Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

Should I buy this game?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

For this year so far, I have all the games I want to get, and right now is more like down time to either play games I never played, or replay games I haven't played enough of. Should this be a game I should buy? I'm interested. How was this game to you?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By jacksukeru

A sequel has already been confirmed.

Personally, I don't even know anymore. The game has some pretty cool stuff in it but also many annoying faults that I have a hard time looking past.

I can say that turning damage numbers and lifebars ON for enemies helped with my enjoyment of the game, so if you do get it you might wanna try that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I thought it was great, and if you like God of War style third person "slash'em'up" games, then you'll like this one. I'd recommend playing it.  

Also, Patrick Stewart. 

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By Danteveli

No dont buy it

i was hyped about it and when finaly I returned to my console after my scholarship I played it. Its not bad but a but boring with many elements and it didnt click with me.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Heltom92

I loved this game so I would say get it for sure. The story, music and graphics are all amazing and the combat is good as well. There are some annoying faults such as the fixed camera not always showing everything it needs to. Don't get the DLC though whatever you do.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By me3639

Yes. The game has everything. So what if its not old school 2D, and the combat is a God of War copy, the game is simply awesome. I'm glad to hear they are doing a sequel.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

According to a buddy "GET IT, TELL YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR MOM TO GET IT"

Me? I haven't played it, I guess it looks cool.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

@NTM: That's a really strange thing to edit out and then claim no knowledge of, especially since everyone can see that you edited your post after I posted mine. Oh well.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Yanngc33
    @NTM YES BUY THIS GAME!!!! It's ridiculously epic, has fun easy gameplay, has one of the most ridiculous endings ever and is narrated by patrick stewart and gabriel is voiced by the bad guy in the world is no enough
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlashDance

Don't expect big set pieces every 5 minutes, it's a very slow paced game but it has a lot of atmosphere, great music and pretty good gameplay. I say buy it. And no, it's not a God of War rip-off. God of War did not invent anything. It refined the genre but did not come up with it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

Aside from the things people already mentioned, it's real good value for money the SP is much longer compared to the games of the same style.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

I loved it. It's highly underappreciated. So yes, buy it and don't let the first two chapters fool you, the game gets a lot better after this (not that the beginning isn't good, just not very Castlevania-ish). The thing that is kinda lame about the game are the two titans in the first two chapters... they play like a cheap SotC copy.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Get the demo.

It's a great game if you're into it, the gfx are great, the story is pretty magical and the enviroments are pure eyesex. 
    Combat's good also, pretty challenging.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust

I've seen a playthrough of this game, and i thought it was epic, and awesome. The game seems very lengthy.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By JJOR64

If you don't mind God of War clones, give it a shot. Played it when it first came out and I loved it.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By soldierg654342

It's worth the price of admission alone to hear Patrick Stewart say "Baba Yaga." Don't go into expecting more than a cursory connection to the Castlevania series though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

@SoldierG654342: I had heard it was a retcon of the originals, so whatever exist in Lords of Shadow, doesn't exist in the originals universe. I'm fine with that.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

@SoldierG654342 said:

Don't go into expecting more than a cursory connection to the Castlevania series though.

I found it to be a better and "truer" Castlevania than the recent 2D entries on the DS. Those games have become way too carried away with their Anime stuff.

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By zonikjj

No

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By JJOR64

Just noticed this is an old thread.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@JJOR64: It's fine. I'm the one who bumped it. I didn't need to, and my intention wasn't to get other people's attention with the topic, but it's still fine because I haven't yet played it. I want to though. If anyone wants to talk about it without spoiling anything, that's completely fine. Plus, I'm sure the game probably deserves a sequel, so why not get people's minds on it?

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By soldierg654342

@CptBedlam said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

Don't go into expecting more than a cursory connection to the Castlevania series though.

I found it to be a better and "truer" Castlevania than the recent 2D entries on the DS. Those games have become way too carried away with their Anime stuff.

I suppose that's fair enough. I actually didn't play any of the Gameboy games outside of Aria of Sorrow so my frame of reference isn't exactly up to date. I was mostly just disappointed that:

Death was ripped from Shadow of the Colossus and the final boss was chocking out Satan and not fighting Dracula.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CptBedlam

@ZOnikJJ: Says the guy who didn't play it. This game is awesome.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wjb

I felt it was too long for my tastes and also derivative. The Shadow of the Colossus sequences felt very bare bones and the rest of the boss fights were "fight this dude in a circle arena/room". And from what I remember, the opening Patrick Stewart monologues didn't necessary translate into the actual game. Maybe I'm wrong, but as an example, the main character was supposed to be exhausted and on the verge of madness from the long journey and what he had to go through, but the dude still looked like he did at the beginning. My only regret was I wish I played it on the PS3, because going back to get items from earlier in the game that you couldn't get before became a hassle since you had to switch discs every single time.

On the other hand, I loved the different environments and how they looked, and I managed to beat it in two days, so I must've enjoyed it a lot more than I did. Plus the ending and the reveal was pretty neat.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrcraggle

I'd say, fuck this game. The combat is fun but nothing really original and the story is garbage and predictable at the end (although the ending after the ending you think is the ending is pretty cool).

I really wanted to like this game but there is just so much jank it just becomes very frustrating. The actual platforming is awkward and there are many parts where it looks like you can jump over a tiny wall but the game with just put up an invisible wall so you fall to your death. And as with most modern video games it has tutorials that just cut right into the actual pausing what you were currently doing yet when you learn a new power you need to look that up yourself and it has QTEs by the arseload.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By stryker1121

@NTM: I say go for it, especially at the price you're likely to get it at. The game had a few things that bugged me - too many long, grindy boss fights and having to replay levels to get power-ups. There's a fair amount of padding toward the end of the game as well. However, the combat is fun and fluid, particularly when you get light/dark magic powers going. The art direction is gorgeous, and hey, Patrick Stewart. Plus a pretty cool set-up for a sequel.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@stryker1121: Does Patrick Stewart's character ever say "Make it so." or "Engage!"

Kidding.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By AngeTheDude

This game is a great deal now. It's dirt cheap considering how much gameplay is contained within. I'm just pacing myself right now so I don't get fed up with it. I'm at chapter 5 and I'm enjoying myself so far.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TentPole

Fantastic game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By xyzygy

It looks like you still mightn't have picked this game up, so like basically everyone else is saying, get it. Everything about this game just screams quality, especially the story. Especially if you've managed to get into the game without knowing any of the spoilers. Just don't watch the LoS 2 trailer.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By chilipeppersman

@Danteveli: same thing happened to me too dude....I was pretty stoked for this game based on people saying its overlooked, but damn. Im having a real hard time sinking my teeth into this game, every time I am about to get into the "zone" it seems like something in LoS diverts me or sets me off track.....its a very repetitive game with amazing visuals. Im debating with myself If I should finish it or not, its starting to feel like a grind, and im only near the end of chapter II.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.