Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Criminally underlooked

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

I've played pretty much all the big titles of 2011 so I decided to go into my backlog. I chose a title that I actually received last Christmas in Lords of Shadow. Replaying the beginning which I previously played in the demo, I was beginning to question my decision. The first few chapters are just okay. Your abilities are quite limited and you have very little health. I should note I decided to start on Hard mode which had me screaming at my TV for the first few chapters due to constant deaths. But damn is this game great once you get into the meat of the game. I'm afraid a lot of people started this game and gave it up before it hit it's stride. I've heard the ending is utterly fantastic so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not sure it sold too well which is depressing. The visuals and art are stunning at points, and it really feels like people poured their heart and soul into making this a great game.

Anyone else played this lately?

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

I haven't played it lately, but I really, really enjoyed it when it came out. The game looked fantastic and the levels featured a ton of variety, the combat was really good and I generally like the story. As you said the ending is pretty spectacular and I can't wait to see what they do with the next one.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By kingzetta

yeah actually really good

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SlightConfuse

i have heard good things about it especially the story, i might pick it up over break

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Slaker117

I thought the visual design was great, and there were a few interesting puzzles, but overall the gameplay was pretty boring. I played through it and had a decent time, but it lacked that x factor for me.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

I can't get past the fact that it calls itself a Castlevania game, unfortunately. I've levied some pretty high expectations on that series, and a GOW-clone just doesn't cut it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

so I'm a criminal for underlooking it? oh nooooooooo

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Barrock

@Animasta said:

so I'm a criminal for underlooking it? oh nooooooooo

Yes! You should be locked up!

Beat it today. Damn that ending. So incredible.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree

That one area with the trees, blue water, sun seeping through, naked fairies, was ART.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By me3639

Game is awesome. One of my all time favorites.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

Played through it last year and loved it. Sure it has nothing to deal with the old Casltevania games and plays completely different from the others, but it was still fun. You really have to clear your mind of all things Castlevania before playing this game. If you have an open mind for something different, play this game, it's fantastic.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Nottle

I remember hearing about it some before it came out. But was worried because it was Mercury steam and Jericho was apparently poop. I played the demo and didn't care for it. I always thought less of it because it was not really a Castlevania game.

Recently I watched Penny Arcade the series and they seemed to like it and I thought, hey maybe I should give that game a chance. I downloaded the demo again and was quickly bored. There's more to the combat right? Everything about the combat just feels so light, its just off compared to Bayonetta or even God of War. To me it just seems mediocre and tedius, but as I've said I've played very little.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Barrock

@Nottle said:

I remember hearing about it some before it came out. But was worried because it was Mercury steam and Jericho was apparently poop. I played the demo and didn't care for it. I always thought less of it because it was not really a Castlevania game.

Recently I watched Penny Arcade the series and they seemed to like it and I thought, hey maybe I should give that game a chance. I downloaded the demo again and was quickly bored. There's more to the combat right? Everything about the combat just feels so light, its just off compared to Bayonetta or even God of War. To me it just seems mediocre and tedius, but as I've said I've played very little.

You unlock a ground pound type gauntlet, shadow magic which does more damage and gives you some special attacks, and light magic which regens your health with each hit and also adds light only moves. You get Daggers, Fairys, Holy Water, and a crystal that is basically a Final Fantasy summon that murders everything. There are a ton of combos you can purchase with XP.

I'm gonna be honest, the combat isn't the games strength. It does improve over the demo though. In fact, I was in the same boat as you in that I didn't enjoy the demo or the first few levels. But it improves and I really enjoyed the sights, the story, and some of the enemy and boss design.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Great game. slow start up.

Totally awesome though.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Hizang

I really enjoyed Castlevania Lament of Innocence, so I should probably get that game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy

I didn't find it was slow to start off at all. It ended up being my second favorite game of 2010, behind only Alan Wake. I seriously loved this game. The story was just so damn good and the music! 

I actually liked it more than Bayonetta. 

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zella

Loved it, only thing I didn't like was the dlc was kind of lackluster. Being a traditional Castlevania fan I didn't mind the switch of gameplay styles. Really looking forward to a sequel after that ending.

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

@MikkaQ said:

I can't get past the fact that it calls itself a Castlevania game, unfortunately. I've levied some pretty high expectations on that series, and a GOW-clone just doesn't cut it.

The main character brandishes a whip-like weapon, you battle bats, zombies, skeletons, make your way through a castle where you destroy candelabras, Dracula is in it. What more did you want from a Castlevania game?

It's really a shame that so many people played the demo and didn't give the full game a chance. The game just builds and builds to a spectacular ending, it's pretty great IMHO.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By jakob187

I played that game for damn near four or five hours. In that time, I never saw one castle or vampire. Instead, I found a druid or some shit like that.

A druid.

A...FUCKING...DRUID!

No. Fuck this game. Between the slow burn intro to get to some kind of fucking castle, the GoW-clone-ness of it, the stiff-as-hell animations, the shit voice acting, the lame ass story...

It was a mediocre game AT BEST...but I sold that fucker back for $3 of the $7 I paid for it.

@OllyOxenFree said:

That one area with the trees, blue water, sun seeping through, naked fairies, was ART.

I wanted to skullfuck the asshole that put that shit into this fucking game. When you say "Castlevania", I want a fucking castle...with fucking skeletons and vampires...and fucking werewolves...and I want to fucking murder them all. I don't want trees, blue water, sun seeping through, and naked fucking fairies. Keep that shit in Zelda.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By AngeTheDude

I just got this game with a gift card I received for Christmas. I liked the demo and just finished the first level. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of it turns out as a newer Castlevania fan.

Sprinkles169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sprinkles169

I pretty much made an account to point out that you are one hell of a shallow and simple minded person.

I for one fucking love this game. I played it over a year ago and still occasionally wonder when I will give it another play through. I just want it to be a perfect time with little interruptions. I would say it mainly has to do with the story. It has its slow points, but the ending completely blew me away. I compare it to the feeling I got when I first played Bioshock (before several more playthroughs) where it really makes me feel something.

People that credit GoW over this really get on my nerves. Firstly, GoW was not nearly first with the gameplay and the characters are shallow as shit. "I Kratos, me angry, kill all!" Honestly, I've played plenty from both series, and the only thing GoW might have over LoS is some of the visuals.

This game seriously needs (deserves) a stronger following. I however so often try to look up any info or activity. All I really find is these kinds of forums which are generally scarce. I really am trying to see a sequel here, the ending really opens up for something very interesting. I'm just gonna say that this game is a masterpiece! If you are a generally open minded person and like to think of gaming as more than just the gameplay itself, try it! It's practically 20 bucks new most places anymore.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By soldierg654342

@MikkaQ said:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, mostly. I wouldn't even say that I was disappointed in it being a GoW clone, just that it didn't really feel like it was part of the Castlevania series. Not just in format, but in style.

I seriously wonder how my opinion on the game would have differed had there been music loops for the areas instead of the cues for the generic grandiose music. Over half the reason I love Lament of Innocence is because of it's soundtrack.

I can respect Konami for being willing to take a risk make make some drastic changes to the series, though.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam

@jakob187: Too bad, you missed out on a great game because of your ignorance.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@CptBedlam said:

@jakob187: Too bad, you missed out on a great game because of your ignorance.

Too true.

Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rowen545

Just started this game, better than advertised. It's too bad that nerd rage can hurt titles like this. Yes it's a Castlevania game. Yes they tried something new. Don't worry they will still release 2D adventures ad nauseum.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By fini_fly

I bought it and beat it and loved the ending. It wasn't so much a Castlevania game as a God of War with a shiny fantasy coating on it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss

Castlevania is one of many games that I'd really like to get around to playing.

The demo looked and played fantastic.

El_Galant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By El_Galant

The game is my all time favorite, but the DLCs are not good...and it has sold well by now.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Freshbandito

The ending alone makes it worth playing if you ask me, it's soooo good and rewarding when it plays out and your mind puts it all together within the castlevania lore.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Morrow

@Barrock said:

I'm afraid a lot of people started this game and gave it up before it hit it's stride.

This.

Unfortunately, my motivation to get back to it isn't very great...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.