Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 20, 1997

Dracula's castle has risen from the mist and the Belmont heir is missing! The open-ended gameplay mixed with RPG mechanics in this installment of Castlevania platformers set the template for later games in the series (coining the term "Metroidvania").

Why is this game so good?

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dpedal1

I downloaded this game because of all the praise.  I am playing it on my PSP and for some reason cannot figure out why it is so great.  I get lost all the time and then when I look up a FAQ I am ALWAYS going in the complete opposite direction in order to progress.  I really want to like this game, anyone have any insights that will help me appreciate this game more and help in my understanding in how to progress? 

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By kevinski

I admit that the game can - to be extent - be a bit obscure in parts. Thing is, you shouldn't ruin the game by using an FAQ at first. I suppose that reading the manual would be a good idea, though, as I seem to recall that the in-game instructions for using certain items are either absent or unclear. I don't know how much help you really want, and I don't want to spoil anything unnecessarily for you. As such, I'll give you a few basic tips on progression.

1) You can open blue doors by purchasing the Jewel of Open from the Master Librarian. (It might go by a different name in the PSP version.)

2) If you can't get through an area because of spikes, then you should find a way to break them. That "way" of breaking them will come when you're able to fly and see in the dark.

3) Just when you think you're at the end, you're really only at the midpoint.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Exploring the castle and getting lost is part of the fun of the game. If that's a turnoff this might not be the game for you.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SolemnOaf

I thought SOTN's only redeeming features were it's fluid controls and excellent music.  Other than that, the level design is confusing, illogical, and just downright bad.  I eventually gave up on finishing it, even with a FAQ.  Oddly enough, when I was younger my fondest memories of playing a Castlevania game come from Castevania II: Simon's Quest.  I'm sure the more reasonable among you have already decided now that my opinion is worthless, so i'll just stop writing this.
    kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By kevinski
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " Exploring the castle and getting lost is part of the fun of the game. If that's a turnoff this might not be the game for you. "
    It's hard to say if I'm just so well conditioned to this style of game play or what, but I find newer SotN-style Castlevania games to be pretty easy to get around in. Or maybe I just have a good idea as to when to come back to certain areas, since it's pretty much inevitable that you get most of the same abilities from game to game.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By trophyhunter

same reason halo 1 and gta 3 are so good

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dpedal1

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I will say I am not enjoying spending an hour of gameplay wondering around the castle and seeing no progression, maybe it really isn't the game for me.  I will say I am glad to hear that I am not alone in not really enjoying the game - SolemnOaf.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By apathylad

It's kinda like Metroid, in that you start out pretty weak, but by exploring you gain new abilities and become stronger.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, chuck out that FAQ. The exploration aspect is my fave part in these games.

Fascismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Fascismo

I got the XBLA version and I'm currently playing through it for the first time. I was super frustrated for the first few hours because I didn't know about the map button. Once I was able to see which areas I hadn't been to yet and how to get to them, it was a thousand times more satisfying to roam around the castle. Knowing where the save rooms were at all times didn't hurt either.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11  Edited By Symphony
    @SolemnOaf said:
    " I thought SOTN's only redeeming features were it's fluid controls and excellent music.  Other than that, the level design is confusing, illogical, and just downright bad.  I eventually gave up on finishing it, even with a FAQ.  Oddly enough, when I was younger my fondest memories of playing a Castlevania game come from Castevania II: Simon's Quest.  I'm sure the more reasonable among you have already decided now that my opinion is worthless, so i'll just stop writing this. "
    I can understand the Simon's Quest sentiment. I enjoyed it as well and it's a shame the internet basically hates that game thanks to AVGN. Sure it could be confusing as hell, but that's what Nintendo Power was for. Those sneaky marketing bastards!
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By schizogony

Flying books.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Symphony:
    It's a terrible night to have a curse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.