Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Capcom

Company »

Capcom is a well-known Japanese game developer and publisher, formerly known as Capsule Computing. They are responsible for such franchises as Mega Man, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter and Onimusha.

A defense of Capcom's gross buisness practices

SomeScrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SomeScrub

So one of the most maligned decisions of 2011 was to put out umvc3 a mere 9 months after it's vanilla counterpart. Which is a fast turnaround even by capcom standards. Myself personally I have spent over 120 dollars on the mvc3 brand, since I bought the vanilla, the guide, and then umvc3 oh and the dlc characters. And have every intention in the world of buying umvc3 for vita. But as shitty as spending 160 dollars on one game sounds in mine and many others opinions capcom delivered with umvc3. It is a categorically Superior game. And a lot of the reasons why are from lessons learned from vanilla. And while it sucks that I had to buy the same game twice effectively I'm likely going to play umvc3 for the next ten years, or whenever it is a new marvel comes out.

And if it had to take that much money to get one of my favorite games ever then so be it. It's not really any different from an mmo bilking money out of you monthly. Or if I just dropped two hundred on steel battalion. The only difference is I'm doing it in a few lump fees, that are now over. Is it ideal? No, of course not it totally sucks. And sfxt looks to be trying to eliminate this kind of thing. BUT as much as the business practice is gross it has yielded two of my favorite games ever sf4 and umvc3. That isn't to say they couldn't have been made another way, but if it took this much to get them done at all, whatever.

Also if you are one of the many people who seemingly purchased vanilla marvel didn't play it much with the intention of going back only to find now they have an outdated game. I feel for you that is a real bummer. But if you didn't sink enough time into a game 9 months after buying I don't feel like you have a lot of cause to be mad. Especially considering that is just always how fighting games are by there nature they change all the time.

SomeScrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SomeScrub

So one of the most maligned decisions of 2011 was to put out umvc3 a mere 9 months after it's vanilla counterpart. Which is a fast turnaround even by capcom standards. Myself personally I have spent over 120 dollars on the mvc3 brand, since I bought the vanilla, the guide, and then umvc3 oh and the dlc characters. And have every intention in the world of buying umvc3 for vita. But as shitty as spending 160 dollars on one game sounds in mine and many others opinions capcom delivered with umvc3. It is a categorically Superior game. And a lot of the reasons why are from lessons learned from vanilla. And while it sucks that I had to buy the same game twice effectively I'm likely going to play umvc3 for the next ten years, or whenever it is a new marvel comes out.

And if it had to take that much money to get one of my favorite games ever then so be it. It's not really any different from an mmo bilking money out of you monthly. Or if I just dropped two hundred on steel battalion. The only difference is I'm doing it in a few lump fees, that are now over. Is it ideal? No, of course not it totally sucks. And sfxt looks to be trying to eliminate this kind of thing. BUT as much as the business practice is gross it has yielded two of my favorite games ever sf4 and umvc3. That isn't to say they couldn't have been made another way, but if it took this much to get them done at all, whatever.

Also if you are one of the many people who seemingly purchased vanilla marvel didn't play it much with the intention of going back only to find now they have an outdated game. I feel for you that is a real bummer. But if you didn't sink enough time into a game 9 months after buying I don't feel like you have a lot of cause to be mad. Especially considering that is just always how fighting games are by there nature they change all the time.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Even if UMvC3 is superior, that doesn't excuse the act of releasing a new version of the same game 9 months later. Asking people to pay another $40 so they can actually play a fully featured version of a game they payed for 9 months ago is, in my view, a disgusting way of manipulating their biggest fans for profit. UMvC3 is a great game but it's forever stained by the fact that it makes it look like Capcom purposefully withheld content from the original release just to be greedy.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spartanlolz92

actually this is great for me this mean's whenever a capcom fighter comes out i just have to wait 7 months for a cheaper game with more characters in it

:P i can rip them off too

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

@SomeScrub: The problem is your attitude that there was no way to get Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 content without locking out the users from the vanilla game.

They could have patched it and released DLC characters. They had a way and they decided to get greedy with it. Yes UMvC3 is way better than MvC3....but there's nothing in there that merits a new disk release...

That just hurts the online community and splinters and angers people. Stop being a corporate stooge and ask for a little more class next time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.