Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Stop calling Call of duty serious or realistic

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vermy81

There are serious and realistic first person shooters.  They are not mainstream, they aren't on consoles.   

I just read a bunch of people writing about bulletstorm and they all used leads saying that the market today is too crowded with serious and realistic shooters.    

No it's not.  You should play Arma II so you know what a realistic shooter looks like.   That's not even a knock against Bulletstorm or Call of Duty or support for what these games are.  It's just a fact that Arma II or the Original Operation Flashpoint for the PC are the kinds of things that a realistic shooter is like.  It's not fast paced, there's a lot involved more than just running around shooting dudes.   

I don't really like that style of game but they're a realistic game.  COD is just as arcadey as bulletstorm it's just a question of what kind of paint you put on it.  

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Those aren't realistic either.  No shooter is.
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By willin

I'll fight anyone who tells me Duke Nukem isn't serious or realistic.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Vermy81 said:
    "COD is just as arcadey as bulletstorm it's just a question of what kind of paint you put on it.   "
    It's either black or white? No grey? OK.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti

All aboard the Hyperbole boat!

Kaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Kaspar

This looks a lot like something that belongs in a blog.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By vidiot

Who the hell proclaims that Call of Duty is either of these?! Perhaps they meant "modern shooters"?

spartan0187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By spartan0187

Until I can play a game where:
     A) a grenade can kill someone from 20 feet away because of shrapnel fragments flying in their eye cavities
     B) a bullet from a .50 caliber sniper rifle kills someone just by disturbing the air enough near their body to give them a concussion and/or internal bleeding
     C) a smoke grenade takes about 45 seconds to a whole minute to produce enough smoke to provide cover for multiple allied members

Then sir I must object to your statement, and say that trying to vouch for a game being realistic is pointless, and it becomes simply about what is fun to play and what is not fun to play.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BraveToaster
    @FiestaUnicorn said:

" Those aren't realistic either.  No shooter is. "

This. Also OP, why do you have your panties in a knot over something so minute?
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Axxol said:
    " @FiestaUnicorn said:

This. Also OP, why do you have your panties in a knot over something so minute? "

Panties... 
    Panties... 
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @spartan0187:  Bullet ripples can really do that? Whooaaaaa.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @JoeyRavn said:
    " @Vermy81 said:
    "COD is just as arcadey as bulletstorm it's just a question of what kind of paint you put on it.   "
    It's either black or white? No grey? OK. "
    Actually, it is about as arcadey. You heal up in a couple of seconds, you move fast as hell for pretty much as long as you want and SOMETIMES FASTER, emptying a 30 round mag on full auto takes like 10 seconds, which is about 3 rounds a second, you magically jump into helicopters and gun people down, and every soldier has a device that calls heavy ordinance down on their enemies, or highlights them on a heads up display map. 

Pretty fuckin Arcadey. 

I kinda agree, but CoD is very arcadey. And generally the grouping is pretty tight. There isn't a full spectrum. There are games like Duke Nukem, there are games like CoD and Bad Company, there are games like Rainbow six, and there are games like those ones with the AI voices. And then there are military simulations. There are small chunks of the spectrum that are heavily populated, and the rest kind of fills with the occasional game here and there. 

People will always say stupid shit, it's best to just let them be. It's like the idiots who constantly compared Call of Duty to Halo 3. Two awesome yet totally different games.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Vermy81 said:

" There are serious and realistic first person shooters.  They are not mainstream, they aren't on consoles.    I just read a bunch of people writing about bulletstorm and they all used leads saying that the market today is too crowded with serious and realistic shooters.     No it's not.  You should play Arma II so you know what a realistic shooter looks like.   That's not even a knock against Bulletstorm or Call of Duty or support for what these games are.  It's just a fact that Arma II or the Original Operation Flashpoint for the PC are the kinds of things that a realistic shooter is like.  It's not fast paced, there's a lot involved more than just running around shooting dudes.    I don't really like that style of game but they're a realistic game.  COD is just as arcadey as bulletstorm it's just a question of what kind of paint you put on it.   "

I think what people mean by "serious" or "realistic" are not referring to the mechanics or the gameplay but rather the style of the game and also the tone of the game. Games like COD are generally set in real world situations, using real-world weapons, hence they are going for a "realistic" style even if the gameplay itself is not realistic (i.e. in that sense, there is no such thing as a "realistic" shooter outside of an actual combat simulator). Also while a game like COD doesn't necessarily always take itself seriously, it's definitely much more serious in tone than Bulletstorm, which is intentionally designed to be silly from the start. Though you can certainly argue that COD-style games are usually silly in their own ways. Gameplay wise, Bulletstorm and Modern Warfare isn't that different if we break down the basic game play components (i.e. the main difference would be that Bulletstorm has  skill shots) but in terms of tone and setting, they are very different.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Geno

/agreed. Just about the only thing realistic about CoD is that bullets kill you. The settings and characters are way overdramatized and the gunplay is a joke. Same goes for the Battlefield Bad Company series. Arma II should be used as the benchmark for what a "realistic" shooter is. Too bad only something like 1% of the total gaming population has heard of it, let alone played it. 

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pinworm45

No one calls it either of those, stop giving a shit about games you don't give a shit about.

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vermy81
    @Axxol said:
    " @FiestaUnicorn said:

This. Also OP, why do you have your panties in a knot over something so minute? "
    Because words have meanings.   I actually love Call of Duty, I think it's a really fun single player game.  However, those games are like the absurd speed driven fantasies of someone who thinks Michael Bay movies are high drama.    

I was actually kind of convinced that Call of Duty games were satirical after playing MW2 and was shocked to see that the producers were presenting it as something they were serious about.   
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

CoD is definitely a lot more realistic than Bulletstorm. Pretty much all the weapons and stuff in there are real-ass guns, and for the most part, what happens in those games is stuff that could happen in real life.  

And if you bump the difficulty up, you die after one or two hits, just like in real life (pretty much). 

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vermy81
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @Vermy81 said:

" There are serious and realistic first person shooters.  They are not mainstream, they aren't on consoles.    I just read a bunch of people writing about bulletstorm and they all used leads saying that the market today is too crowded with serious and realistic shooters.     No it's not.  You should play Arma II so you know what a realistic shooter looks like.   That's not even a knock against Bulletstorm or Call of Duty or support for what these games are.  It's just a fact that Arma II or the Original Operation Flashpoint for the PC are the kinds of things that a realistic shooter is like.  It's not fast paced, there's a lot involved more than just running around shooting dudes.    I don't really like that style of game but they're a realistic game.  COD is just as arcadey as bulletstorm it's just a question of what kind of paint you put on it.   "

I think what people mean by "serious" or "realistic" are not referring to the mechanics or the gameplay but rather the style of the game and also the tone of the game. Games like COD are generally set in real world situations, using real-world weapons, hence they are going for a "realistic" style even if the gameplay itself is not realistic (i.e. in that sense, there is no such thing as a "realistic" shooter outside of an actual combat simulator). Also while a game like COD doesn't necessarily always take itself seriously, it's definitely much more serious in tone than Bulletstorm, which is intentionally designed to be silly from the start. Though you can certainly argue that COD-style games are usually silly in their own ways. Gameplay wise, Bulletstorm and Modern Warfare isn't that different if we break down the basic game play components (i.e. the main difference would be that Bulletstorm has  skill shots) but in terms of tone and setting, they are very different. "
    I feel like the tone of the last two CoD games went way off the deep end out of serious land.   Like maybe the WWII games were serious but not realistic, but they've gone full speed into crazy-ville in  MW and Black Ops.  
    hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hero_swe
    @spartan0187 said:
    "

B) a bullet from a .50 caliber sniper rifle kills someone just by disturbing the air enough near their body to give them a concussion and/or internal bleeding.

"

A .50 caliber bullet will not shatter or even dent wineglasses or normal glass while passing close to it, a .50 caliber bullet will NOT, cause physical harm by missing.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Turambar
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " All aboard the Hyperbole boat! "
    You know, I use to pronounce hyperbole as hyper-bowl for the longest time.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By time allen
    @Turambar said:

" @Tennmuerti said:

You know, I use to pronounce hyperbole as hyper-bowl for the longest time. "
    HYPURBULLE. nonsensical pronunciation all day every day.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @MordeaniisChaos said: 

@JoeyRavn said: 

@Vermy81 said: 
    "COD is just as arcadey as bulletstorm it's just a question of what kind of paint you put on it.   "
    It's either black or white? No grey? OK. "
    Actually, it is about as arcadey. You heal up in a couple of seconds, you move fast as hell for pretty much as long as you want and SOMETIMES FASTER, emptying a 30 round mag on full auto takes like 10 seconds, which is about 3 rounds a second, you magically jump into helicopters and gun people down, and every soldier has a device that calls heavy ordinance down on their enemies, or highlights them on a heads up display map.   Pretty fuckin Arcadey. "
    AFAIK, there are no crazy combo kills or giant mechanical T-Rexes in CoD. What you mention are "creative licences". It should be pretty obvious by now that games call for a certain suspension of disbelief, which includes many, if not all, of the features you mentioned. Sure, CoD is far from being "realistic", but at least it tries to keep in touch with reality, with more or less success, but at least it tries. Bulletstorm, on the other hand, does not.  

Are you seriously telling me that you see Bulletstorm as "arcadey" as CoD? You really believe that there is absolutely no shade of grey between the two games?    I must have been playing CoD wrong all these years.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It's 'realistic' for game standards. If shooters played like real life, only serial killers would play it, because it would be gross to look at.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @FiestaUnicorn said:
    This.

BLOODY SCREEN. SO REALISTIC.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I want to play Arma II and Operation Flashpoint

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Agent47
    @Vermy81: I think you missed the point there pal, when they said that they mean serious as in the sense that it involves the real war in Afghan or past real wars. Uses real weapons, and terrorism as it means of a setting.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27  Edited By JasonR86

I think when people use the words 'realistic' and 'serious' for games they mean in terms of setting and tone.  COD has a Hollywood take on realistic settings and a serious-action movie tone.  Yeah, comparing what actually happens in real life and what takes place in these games the comparison is ridiculous.  But, for entertainment mediums, COD is fairly realistic and serious.  I can't really comment on games like ARMA II as I stay away from them like the plague.  But, I doubt even those games adequately mimic what is actually experienced by soldiers how experience those situations every day.  Therefore, I think saying they are more 'realistic' or 'serious' is a bit of a stretch. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By thatfrood

no one calls them that

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By triple07
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " CoD is definitely a lot more realistic than Bulletstorm. Pretty much all the weapons and stuff in there are real-ass guns, and for the most part, what happens in those games is stuff that could happen in real life.   And if you bump the difficulty up, you die after one or two hits, just like in real life (pretty much).  "
    This. Also its all relative. Compared to Bulletstorm which is set on some crazy planet where the laws of physics are different , Call of Duty looks a lot more realistic to me. Not that it is some simulation or anything but then again its not supposed to be.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Bones8677
    @Turambar said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    You know, I use to pronounce hyperbole as hyper-bowl for the longest time. "
    Shhh that's the secret football game that is above the Super Bowl. We aren't allowed to talk about it.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By mikemcn

Who ever said it was realistic. and the single player is plenty serious. Theres just some off tone moments. 

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Tennmuerti said:
    Hyperboat?
    CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CptChiken

If you dont go down, scream in pain, and need a medic to carry you off the battle field everytime you're shot its not realistic... i mean seriously, no one can get shot like 5 times and keep fighting.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azteck
    @Tennmuerti said:
    The shrimp are great!
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Brendan

Seriously.  Let's be real people.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FritzDude

If i want to see realistic shooting i go and watch the news.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37  Edited By natetodamax
    @spartan0187 said:
    B) a bullet from a .50 caliber sniper rifle kills someone just by disturbing the air enough near their body to give them a concussion and/or internal bleeding
      I refuse to believe that.  
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic

whats with all the obsession with realism in games, games have good stories, etc.. ? 
     why should a game be so realistic to impress? why should a game have a great story to be a masterpiece video game ? 

fuck realism and fuck stories WHEN a certain game does fine without them. i dont want realistic shooters, thats boring, we're playing video games here

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HisDudeness

The only shooter that ever seemed realistic to me was Six Days In Fallujah, such a shame it won't get a release.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hero_swe
    @natetodamax said:
    "

@spartan0187 said:
      I refuse to believe that.  

"

You shouldn't, cause it's not true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.