Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castle Wolfenstein

Franchise »

Not to be confused with id Software's first-person shooters, the original Castle Wolfenstein series first appeared on computers like the Apple II and Atari 400/800.

Mecha Hitler (Hopefully) Finally Coming to the Big Screen in Castle Wolfenstein Movie

• 67 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

We've had a lot of Hitlers in movies. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that there's been a Hitler for just about everyone's taste over the years. Angry Hitler, brooding Hitler, romantic Hitler, wacky Hitler, Hitler's ghost...yeah, we've pretty much covered the spectrum there. But what about those of us pining for a gigantic, mechanized Hitler with giant machine guns for arms? Where is our movie?

This movie pretty much writes itself.

Apparently, it's coming. Specifically, it's coming in the form of a film based on the Castle Wolfenstein video game franchise, courtesy of production Panorama Media, who have signed screenwriter Roger Avary to pen the script and direct.

If Avary's name sounds familiar, it's because he's dabbled in the world of video game adaptation before. Though he's likely most well-known in Hollywood for co-writing Quentin Tarantino'sPulp Fiction, and writing/directing the Bret Easton Ellis adaptation The Rules of Attraction, Avary also wrote the script for Christophe Gans' film version of Silent Hill. Most recently, he's been writing the TV series based on the comic book franchise XIII, which had its own game adaptation some years back.

Producer Samuel Hadida, who is credited with producing four of the five Resident Evil movies, as well as both Silent Hill films, is heading up the project on the production side.

The screenplay, per The Hollywood Reporter, "centers on a young U.S. Army captain and a British special agent on a top-secret mission to Castle Wolfenstein, where Hitler will be for the unveiling of a new secret weapon. After reaching the Castle, the heroes are confronted with Himmler's SS Paranormal Division and must fight, not only for their survival, but for a mission that could alter the course of the war."

My guess would be that the movie won't worry too much about trying to adhere to the game franchise's specifics, and more just use the idea of "creepy occult Nazis turning Hitler into a giant mech of doom" as an overall framework for an action movie. Which would be just fine by me, really. After all, who really cares about slavish attention to detail in the Castle Wolfenstein universe? Only two questions need be answered, really. Is Hitler in it? And is Hitler a mech? If the answer to both is yes, then things are officially on the right track.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

We've had a lot of Hitlers in movies. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that there's been a Hitler for just about everyone's taste over the years. Angry Hitler, brooding Hitler, romantic Hitler, wacky Hitler, Hitler's ghost...yeah, we've pretty much covered the spectrum there. But what about those of us pining for a gigantic, mechanized Hitler with giant machine guns for arms? Where is our movie?

Apparently, it's coming. Specifically, it's coming in the form of a film based on the Castle Wolfenstein video game franchise, courtesy of production Panorama Media, who have signed screenwriter Roger Avary to pen the script and direct.

If Avary's name sounds familiar, it's because he's dabbled in the world of video game adaptation before. Though he's likely most well-known in Hollywood for co-writing Quentin Tarantino'sPulp Fiction, and writing/directing the Bret Easton Ellis adaptation The Rules of Attraction, Avary also wrote the script for Christophe Gans' film version of Silent Hill. Most recently, he's been writing the TV series based on the comic book franchise XIII, which had its own game adaptation some years back.

Producer Samuel Hadida, who is credited with producing four of the five Resident Evil movies, as well as both Silent Hill films, is heading up the project on the production side.

The screenplay, per The Hollywood Reporter, "centers on a young U.S. Army captain and a British special agent on a top-secret mission to Castle Wolfenstein, where Hitler will be for the unveiling of a new secret weapon. After reaching the Castle, the heroes are confronted with Himmler's SS Paranormal Division and must fight, not only for their survival, but for a mission that could alter the course of the war."

My guess would be that the movie won't worry too much about trying to adhere to the game franchise's specifics, and more just use the idea of "creepy occult Nazis turning Hitler into a giant mech of doom" as an overall framework for an action movie. Which would be just fine by me, really. After all, who really cares about slavish attention to detail in the Castle Wolfenstein universe? Only two questions need be answered, really. Is Hitler in it? And is Hitler a mech? If the answer to both is yes, then things are officially on the right track.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By morningstar

So cool.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By papercut

suuuure

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Atwa

Who is gonna play him

kdrudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kdrudy

If it's ridiculous but entertaining I'm cool with it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

SPOILERS ALEX I STILL HAVEN'T BEAT WOLFENSTEIN

MonkeysDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MonkeysDad

Doom was an instant classic, how could this fail?

Oh, wait...

Citizengamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Citizengamer

Came here to see if anyone had posted this on the forums yet, but was glad to see Alex already on it with the news post.

As for the film premise ... well, it's Castle Wolfenstein. I'm sure there are screenplay writers who can still mess it up, but Avary seems like a solid choice.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#9  Edited By wumbo3000

NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By Little_Socrates

FUCK. Dude fell from aiding with Pulp Fiction to Rules of Attraction to Silent Hill? That's steep.

Here's hoping dude knows his way around the goofs on this one.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tsiro

I hope that at some point, the protagonist(s) is forced to go find a giant, chunky, "old-style" key to open a door to continue.

Anlino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Anlino

Hang on just a second. Castle Wolfenstein is not a first-person shooter, it's a stealth game from 1981. Is the movie based on the 1981 game or Wolfenstein 3D?

Korax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Korax

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (which is the particular license for this movie), along with the others running in id's Wolf3D franchise have pretty much nothing to do with the original Castle Wolfenstein franchise linked to in the article. You should know better than that, guys.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By AuthenticM

If Mecha Hitler is not in the film then fuck this.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Driam

That's great! I really liked the dozens of movies based on Metroid, Gears of war, Uncharted, World of warcraft, Asteroids, Spy hunter, Metal gear, God of war, Halo, Monkey island, Fallout, GTA and Castlevania, and am really looking forward to a wolf3d movie aslo never coming out or even getting into pre-pre-production!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kindgineer

I hope they just go all out insane with this and really just make an entertaining movie. The franchise doesn't need a "serious drama."

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By InternetDotCom

Hot off Iron Sky and Nazi's coming from the moon is the perfect time for Mecha Hitler.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By BlackLagoon

Obviously Hitler will be getting a genetically engineered mutant body instead of a mecha...

Nill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nill

I won't be satisfied unless the main character spends the whole movie humping walls searching for hidden bling.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20  Edited By chilipeppersman

yay

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By prestonhedges
    Only two questions need be answered, really. Is Hitler in it? And is Hitler a mech?

Why bother speculating? You've officially confirmed Mecha Hitler in the title of your article.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EuanDewar

Roger Avary is great cause he directed Rules of Attraction and Rules of Attraction is great because Theresa Wayman.

It all leads back to Warpaint.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

I hope and pray that this movie does not take itself seriously. Barring that, I hope it takes itself extremely seriously but still has Mecha-Hitler in it.

mikular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikular

I'm into this. Any man who even glanced at someone partially responsible for Pulp Fiction has my eternal respect.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By buft

you know when i saw abraham lincoln vampire hunter i was sceptical but it was entertaining enough, i'm imagining a similar level of absurdity and entertainment from this one too.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By csl316

Can't wait for the new generation of Hitler rant videos that this will inevitably spawn.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Phatmac

MECHA FURHER!

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By bed

i hope everybody in the movie double jumps like in enemy territory

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shaanyboi

How to do it right? A crazy beyond Inglorious Bastards.

How to do it wrong? ...well... almost any other way.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cybexx

That synopsis pretty much sounds like Wolfenstein if Wolfenstein was a co-op game. So that is something I guess, gives it a step up on other failed video game movies like Crazy Taxi and Asteroids.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By falling_fast

oh man, what if this movie actually looked like Wolfenstein 3d

GarethJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GarethJ

If its Mecha-Hitler you're after, then here you go: 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2130142/- Nazis at the Center of the Earth (2012)

No Caption Provided
    If you watch it, be prepared for plenty of B-Movie gore!
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By OldGuy

I'll be waiting for the scene where one of the heroes is almost dead and has to drink some blood off the floor to get enough strength to make it to the next medkit (which must have a big red cross on it)...

nERVEcenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nERVEcenter

Holy shit, this sounds so awesome in concept. Creepy paranormal occult experiments by the Nazis in big-screen form? There won't have been anything quite like it, and I hope they handle it well. With two protagonists, they have a chance to do something really special, and I hope they don't cheese it up with referential jabs and pandering.

Do what Return to Castle Wolfenstein was trying to do: Actually make a really creepy action-horror movie about two agents pressed for their lives in a crazy world of paranormal experimentation.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Sackmanjones

If try don't take it too seriously, I'm totally in for this movie. But as of right now the video game movies with the most potential are deus ex and assassins creed.

Mk by default will be awesome

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mnzy

Wait...I thought this was based off the original Castle Wolfenstein, not Return to Castle Wolfenstein!?

Juda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Juda

Not a mis-leading article headline whatsoever.

Nope. Not at all.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By tourgen

Alright, well why not I guess

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#39  Edited By Lazyaza

Article title a bit misleading there Mr Navarro. Mecha Hitler needs to be confirmed for this movie to be worth anyone's attention whatsoever and until he is confirmed my interest like with all game movies remains at zero.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Sequel to Inglorious Bastards

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By cornbredx

Its one of those games that should be easy to not fuck up an adaptation for, but knowing Hollywood they'll do something stupid. Although to be fair, despite some people's disdain for it, the first Silent Hill film is one of the better adaptations of a game to film (in my opinion of course- oh and i haven't seen the sequel, and I'm not speaking for that one) so who knows.  
    Maybe they'll do alright by it. Hopefully it's better then the Silent Hill film (which I still have problems with despite my previous statement and despite the fact that I still like it).

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By alex

Sorry guys, I think I got a little carried away with the headline title there. Changed it to make it less definitive, since we don't actually know if Mecha Hitler will be in the movie. Crossing my fingers, obviously.

Overbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Overbite

fuck hitler

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I don't understand how any of this is really new, unless there has been some recent development in the production. Roger Avery was talking about this movie like 6 or 7 years ago. But then, ya know, he went to jail before any of it could get off the ground. I can't seem to find any info that this film is actually back on track.

Anyway, I really do want to see this made, and with Adam Baldwin as BJ Blazkowicz!

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By delta_ass

Roger Avary... also known as that drunk driver who killed someone.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#46  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@Alex said:

Sorry guys, I think I got a little carried away with the headline title there. Changed it to make it less definitive, since we don't actually know if Mecha Hitler will be in the movie. Crossing my fingers, obviously.

It could be based on the two original Castle Wolfenstein adventure games, which I don't think had any mechs. But, yes, Mecha Hitler really should be in the movie.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By grilledcheez

Hopefully it actually comes out some day

Stubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Stubee

In a world where the Halo, Bioshock and Gears of War films never saw the light of day, i seriously doubt this one will.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Phished0ne

I liked the first silent hill, not sold on a movie adaptation of Wolf though...

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By MjHealy

I think I may know what the sequel may be called...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.