Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Let's talk about the ending. (MASSIVE spoilers, obviously)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I will take this time to be a smarmy jackass and say "I called it" to Gabriel Belmont being Dracula. My theory was confirmed when Gabriel's book entry said he was "rumoured" (and rumours in videogames are ALWAYS true) to be of the Cronqvist line. Mathias Cronqvist was a tactician in the original Castlevania timeline that was the best friend (almost brother, really) to Leon Belmont. Cronqvist used Belmont to become the ultimate source of evil, Dracula. 

Gotta say though, the Epilogue - I did NOT see coming. Total sequel bait, sure, but holy crap when I saw the modern city my eyes lit up. I couldn't help but think of the possibilities. Playing as Dracula, playing in a modern setting. Damn. This might be the single best direction Castlevania could go in. 

So uh, what do you guys think?

Avatar image for getbentthevideogame
    GetBentTheVideoGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I liked everything (a LOT) up until they flew out of the window. Now... hrmmm. The game was definitely at its best when it was in villages, churches and castles. I'd be happy to get another 15 hours of that. Not sure that I want to see Castlevania in a modern setting.

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JokerFrown

I think that the game had one of the best endings of the year.  Jaws dropped and mine blown.  I am really glad that they have chosen to take the series in this direction.  Instead of Dracula being some dude at the end of a castle that you fight, they managed to paint him in a very sympathetic light.  I feel sorry for the guy.  He lost everything.  He was nothing more then a puppet until the end of the game.  The only thing that I hope that they do in the sequel (obvious one is coming) is that they explain how Gabriel went from a warrior of God to becoming the "Prince of Darkness" and where he got the vampiric powers.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Dawn of Sorrow kind of had the same twist.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By luce
    @ryanwho: 

How so? 

Soma already knew he was just a vessel for Dracula to be re-incarnated with. He was basically fighting to stop that from happening.

In this game, Gabriel becomes Dracula. Like, the original one. Not a re-incarnation.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

I'm just disappointed I was never able to fight Dracula.  I wanted a Castlevania 2 style buildup before the last battle, maybe some awesome music, maybe a little SOTN-style talk with Drac...

I don't like the modern times setting for a sequel because we have too damn many of those.  They should have to call the sequel Kid Dracula 2 if they're gonna have us play as Dracula...

But I have to admit I enjoyed the idea of fighting Satan, I felt for decades that games should just let you fight the Devil.  He's a good enemy.  It would have been even fine if they had you fight Dracula THEN the Devil, but no Dracula at all made me sad.

Avatar image for getbentthevideogame
    GetBentTheVideoGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Diamond said:

" I'm just disappointed I was never able to fight Dracula.  I wanted a Castlevania 2 style buildup before the last battle, maybe some awesome music, maybe a little SOTN-style talk with Drac...  I don't like the modern times setting for a sequel because we have too damn many of those.  They should have to call the sequel Kid Dracula 2 if they're gonna have us play as Dracula...  But I have to admit I enjoyed the idea of fighting Satan, I felt for decades that games should just let you fight the Devil.  He's a good enemy.  It would have been even fine if they had you fight Dracula THEN the Devil, but no Dracula at all made me sad. "

Well, it would've been a great opportunity to set up the sequel, where you're an ACTUAL Belmont (Simon?) and you're fighting against Dracula. There would be this great connection of having played as Dracula in the first game and he'd be a great villain because we have all this understanding about his motivation. Instead, the ending made it seem like you'd be playing as Dracula fighting Satan in a modern setting. Lame.
    Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Espada12

The only thing I hated was that death wasn't a fight... I mean come on he's like a signature boss! And that satan didn't transform into anything cooler to fight (like the first two lords of shadow)... however I'll assume a couple things here. 

1. God made him a vampire to repent for his sins.. or he was turned somewhere along the line (maybe through the corruption of the shadow magic via prolonged use.. If you read the scrolls they talk of shadow magic corrupting.)

2. Satan underestimated zobek and since he was the master of death it's highly likely he could cheat his own 

3. The next chapter in the story is going to help us understand the relationship between Death and Dracula unlike in the other castlevanias where it seems death is just dracula's pet. Both of them uniting to defeat satan it sounds reasonable.   

4. I could see us playing another protagonist after the sequel of this one! I can't wait!!!

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Legxend

Well at the end the death mask is clearly seen so im guessing that could be the reason he turned in Dracula, although i was thinking seeing as the other lords of shadow were  created through in part of the bortherhood and left the darksides behind when going to heaven Gabriel could of done the same to be with his wife and Dracula was born. 

The ending location has me thinking though he was said to be like a tomb so it seems like something worse happened to Gabriel, i think if they do a sequel it will be to answer the questions of what happened to Gabriel im also wondering if they will bring back Alucard.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Espada12
    @Legxend: I was thinking that as well, but I was skeptical for some reasons. The main one being that Gabriel as dracula wants to die. The only reason Gabriel wanted to die in the first place was to be with his wife, so the idea of his good side ascending and the dark side wanting to ascend as well makes no sense to me. I still think prolonged use of shadow magic, mixed with the anger and frustration of him being granted a second life turned him into dracula. 
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I'm hoping this leads into the awesome battle they kept talking about back in Aria of Sorrow, where Julius Belmont gets backed up by the friggin' army to lay siege to Dracula's castle in 1999, killing him off and letting him be reincarnated as Soma.

Legxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Legxend
    @Make_Me_Mad said:
    " I'm hoping this leads into the awesome battle they kept talking about back in Aria of Sorrow, where Julius Belmont gets backed up by the friggin' army to lay siege to Dracula's castle in 1999, killing him off and letting him be reincarnated as Soma. "
    Doubtful this game is a total reboot of the franchise so everything that happened before is out the window
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @Legxend:
    ...Oh, really?  Wow, screw this game, then.

Edit. So angry.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By Jost1

Well first of all, I LOVED the ending. Totally crazy. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you played as another Belmont in the next game, against both Satan and Dracula

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been awhile since I was as flabbergasted by a game as the ending here. Loved it.
    For as talky as it was, I absolutely loved all the exposition and story from the final battle and onward. 
    Patrick Stewart was killing it with his whole Bond villain speech right before Satan showed up. 

This alternate Castlevania universe has really captured my imagination now. 
    Though with all the throwbacks to Cronquist, I wonder if they'll set a specific moment where it splits from the original timeline. 

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Just finished it not five minutes ago. The ending completely took me by surprise and now am even more interesting in this new retelling of the story. I would love to see how Gabriel became the dude, but I kinda figure just like the other brotherhood dudes, he was the shell of corruption and all that which was left behind when Gabriel's spirit dipped up to heaven. However, that whole saying he can't die but can't live either makes me think that he is still very much Gabriel, but something went awry after Lords of Shadow. The god mask could be some bad news, or he just became consumed by its absolute power.

Bring on the next one!

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Jost1
    @TeflonBilly said:
    " It's been awhile since I was as flabbergasted by a game as the ending here. Loved it.For as talky as it was, I absolutely loved all the exposition and story from the final battle and onward. Patrick Stewart was killing it with his whole Bond villain speech right before Satan showed up.  This alternate Castlevania universe has really captured my imagination now. Though with all the throwbacks to Cronquist, I wonder if they'll set a specific moment where it splits from the original timeline.  "
    Good question. Whatever happens, I'm along for the ride. What a fucking awesome twist.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By rjaylee
    @KingWilly said:

" I will take this time to be a smarmy jackass and say "I called it" to Gabriel Belmont being Dracula. My theory was confirmed when Gabriel's book entry said he was "rumoured" (and rumours in videogames are ALWAYS true) to be of the Cronqvist line. Mathias Cronqvist was a tactician in the original Castlevania timeline that was the best friend (almost brother, really) to Leon Belmont. Cronqvist used Belmont to become the ultimate source of evil, Dracula.  Gotta say though, the Epilogue - I did NOT see coming. Total sequel bait, sure, but holy crap when I saw the modern city my eyes lit up. I couldn't help but think of the possibilities. Playing as Dracula, playing in a modern setting. Damn. This might be the single best direction Castlevania could go in.  So uh, what do you guys think? "

I'm not sure where you got the link to Leon Belmont or that information about the Cronqvists. But regardless of that, I had a pretty good feeling that Gabriel himself would have at the very least some sort of shadowy past, and I had pegged him with the thought that he was Dracula or at the least Dracula's child or some evil entity after reading his character biography in his book/menu when it couldn't fully detail who his parents were or what his past was specifically.

To be fair, I only had these sentiments near the beginning of the game, and as the game got near the end, those sentiments went away. But when Zobek was betrayed, I actually thought it was Dracula speaking and then betraying him, not Satan. So was anyone else thrown off by Satan's involvement in the storyline? I didn't really understand how he just jumped in out of left-field at the end, unless I missed a key bit of text or storyline somewhere.

On the note of it turning to a present-day setting, I don't mind it too much, I don't think. I'd like to speculate that if that was the case, that it won't be a world traversal with modern-day environments, but more of the approach of the present-day setting Castevanias on the GBA and DS where Dracula's Castle would emerge in the modern-day. So on the positive note of that, we'd see basically those classic environments found inside Dracula's Castle again. But as a negative con, we'd probably miss out on a lot of those really great looking outdoor scenes that this game presented. Either way, I'm curious to know where this game will go in terms of balancing new and original canon with fan service for the hardcore fans. On top of that, I'm also curious to know if they still have plans to release more sidescrollers/SOTN rehashes for those diehard fans as well. I'm not just quite sure if they can maintain a two games in a single franchise like that, but hey, who knows.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By JJOR64

Just beat the game and my mind is blown.  I can't wait to see what happens next in this story.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By yyZiggurat
    I loved seeing Slogra among the ruble in the last scene and I'm looking forward to more Patrick Stewart and Robert Carlyle in the sequel.  The guy who voiced Satan was good too.

@heatDrive88 said:
    " I'm not sure where you got the link to Leon Belmont or that information about the Cronqvists. But regardless of that, I had a pretty good feeling that Gabriel himself would have at the very least some sort of shadowy past, and I had pegged him with the thought that he was Dracula or at the least Dracula's child or some evil entity after reading his character biography in his book/menu when it couldn't fully detail who his parents were or what his past was specifically.  To be fair, I only had these sentiments near the beginning of the game, and as the game got near the end, those sentiments went away. But when Zobek was betrayed, I actually thought it was Dracula speaking and then betraying him, not Satan. So was anyone else thrown off by Satan's involvement in the storyline? I didn't really understand how he just jumped in out of left-field at the end, unless I missed a key bit of text or storyline somewhere.  On the note of it turning to a present-day setting, I don't mind it too much, I don't think. I'd like to speculate that if that was the case, that it won't be a world traversal with modern-day environments, but more of the approach of the present-day setting Castevanias on the GBA and DS where Dracula's Castle would emerge in the modern-day. So on the positive note of that, we'd see basically those classic environments found inside Dracula's Castle again. But as a negative con, we'd probably miss out on a lot of those really great looking outdoor scenes that this game presented. Either way, I'm curious to know where this game will go in terms of balancing new and original canon with fan service for the hardcore fans. On top of that, I'm also curious to know if they still have plans to release more sidescrollers/SOTN rehashes for those diehard fans as well. I'm not just quite sure if they can maintain a two games in a single franchise like that, but hey, who knows. "
    I totally thought it was Dracula too and was surprised when I read his Character Bio.  But it makes sense in retrospect since the game really anchors itself in Judeo-Christian mythology.  Camilla's castle sounds a lot like Dracula's castle if you read the Brotherhood scrolls, it mentions the mansion being cursed and how no one could ever map it because it constantly changes.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HomemadeZiggurat said:
    " I loved seeing Slogra among the ruble in the last scene and I'm looking forward to more Patrick Stewart and Robert Carlyle in the sequel.  The guy who voiced Satan was good too."
    Sir Patrick could get a little hokey at times (But as I stated, I absolutely loved his endgame. From the enunciation to the mannerisms of his character.) , but Carlyle and Isaacs were really great. 
    I just love Carlyle's "L's"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.