter guy to be very fascinating

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

New God of War game will feature war, gods.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By buzz_killington

I thought they're gonna make a third-person Call of Duty. If it's going to be first person, what the hell does "action adventure" mean? Like Metroid Prime?? I doubt it.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Evilsbane

What? Oh... kinda burnt out on Military shooters now, it took a shitload of them but I think I am about as sick of modern war as I am of World War. You can stop now!!! Or a least do future or something.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zdgro

Thank you Activision for turning something wholesome and fun and turning it into some cheap whore. Soon there will be 7 COD games coming out per year... I wanna go back to the days of MW1 when infinity ward just made a sweet fun game without all the hype (which also brings tons of haters).... At this rate, if they ever finish the soap/price stuff it will be done by treyarch... terrible terrible sad angry spam eggs and spam. In a perfect world the next news story would be 'Activision Sells Call of Duty Franchise to Respawn Entertainment for $5 and a Pack of Smokes'.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Binman88
    @Godlovesugly said:
    " @Binman88 said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

" @Darkstar614 said:
    Time for you to leave then. The door is that way ->"
    Now it's kotaku.  There's nothing wrong with criticism, I hope we don't get to the stage where we can't critique because of the fear of being banned.    (something bothering me about that sentence, I'm hung over so whatever) "
    I'm all for people critiquing when necessary, but waltzing into an article and declaring that the website has become "shitty" is hardly constructive. It's actually quite offensive to the two new guys.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Milkman

Taking the guys who made one of the best horror games of this generation in Dead Space and then asking them to make a first-person shooter seems like a waste of talent.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Vorbis

So the guys who complained for years that EA forced them to make rehashes finally got to make their own IP, Dead Space, which was amazing and in thanks they joined their rivals, who are now making them work on a Call of Duty FPS?

Karmas a bitch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nanikore said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Darkstar614 said:
    I'M AFRAID OF CHANGE TOO WAAAHHWHAHAHFSehabfgosrgnvlöikzöv "
    Both you guys are being over sensitive.  I'm happy to see a faster news feed for giantbomb.  Plus, it's a slow news week, people get paid for how much they write or by meeting their quotas.  They have to write something.  What till E3 and after, it'll be fine.  
    Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Olivaw

I appreciate this news item because I did not think this game would be an FPS! See, they called it an "action-adventure" game but that implies a very different kind of game than "FPS" does.

But now we know, and I no longer care about this game.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By meteora

Interesting duo. 

But I have a bad feeling about it, either way.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41  Edited By natetodamax

Yay

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By c1337us

The direction of the Call of Duty games is giving me a fucking head ache. I am now deciding not to care until games are made and I see boxes on shelves and I can see whats what.

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Godlovesugly
    @Binman88: 
    Yeah I get you.  I'm not saying they're right either, It's just not helpful say to tell people to "leave" if they don't like it. I'd like to think that maybe if you had a criticism someone wouldn't just ignore you or tell you to leave, I'd like to think someone would take note.

I dunno, I think it's always good to get criticism...if it's constructive it's always preferred. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187

Where in the job ads does it specifically say "Sledgehammer is making a first-person shooter"?  It says they are looking for people to work on their first-person shooter development team, but it does not mean that they aren't working on Modern Warfare 3 as well as this action-adventure title. 

I'm not going to lie - I'm not really digging the way the news is being handled lately.  TOO...MUCH...RUMOR...AND...SPECULATION!!!  Give me SOLID news, 100% confirmed news.  I'll hit the forums for rumors and speculations.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By spaceturtle
    @jakob187 said:
    " Where in the job ads does it specifically say "Sledgehammer is making a first-person shooter"?  It says they are looking for people to work on their first-person shooter development team, but it does not mean that they aren't working on Modern Warfare 3 as well as this action-adventure title.  I'm not going to lie - I'm not really digging the way the news is being handled lately.  TOO...MUCH...RUMOR...AND...SPECULATION!!!  Give me SOLID news, 100% confirmed news.  I'll hit the forums for rumors and speculations. "
    I'll hit you for being so uptight! 

Naaah, man. I kid. Actually, I agree. Solid Snake news even, I say.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By MeatSim

Well at least the franchise hasn't devolved into a Kart Racer yet.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Coombs
    @jakob187 said:
    "  I'm not going to lie - I'm not really digging the way the news is being handled lately.  TOO...MUCH...RUMOR...AND...SPECULATION!!!  Give me SOLID news, 100% confirmed news.  I'll hit the forums for rumors and speculations. "
    Now that is constructive criticism,  I also agree fully.

As far as this game goes,  I'll wait for video of the actual gameplay before I form an opinion.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Rowr
    @Darkstar614 said:

your retarded, it was initially said to be an "action adventure". Thats why its news.

Action adventure obviously under the broadest terms as opposed to an Actual action adventure game. 

Not to mention like he said, most people probably have forgotten about the dead space guys being there (from EA to ACTIVISION) as sledghammer games.

This news is relevant to my interests.
    Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pepsicolaboy
    @Coombs said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    "  I'm not going to lie - I'm not really digging the way the news is being handled lately.  TOO...MUCH...RUMOR...AND...SPECULATION!!!  Give me SOLID news, 100% confirmed news.  I'll hit the forums for rumors and speculations. "
    Now that is constructive criticism,  I also agree fully.  As far as this game goes,  I'll wait for video of the actual gameplay before I form an opinion. "

...yeah. Not totally in love with the 'news' stream that is flooding the home page.

The puns keep rolling in - GiantN4GBomb, KoBombtu, JoyBomb.... 

Anyway enough of that. im sure ill get used to it. Still love the site. 
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nanikore said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Darkstar614 said:
    I'M AFRAID OF CHANGE TOO WAAAHHWHAHAHFSehabfgosrgnvlöikzöv "
    Exactly. People don't seem to realize that you don't have to click every news story on the site. You might even go as far as to say that you can choose to ignore the ones you're uninterested in! What a world we live in! 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.