Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Finished Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

Man.  It's been a really long time since I've beaten a game.  Anyway, I got this game back in October.  It seems every fall, I get into a "Castlevania" type mood and get the new Castlevania.  First of all, while it was fun, and atmospheric, it didn't really seem like a "real" Castlevania game.  The score was a bit generic and I thought that the score was supposed to be remastered versions of the traditional themes--that's what was hinted at during early interviews for the game.  Unfortunately the score is just sort of a generic "fantasy" score.  While the music was decent, wasn't anything special and wasn't what you'd expect from a Castlevania game.  Another disappointing thing was that the game really had nothing to do with the older Castlevania's.  While the main character was a Belmont-this game has nothing to do with the timeline of the older series.  It's a bit sad because I really liked how Iga tried to make sense of the Castlevania timeline. 

Anyway, I really enjoyed this game despite it not being what I'd expected or wanted from a Castlevania game.  The graphics were great--the scenery was terrific.  The voice acting (mostly) was pretty good.  One thing though--the game was almost too long.  I was ready for this game to be over around chapter 6'ish but it just kept going and going.  I think having the chapter breaks really hurt the pacing of this game.  Whenever I passed a chapter I kind of felt like it'd be a good time to stop instead of urging me to go forward with the game.  If the game just sort of went on without the breaks, I think I would have finished the thing in a shorter time period.  

Anyway, fun game with great graphics, ok score that was well worth the experience.  I'm not sure if I'd buy a direct sequel to this game though.  Would rather have a more "traditional" Castlevania game using this engine.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JCGamer

Man.  It's been a really long time since I've beaten a game.  Anyway, I got this game back in October.  It seems every fall, I get into a "Castlevania" type mood and get the new Castlevania.  First of all, while it was fun, and atmospheric, it didn't really seem like a "real" Castlevania game.  The score was a bit generic and I thought that the score was supposed to be remastered versions of the traditional themes--that's what was hinted at during early interviews for the game.  Unfortunately the score is just sort of a generic "fantasy" score.  While the music was decent, wasn't anything special and wasn't what you'd expect from a Castlevania game.  Another disappointing thing was that the game really had nothing to do with the older Castlevania's.  While the main character was a Belmont-this game has nothing to do with the timeline of the older series.  It's a bit sad because I really liked how Iga tried to make sense of the Castlevania timeline. 

Anyway, I really enjoyed this game despite it not being what I'd expected or wanted from a Castlevania game.  The graphics were great--the scenery was terrific.  The voice acting (mostly) was pretty good.  One thing though--the game was almost too long.  I was ready for this game to be over around chapter 6'ish but it just kept going and going.  I think having the chapter breaks really hurt the pacing of this game.  Whenever I passed a chapter I kind of felt like it'd be a good time to stop instead of urging me to go forward with the game.  If the game just sort of went on without the breaks, I think I would have finished the thing in a shorter time period.  

Anyway, fun game with great graphics, ok score that was well worth the experience.  I'm not sure if I'd buy a direct sequel to this game though.  Would rather have a more "traditional" Castlevania game using this engine.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm playing through this right now.  I'm finding it extremely tedious and boring, but I'm told it will eventually get better so I'm trying to stick with it.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

I personally thought the combat was lets say...The fucking worst thing ever. Also that framerate was dire. But eh, if you liked it thats cool. Different strokes, different folks etc.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671
    @EuanDewar said:
    "
    I personally thought the combat was lets say...The fucking worst thing ever. Also that framerate was dire. But eh, if you liked it thats cool. Different strokes, different folks etc. "
    Yeah, I have to agree.  I literally just turned down the difficulty so I wouldn't have to deal with it as much.
    ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ObsideonDarman

You do know that this is a reboot of the franchise. I am kind of sickened by people calling this Game "not a true Castlevania Game" -- It isn't supposed to be because it's a reboot. 

Good mini-review though. I personally thought the Score was Great!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I loved the game, might have to give it up for Mass Effect 2 and rebuy it when it gets cheaper.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

This was my second favorite game to come out last year. Man I had a great time with this. What did you think of the ending, without giving away too much for those who haven't played it?

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By rjaylee
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " @EuanDewar said:
    "
    I personally thought the combat was lets say...The fucking worst thing ever. Also that framerate was dire. But eh, if you liked it thats cool. Different strokes, different folks etc. "
    Yeah, I have to agree.  I literally just turned down the difficulty so I wouldn't have to deal with it as much. "
    I thought the combat was fine, in fact I even thought it was pretty interesting and decent because you couldn't button mash with it. It didn't let you just endlessly dodge either, as you were not invincible when you dodged. You also had to properly balance your usage of your Light and Dark magics to keep your health high. Counter-attacking was also key in order to regenerate your magics, which of course would lead to giving you more Light magic to work with. I agree that maybe the game was borderline on too long for the main campaign (not even including the secondary challenges), and the framerate hits were annoying, but overall it's a decent enough character action game. 

Above all else, I really loved the twist at the end of the story and how they are handling that.

@ObsideonDarman:
    I know they called the game a reboot, but I'd like to believe that it's not a reboot actually. They haven't said they would be discontinuing the classic 2D style of Castlevania, so I would like to think of Lords of Shadow as an alternate universe or a self-contained story arc.
    ALMIGHTYCHEEKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ALMIGHTYCHEEKS

One of the worst games ive ever played. the camera is atrocious and i agree with it being way too long. its a 7 hr game stretched into 20. the boss fights also drag on and that music box level is one of the biggest piles of shit ive ever seen, and the unexplained ending was lazy and fucking horrendous

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JCGamer
    @xyzygy said:
    " This was my second favorite game to come out last year. Man I had a great time with this. What did you think of the ending, without giving away too much for those who haven't played it? "
    The pre credit ending was predictable, the post credit ending though was a nice twist.  Kind of reminded me of Interview with a Vampire and Dracula 2000.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy
    I seriously have no idea what anyone is talking about with these framerate problems. The game was absolutely fluid for me, with the exception of one part very early on - when Gabriel awoke from his first dream at the campfire, got up and looked around the tree for the noise he heard. For some reason as he stood up, the game horribly almost froze and then after that the game was beautifully smooth. Maybe you guys didn't have it installed?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @ObsideonDarman said:
    " You do know that this is a reboot of the franchise. I am kind of sickened by people calling this Game "not a true Castlevania Game" -- It isn't supposed to be because it's a reboot.  Good mini-review though. I personally thought the Score was Great! "
    And I'm sick of seeing game series get rebooted.  It's a terrible trend that developers are falling back on these days.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Enigma777

I thought the game was awesome. Especially the ending. 

Also I think it has some of the better boss battles in videogames (not to mention a hell of a lot of them).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @Enigma777 said:
    " I thought the game was awesome. Especially the ending.  Also I think it has some of the better boss battles in videogames (not to mention a hell of a lot of them). "
    I know, the Rock Titan you fight is better than any boss battle in Shadow of the Colossus! They do it so well.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Enigma777
    @xyzygy said:

" @Enigma777 said:

" I thought the game was awesome. Especially the ending.  Also I think it has some of the better boss battles in videogames (not to mention a hell of a lot of them). "
    I know, the Rock Titan you fight is better than any boss battle in Shadow of the Colossus! They do it so well. "
    Actually I could easily say that it was better than at least 5 of SOTC's bosses (the sand worm, the bison, the sand dragon, the hedgehog/turtle and the really small panther-like one).  

Anyways, the ones that really stood out to me were one-on-one duels (the Dark Knight, Satan, the Vampire Generals, Pan, etc).
    Avatar image for chickengeorgewashington
    chickengeorgewashington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel: It's just like Hollywood! There are limits to human creativity, and as we live in an era of inundation with media, it's all the more apparent.  

While I felt the game was technically well executed, it kind of fell flat on its face in many other respects to me. While the Titans seem to be popular around these parts, I really found shimmying around on them while occasionally holding the RT to be quite boring... the fights tried harder to look cool than to be actually interesting or fun to do. In fact, "trying harder to look cool than to actually be interesting or fun" was kind of a bigger issue in general with the game for me. But of course, that's just one chicken's opinion; everything is subjective anyway! 

I had bigger issues with the decline in to generic Tolkien-esque fantasy stuff near the beginning of the game after the relatively promising gothic-horror battle against the warg in the village. I love Tolkien and all, but Tolkien (and D&D) has really become a dead-weight to creativity in recent years; nobody is willing to do anything fantasy-related that isn't heavily derivative of it anymore. I would have much rather been fighting weak zombies in graveyards and werewolves in a dark pine forest resembling central Europe than fighting the goblin hordes in Anorien or the Buckland (your choice, ha ha) 

You know, I kind of feel like I came over too negative there... in truth I didn't really dislike the game, I had some fun with it. I just was disappointed with a lot of stuff in it, and for various reasons I can't honestly say I LIKED it either; I'm really kind of neutral toward the game. 
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us

I have been meaning to get this game for a while. I eventually will when the price drops a little, I don't want to pay full price for something getting such mixed reviews.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'm playing it right now and I must say I hate the camera.  I also hate the constant cutscenes.  I was almost ready to quit in chapter 2 but I stuck with it and currently in chapter 7.  It has gotten a bit better but I'm looking forward to when its done.  I would also say the new moves you can buy aren't very exciting or worth buying.  Wish I could just buy more health or even pots or such. 

Seems that the visuals range from good to great at times too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.