Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Castlevania: Lord's of Shadow - Trailer & Images

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Hideo Kojima is leading this current gen Castlevania project 

Castlevania: Lord of Shadow images & video, taken from this years new Games Com 09 event in Germany:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Game looks good, and it's great to see Patrick Stewart doing some of the voice work. 
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

I'll wait for the review.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Luke

Man this game better be gewd, I swear!! 

I was very VERY disappointed with Lament of Innocence and  Curse of Darkness, which I bought both day 1. 

If Konami fools me again for the 3rd time, I'm gunna be super pissed.  I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise with Lords of Shadow.  

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

Anything better than IGA's last game [-Judgment] will be OK.

A few more images of concept art:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheFreeMan

Man, I think this game looks awesome. I was kind of surprised to see huge (but fast) explosions of blood when he killed enemies, but it is Castlevania, after all. Graphics look sweet (and the concept art of the damaged mask is awesomely creepy), and I'm liking the voice acting (Patrick Stewart? Wha!?) and the music so far. I'm not sold on the combat just yet. I'm hoping it's more like Ninja Gaiden and DMC than GoW. But still, looks great from what I've seen so far.

crystos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crystos

hopefully igarashi won't find away to hate on this game. since he struck out on all his 3dvanias.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

What I find weird is that IGA's only comment on this game was that it's "interesting". You'd think the guy who's been running the series for the last 12 years would have more to say about it... but he doesn't. 

To me, that's a bad sign(especially when coupled with the footage that has been shown).

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

It's good to see that Castlevania has gone back to it's more medievil style. The anime style has been getting on my nerves lately.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By VWGTI

This looks great! I can't wait!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icemael
    @SathingtonWaltz: So... the two games that had anime artwork have been getting on your nerves lately?
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By eirikr
    @Icemael said:
    " What I find weird is that IGA's only comment on this game was that it's "interesting". You'd think the guy who's been running the series for the last 12 years would have more to say about it... but he doesn't. 

To me, that's a bad sign(especially when coupled with the footage that has been shown). "
    If you mean in the sense that because the man with interesting ideas yet often poor implementation that has left Castlevania stagnating thinks the game with perhaps the biggest paradigm change since Symphony is interesting, no, I think that's just part of his bitterness rather than a cause for alarm.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
    @Eirikr:  Bitterness? He has no reason to be bitter. While his 3D Castlevanias have been lacking, the 2D games are all good. Some have been really good, some of them have just been pretty good, but none of them have been bad, or even mediocre. 

In a way, I think of this in the same way I would if Kojima barely commenting on a Metal Gear being developed by another studio. Of course, this isn't really the same, since IGA didn't create Castlevania and hasn't been running the series as long as Kojima has been running Metal Gear. However, 12 years is a pretty damn long time.

If I had been running a series for 12 years, I sure as hell would have more to say about it than "interesting", regardless of whether I was bitter or not. Unless, of course, I found the game to be lacking, which I suspect is the case here. From what I can tell, he actually meant "meh" when he said "interesting".
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eirikr
    @Icemael: I almost completely disagree. While I've greatly enjoyed almost all the Metroidvanias, the formula has absolutely gotten stale. I'm glad IGA has kept the series on life-support, but that's really all he was doing. I don't think he has the talent or ambition (or possibly even budget) to keep Castlevania anything but a well-liked niche series. He stuck to what he knew, and he couldn't even get that right all the time.

But Castlevania is too cool a concept to remain just for hardcore 2D platformer gamers. IGAs attempts to go beyond these ranged from mediocre to horrible, and even if they were executed well they would have never captured the full audience they deserved -- too much needless melodrama and anime storylines and a need to make exploration for exploration's sake.  Castlevania needs some fresh blood, some fresh ideas, no matter how different from the series' prior direction, no matter how much of a rip-off of something else it may seem. 

As a Castlevania fan from nearly day one, the last thing I want to see is the series die. IGA's vision of bad fighting games, poor yet too ambitious 3D games, and great yet samey niche 2D titles was the last thing the series needed to evolve. I don't care how long IGA has been "running" Castlevania, he's outlived his job. He made a few good games and was one of the first people to actually care about a Castlevania timeline, but the storyline is totally malleable. 

I don't think Lords of Shadow looks amazing or even good at this point, I'd need to see more. But I hope it's a splash of cold water on the face of a series that over the years was getting really, really tired. Kojima's name attached to the game will only get it more attention (and I doubt he had much more involvement than that) and man, a Castlevania game more people than series fans are looking forward to sure is refreshing.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Why would he not be bitter? He never got the budget Lords of Shadow will obviously have, as much as he'd have loved to, and wasn't given the chance to make the 2D home console Castlevania that he wanted, instead mostly working with tiny budgets for handhelds.

But no, considering the above, he didn't leave the series stagnating at all. Blame Konami, not Iga, he's worked wonders for the most part.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Icemael said:
    " @SathingtonWaltz: So... the two games that had anime artwork have been getting on your nerves lately? "

Yeah. Why?
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eirikr
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " But no, he didn't leave the series "stagnating" considering he was never allowed to do the 2D home console game he wanted, and was always given tiny budget to work with and make handheld games for the most part. Blame Konami, not Iga, he's worked wonders for the most part. "
    How would a Metroidvania on a home console have magically been so different from the rest of them?

And yes, the fault lies with Konami for not giving out a bigger budget, but I'm sure if IGA was creating games that sold more broadly, he'd have gotten successively bigger budgets. Then again, Castlevania sells like shit in Japan. So therefore, I blame Japan. That's always fun.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

Doesn't look at all like a Castlevania game. Looks like a GOW clone set in a universe that people who like GOW clones don't give a damn about. This game pools into the people who like God of War type games, Castlevania fans, and the people who lap up anything Kojima's involved with. That said, I don't think this game will be considered stellar by any of the above parties because there won't be enough of what drew them in. Its an odd hodgepodge for sure.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

That's dude's face doesn't look right in those first couple of images you posted :\.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Icemael
    @Eirikr: I certainly wouldn't say the series has stagnated. While the core mechanics have remained largely the same, each new game changes enough to feel fresh(at least in my experience). And that's exactly what I want from a sequel. Something that feels familiar and fresh at the same time.

Now, look at Lords of Shadow. There's barely anything familiar at all -- from the looks of it, it might as well be a God of War game. I love the Castlevania series because it's Castlevania. It has that Castlevania-ness that no other series has. If it loses what makes it Castlevania(and with that, the reason I love it), what's the point of even calling it Castlevania? 

In this specific case, the only reason seems to be sales. That is not a good reason.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By eroticfishcake

I heard Hideo Kojima was working on this one. Kinda reminds me of Prince of Persia in a way. Either way, I'll like to give it a shot. And with Patrick Stewart in it, who wouldn't?

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eirikr

@Icemael: But this won't be the first time the nature of Castlevania has changed. It used to be a plodding, precision action-platformer. Then it became a non-linear exploration-fest. Now it's going back to being more actiony. What's more Castlevania than whipping monsters to death? If you think Castlevania is all about gothic plotlines and 1999 battles, you're totally wrong.

Small tweaks and ability system variations can only keep things fresh so long. The series now is infamous for asset reuse -- many monsters have been the same since Rondo of Blood, and even Order of Ecclesia blatantly copied and pasted rooms left and right.

I won't defend Lords of Shadow from being a God of War clone -- it totally seems to be that way. But hey, God of War is just about whipping stuff to death, too. Why not just crib off of what they should have been doing in the first place? 

My argument is that having total creative control can be bad. Look at George Lucas and the Star Wars prequels. Or, Kojima and Metal Gear's storyline. IGA is in the same boat. Having a totally different set of minds working on something can provide feedback you wouldn't otherwise get. Castlevania 64 was ambitious, totally flawed, and worked on by a different dev team than IGA's crew. Yet somehow he chose to ignore its few strengths (such as level design) and provided Lament and Curse with lots of empty rooms with repetitive sets of enemies to  kill -- albeit with some decent combat. Where's the lesson there? It's always a give and take with this series nowadays. It never used to be like that when it was a more major franchise.

I don't hate IGA, but I think he's beyond his use by date at this point. Castlevania Rebirth is coming out, and he might have something to do with that, who knows. If he somehow manages one day both to make an HD Metroidvania and have it also be the second coming of Symphony/pick your Sorrow game I will be very surprised.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icemael
    @Eirikr: I know it isn't the first time the series has changed. But while Symphony of the Night was a drastic change, it still had the same... feel as the old game. That special Castlevania pace that is unique to the series. Even if there were huge differences, it was still Castlevania. Lords of Shadow, however, doesn't feel like Castlevania. It feels like something that isn't Castlevania at all, yet tries to be. It's hard to describe, but it just doesn't feel good

It looks like a great action game, I won't dispute that. But does it look like a great Castlevania game? No. Not at all.
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eirikr
    @Icemael: But you haven't even played it!
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Icemael
    @Eirikr: That's the vibe I'm getting from the footage. Footage can actually give you a pretty good idea of what a game is like(aside from the controls, obviously).

@SathingtonWaltz said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @SathingtonWaltz: So... the two games that had anime artwork have been getting on your nerves lately? "
    Yeah. Why? "
    The last game even swapped the anime crap for proper, beautiful, gothic artwork. And yet, the anime artwork in two games released years ago has been getting on your nerves lately?
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eirikr
    @Icemael: Not all the time, especially when we've seen as little of LoS as we have. A little more music, enemy types, level design, and characters would be good to see. 

And I agree that while Symphony of the Night still used a lot of the originals' design and style, that seems to be absent so far from what little we've seen of this game. Though if you no longer collect hearts to use subweapons I won't be too sad. The most important thing it has to do is provide a framework for Castlevania to work in 3D. Sweat the small stuff later.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZeroCast
    @Icemael: 

Sorry to tell you but no, your "vibe" can't tell you how the game will play until you have actually sat there and put your hands on it, the video is only telling you how the game will look like, that and your real experience with it are two totally different things.    
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Icemael
    @ZeroCast: No, they're not. The video tells me what the game looks like, sounds like and, to some extent, plays like. Of course I can't know exactly what the game is like(for example, videos tell me nothing about the controls), but gameplay videos are still enough to give me a good approximation. That's the bloody reason they release the things.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not to mention the complaint about asset reusing is going back to the lack of a budget for Iga's games. I'm sure the man would love the ability to have brand sparkling new content for each iteration, alas, that wasn't possible. Again, blame Konami.

Castlevania Rebirth has nothing to do with Iga and is probably even lower budget than his games. Look @ Contra Rebirth and expect that much. Fun and worthy games for what they are, but they can't compare to what you can do with a title aimed to be a full $60 retail effort.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eirikr
    @Al3xand3r said:

" Not to mention the complaint about asset reusing is going back to the lack of a budget for Iga's games. I'm sure the man would love the ability to have brand sparkling new content for each iteration, alas, that wasn't possible. Again, blame Konami.Castlevania Rebirth has nothing to do with Iga and is probably even lower budget than his games. Look @ Contra Rebirth and expect that much. Fun and worthy games for what they are, but they can't compare to what you can do with a title aimed to be a full $60 retail effort. "

But even Symphony of the Night reused assets from Rondo of Blood. I think that's the kind of stuff that would happen regardless. I'd hope drawing new maps and environments is higher priority, and that's where Symphony still succeeds so wildly. 

And the Rebirth stuff is just a very small rumor that IGA might be involved. I'd say probably not, but what else does he have to do besides cry in the corner while penning his lost 1999 masterpiece where Dracula was finally defeated by some Japanese Shinto priest? Yeah, I was reaaaaaaally looking forward to that one.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

And who tells you that SotN was so high budget itself? The industry wasn't exactly at the level where they regularly spent multiple millions of dollars for a single game at the time, and it was already shifting away from 2D gaming with the flashy 3D touted mostly by Sony and its suck ups. With a fitting budget they could also redraw everything if they wanted to reuse some enemies anyway. The pixel art seen in SotN has been surpassed by 2D games on the DS even nowadays (though the games tend to not be of the same scale at all), but you need money to do that. If Konami wanted they could have their talented artists work full time on a proper whole new 2D Castlevania game that would achieve the sweet graphical fidelity of Muramasa. But when all you're given is budget barely enough for incremental updates, then of course you can't do so.

And yes, with Kojima at the helm I'm sure the story of Lords of Shadow will be so much more serious and better than past CV games, which were obviously all totally about the storyline and that's why they all had 30 minute cut scenes for every 15 minutes of gameplay. Or maybe not.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Jeust
    @Icemael said:

" @Eirikr: I certainly wouldn't say the series has stagnated. While the core mechanics have remained largely the same, each new game changes enough to feel fresh(at least in my experience). And that's exactly what I want from a sequel. Something that feels familiar and fresh at the same time.

Now, look at Lords of Shadow. There's barely anything familiar at all -- from the looks of it, it might as well be a God of War game. I love the Castlevania series because it's Castlevania. It has that Castlevania-ness that no other series has. If it loses what makes it Castlevania(and with that, the reason I love it), what's the point of even calling it Castlevania? 

In this specific case, the only reason seems to be sales. That is not a good reason. "

@eroticfishcake said:

" I heard Hideo Kojima was working on this one. Kinda reminds me of Prince of Persia in a way. Either way, I'll like to give it a shot. And with Patrick Stewart in it, who wouldn't? "

The game really seems like a god-of-war-prince-of-persia-metal-gear-solid kind of game... but will it deliver?

I think that this one will probably a spin-off to test the ground for a new type of castlevania. 

And the character will be a one time apperance. Or will Kojima give it a saga treatment?
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By c1337us

It looks pretty good from those screens but based on old 3D efforts I am not holding my breath. This is going to be a definate wait for reviews and public opinion games for me. Until then I'll stick with the 2D games and not get burned.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By ImperiousRix

Goddamn, I cannot wait for this game.  Even if it's little more than a God of War clone in Castlevania trappings, I'd just love to see Castlevania get some major console releases.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I'm just happy to see a Belmont again.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not too bad though it doesn't have a very unique looking aesthetic or anything. Don't like the main character either. Hope it plays well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.