Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Which Call of Duty should I get?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Edited By audioBusting

Poll Which Call of Duty should I get? (152 votes)

Black Ops II 23%
    Ghost 1%
    Advanced Warfare 29%
    Black Ops III 12%
    None of the above 35%

I haven't played any Call of Duty since Modern Warfare 3, but I'm a little curious about the newer games. Since they're all on the Steam sales I thought I'd give one of them a shot. I don't really care for the multiplayer modes, mostly just the core single player campaign. I'm leaning towards trying out Black Ops III, but it sounds like people like Advanced Warfare more. Black Ops II is also available for pretty cheap. Or should I not bother and save my money? What do you all think?

(Edit: Just to clarify, I've played all of the games before MW3!)

• 
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Save your money and put it towards the new one because even if the new campaign is terrible, the remastered Modern Warfare campaign will still be great.

Or get MW and MW2 if they're available.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Never played Ghosts. Out of the rest, Black Ops 2 has the best campaign by far. AW next, and I had a surprisingly strong dislike for Black Ops 3's campaign.

Multiplayer would be BO3, BO2, Ghosts, AW. I genuinely ended up hating AW multiplayer.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Belegorm

Call of Duty 2

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the Black Ops 2 campaign, BO3 has some pretty amazing looking moments but I didn't give a single fuck about the story.

Buddy900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy the new one to get cod 4 then just throw the new one out

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audioBusting

Have they announced anything new in the upcoming Modern Warfare remake or is it just a graphics upgrade? I mean, I've already played it (and I don't care much for the multiplayer), so I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Infinite Warfare sounds cool and all, but I don't know if I want to spend $80 for those two later this year, rather than $20 to get Advanced Warfare or Black Ops III now.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Rebel_Scum

COD3, I don't care for your clarifying. It has the best COD multiplayer imo.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: I still remember playing that on the Wii...! Too bad it's never even on the PC.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By monkeyking1969

Just wait for the new one. but if you can't, then get Advanced Warfare, AW it the best one in a very long time.

Don't believe me? Fine....

CoD: Advanced Warfare is Big Jeffrey approved!
    CoD: Advanced Warfare is Big Jeffrey approved!
    Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops 2 is easily my favourite Call of Duty after Modern Warfare. Plenty of the guns feel viable, there's a boat load of attachments, the point system and wild cards allow for some pretty fun classes and the throwable C4 is an absolute blast to use. That said I can't vouch for how active or cheater-free it is since I play it on PS3, but Steam currently shows it as 83rd most played game, ahead of Killing Floor 2, Elite Dangerous and Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Cubidog1

Out of all those BO2 has the best campaign.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I've not sure any CoD since World at War the last WW2 one. But the new one seems cool. I like the new future direction.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

You can win using guns other than SMGs in Black Ops 3.

BO3 gets my vote.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't really recommend getting into any of them at this point in their lifetime as the online community is savage and you may not have any fun. Since you are interested in the single player, the best is easily Black Ops 2.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By n00bs7ay3r

Did literally no one read the OP? He doesn't care about multiplayer and yet just about every post in this thread is about multiplayer. If you are not going to answer his question then why post in this thread at all?

As for for COD story modes. I can't say I've ever been too into any of them. I played through MW 1 and 2 multiple times and enjoyed them well enough but after that I have struggled to even complete a campaign. Personally I would skip COD altogether if you have no interest in the MP. There are plenty of other games available right now for cheap.

todomachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Advanced Warfare is my favourite episode yet. I think it had a great and varied campaign with some good twists. But more importantly for me is the fact of how the exo suit advanced the game play of the serie forward. I had some really good fun with it.

BOII was interesting with some really good ideas like having choices in the campaign and good re playability.

Let us know what you have chosen.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I think World at War has the best CoD style campaign, so if you haven't played it, I'd go for that one. Otherwise BO2 is alright, but those strike missions suck.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rotnac

None of the above. The campaigns stopped being interesting after MW2 imo. Infinite Warfare looks real cool though.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hard to say - I play them all (eventually), and I find them to be fun dumb interactive popcorn movies. If you can find them for about $20 (which is the threshold I buy them at) I think they are all worthwhile for the single player alone (which is usually all I play). I'd have checked off an "all of the above" option.

Black Ops 2 has a great campaign that offers choices and multiple endings, but there are "strike missions" that are frankly a chore to play and have an effect on what ending you get. I also feel you will want to play Black Ops 1 in order to get the full story, if you have not already (Black Ops 1 is one of the better SP campaigns in my opinion, as well).

Ghosts is the initially weakest of the bunch but it really grew on me - I was extremely tepid on it in my first playthrough, but on my second playthrough I had a blast and I now consider it to be one of my dark horse favorites of the franchise. I'm bummed there will not be a continuation/resolution to the story now that Infinity Ward has moved on to space shooting.

Advanced Warfare is pretty good - the acting steps up in a big way and the movement choices added by the exo suits really does make things fresh.

Black Ops 3 - have not played this one yet.

Play em all if you can, and if you feel like it.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops 1 and 2 actually have decent enough stories. In Black Ops 3, everything goes strait off the cliff though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Humanity

@audiobusting Advanced Warfare has the best single player campaign to date and since you don't care about multiplayer at all that is your best bet especially since it's pretty cheap to get used these days.

It's either that or get the newest one in November, so depends on how bad your CoD itch is right now.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a PC get the original CoD. The only game out of the series that has any merit in my book.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@rich666: why would he buy the original when he not only has played it already, but the whole thread is about him asking for advice on which of the new ones he should try out because he hasn't played one since Modern Warfare 3 and wants to see what changed?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the input, everyone! I've re-watched the Quick Looks too, and I'm going to go with Advanced Warfare. Black Ops II sounds good, but I'm more curious about the new gameplay stuff. I might pick that one up later.

mcleangillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mcleangillo

Choose black ops III. But i think it depends to the person that will play it because my friend always telling me that he find it boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.