Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, a fantastic PS2 action game

mrhollender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By mrhollender
    mrhollender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mrhollender
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @mrhollender said:
    "You even have a bloody chain weapon!  It just so happens to be a crucifix, err I mean Combat Cross."
    I don't think that has so much to do with following God of War as it was with it being a Castlevania action game. They like their whip things, dude.
    DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DXmagma

i KNEW this was on ps2!

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By delusionaltool
    @mrhollender said:
    " If the new/first 3D Castlevania game, Lords of Shadow, had been released appropriately in the early to mid aughts, this review would be entirely different.  Graphically, the game looks good.  Not fantastic, but not chunky either.  Just pretty good.  You start out helping some villagers beat off a horde of Lycan wolf-man creatures, throwing you immediately into the action ala God of War.  Actually "ala" is too soft a word, more like "exactly as seen in" would be better.  If the Lycan's were skeleton/demon things, you would be Kratos.  You even have a bloody chain weapon!  It just so happens to be a crucifix, err I mean Combat Cross.    Most of the first chunk of this game consists of one extended QTE, broken up by small amounts of hacking smaller enemies.  The Quick Time Events, unlike in God of War 3, are somewhat varied, providing button-specific timed presses as well as any-button timed presses, but none of them are enjoyable.  Horse riding?  QTE.  Mid-sized wolf creatures, of which there are tons?  QTE.  Ice Colossus?  You get the picture.    Not to be picky, but the contact physics is also a bit on the sketchy side as well.  When you're running through a screen, Gabriel will be bumped high and low in a very rough--and to be truthful, last gen--manner.  Loading times are ridiculous, and it seems every few minutes the menu system is jumping in to disrupt any immersion you may have achieved.  Character models are cool, especially when you meet Pan, as well as the Ice Colossus.  However, the story wreaks of Lord of the Rings, right down to the Gandolfian narrator.    This game suffers from a duality of brand hype, and AAA title expectations.  By that I mean, if the name Castlevania was not on the box, this would be in the $29 bin at your local retailer within weeks (as it stands, this is still a possibility).  This is a very, very mediocre game.  This doesn't measure up to what a Konami-published major title, which made it pretty high on many a most-anticipated list.  It is a disappointing thing, but this game could have been amazing.  Should have been amazing.  But the gameplay is so dated, the interface won't relax enough to let you just play the game, the graphics are just ok, and the game just leaves you with a Dead Rising-esque "this is not fun, why am I still playing this?" vibe.  I mean, it's freakin Castlevania.  Why does it have to suck so much?   "

wow really?  you come on the castlevania forums on giant bomb to write this crass anal bitch fest of a review just to get peoples reactions mostly negative ones...this is a straight i want attention review where if its not his way its no way....you either like it or dont like it , we dont need a bitchy review to tell us you dont... you are part of the minority, the game is not as bad as you make it...This a lament of innocence on crack and ramped up and so far it works great...yeah its not your typical castlevania game but what is honestly? had they made a 2d/3d symphony of the night metroidvania type of game you would of still found something to bitch about....they are trying to get with the times this is a good start...
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Contradictions I see.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

I disagree entirely with every single word. 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jkz
    @mrhollender said:
    Most of the first chunk of this game consists of one extended QTE, broken up by small amounts of hacking smaller enemies.
    Really? So I take it you beat the first two levels in the first of twelve chapters then, correct? Because the QTEs aren't really all that present outside of those chapters, and when they are, they're generally over really quickly.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Why did you make this a forum post and not an actual review under the Castlevania user review thing. 

And secondly posting it in the forums makes it seem you are trying to push your views down our throats to either get attention or force us to agree with you. 

Finally do you hate Lord Of The Rings?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

Dude. It's Castlevania, he uses a whip. That was WAY before God of War's time.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yoctoyotta

One word. Onimusha.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @mrhollender said:
    "  However, the story wreaks of Lord of the Rings, right down to the Gandolfian narrator.   "
    WUT.  Which Lord of the Rings exactly and is a lead character in the story Gandolfian (what a retarded phrase) just because he speaks in English accent?

Your whole diatribe wreaks havoc on the English language and reeks of shitty logic.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Wow. Everything this guy said is just wrong. The game does not consist of mostly QTEs, the load times are not that frequent, it is nothing like Lord of the Rings, etc. I could keep going, but I suspect this is just a troll with too much time on his hands.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImpendingFoil

You have either not played this game or do not know the definition of a QTE.  I found your "review" to be insulting and everyone here is now dumber for reading it. 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @ImpendingFoil: A little Billy Madison at the end there?
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImpendingFoil
    @PrivateIronTFU:  Yeah.  I forgot how the line actually went and was too lazy to look it up.  Glad the point got conveyed though.
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ImpendingFoil
    @PrivateIronTFU:  Actually now I took the time to look it up and change the name.

mrhollender, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

So did you beat the actual game or are you just going off of what you saw from the demo and the quick look?

Give the game a little bit more of a chance. You still have a long ass way to go ie. better upgrades/moves. That kind of shit.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster
    @xyzygy said:
    " Dude. It's Castlevania, he uses a whip. That was WAY before God of War's time. "
    brutal_bisp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brutal_bisp

This guy is criticizing a Castlevania game for using a chain whip. Reason enough to ignore every word.

brutal_bisp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brutal_bisp
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " So did you beat the actual game or are you just going off of what you saw from the demo and the quick look?  Give the game a little bit more of a chance. You still have a long ass way to go ie. better upgrades/moves. That kind of shit. "
    I agree. I thought the games was a little slow through the beginning, but it really picks up after the Titan battles. I think the boss fights are pretty well done, and  the game is beautiful.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Jost1

hahaha the game looks "pretty good". Right. 

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Jost1

It's a fucking fantastic game.

theGrynch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By theGrynch

This is my first ever post on GiantBomb.com, and I can honestly say I'm so proud that it's to tell you, sir, that you are an idiot. 

As soon as I read "this game looks pretty good," I knew we were dealing with someone from the short bus. This game is awesome. Through and through. My only complaint is the limitation on the platforming and all the invisible walls.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yakov456

I'm going to have to disagree, as for the horrible load times you describe, I'm not seeing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.