Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cart Life

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Mar 18, 2013

A monochrome business/life simulator written and developed by Richard Hofmeier. The game focuses on the lives of street vendors in the western US.

Anybody else having trouble with the font size?

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#1  Edited By vigorousjammer

I've been playing the game, and sometimes the font size seems too big, and I've noticed that it occasionally runs over other text. (Specifically during the trivia questions.) 

I also don't have any clue where the time is, all I can see is the day of the week, and I'm guessing the time is hidden because the font is too big.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Are you running it in windowed mode? You know if you run the winsetup.exe file you can select to run at fullscreen, right?

This game is a bit lacking in technical polish. I've run into several gameplay bugs in the short time I've been messing around with the game, and the video options don't seem to really work correctly. I'm running fullscreen, with 2x nearest-neighbor filter, and "Force alternate letterbox resolution" selected. It stretches out the 4:3 image to 16:9, so everything is a little squished, but it's the only way I can get the text to a size where it's readable.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vigorousjammer

Yeah, I was also having trouble with the resolutions. I got it to run in 2x mode with widescreen, but even then, their definition of "widescreen" is 16:10... it doesn't work so great with my 16:9 monitor. 
    Turns out the time thing wasn't a font issue, however... but it was instead just because my guy didn't own a wristwatch. 

The trivia thing is definitely an issue with the font, though. As part of the answers are running over into other answers. 

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I haven't spent a ton of time with the game (just past Melanie's first court date), but I've already found myself pretty bummed out by some of the bugs. I also find some of the gameplay and user interface design choices a bit confusing. Maybe the developer is just trying to make my simulated life as a street vendor more stressful. However, I think it probably has more to do with the fact that this game was made by a guy with a wealth of brilliant concept but little or no technical skill.

This game really serves as a clear demonstration of the pros and cons that come with beginner game development tools. They're great because they allow someone with no programming knowledge to realize their vision for a game, but you're more often than not going to get a product that is compromised in some way.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vigorousjammer

I feel like the game would be a whole lot better if I didn't have to select menu items with a mouse. If everything just had a keyboard shortcut, it would make the whole thing more enjoyable. 

I actually haven't played Melanie at all yet, I've just been playing as the newspaper vendor guy.  It's interesting, because as the newspaper guy you get your stand right away and the drama doesn't come until a bit later into the game. 

I think the game is super interesting, but definitely flawed.  Here's hoping he continues to update and refine it.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mesoian

I'm having more consistent issues with crashes and such. The UI seems fairly stable though, though it's running windowed.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Free game lacks polish, more on this breaking story as it develops.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Kevin_Cogneto said:

Free game lacks polish, more on this breaking story as it develops.

I actually paid five dollars for it to get the soundtrack and the ability to play as Vinny, the homeless and caffeine-dependent bagel cart vendor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.