Castlevania: Harmony of Despair ?

Avatar image for linkyshinks
#1 Posted by Linkyshinks (11400 posts) -
Avatar image for jeust
#2 Posted by Jeust (11739 posts) -

That is promising... thanks for the news!

Avatar image for elazul
#3 Posted by Elazul (1351 posts) -

Oh boy, a possible sequel to the worst friggin' Castlevania game I've ever played!
 
Ah, whatever, this is still great news. I'll pretty much take my "Metroidvania" any way I can get it.

Avatar image for nintendoeats
#4 Posted by nintendoeats (6223 posts) -

Castlevania HD?
 
Score!

Avatar image for agentj
#5 Posted by AgentJ (8995 posts) -

Bout time. I'm starting to go through Castlevania withdrawal. 
@nintendoeats said:

" Castlevania HD? Score! "

-_- I see what you did there...
Avatar image for cptbedlam
#6 Edited by CptBedlam (4515 posts) -

Another DS game? 
 
I'd rather have another 2D Castlevanie for HD consoles. They could sell it via XBLA and PSN.

Avatar image for icemael
#7 Posted by Icemael (6864 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:
" Castlevania HD? Score! "
You know what? That's a possibility. A very, very farfetched possibility... but also an awesome possibility. 
 
Either way, great news. I've been starving for some side-scrolling Castlevania goodness; especially after seeing footage and screenshots of Lords of Shadow, which looks like Prince of Persian War: The Colossal God's Shadow: Slightly Gothic Edition.
Avatar image for nintendoeats
#8 Posted by nintendoeats (6223 posts) -
@Icemael: Well, remember how the first DS game was called "Dawn of Sorrow?" Could be the same thing...
Avatar image for romination
#9 Posted by Romination (2831 posts) -

Yeah, but does anyone remember Harmony of Dissonance? (Well..I did, and so did you, so that answer that...) I just remember getting very stuck and giving up.

Avatar image for evoxpisces1
#10 Posted by evoxpisces1 (12 posts) -

Why am I the only one who loved Harmony of Dissonance???? I am THRILLED about this news!!!

Avatar image for mrklorox
#11 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

I enjoyed HoD more than the Sorrow games, but not as much as SOTN. We'll have to see. Watch after this comes out they'll do the crossover story Harmony of Sorrow.
 
I wonder how difficult it would be to turn monoscopic NDS games into stereoscopic 3DS games. I mean Sony has a patented method for doing that to older PS1/PS2 games, right? And doesn't Nvidia have something similar for PC games?
 
Castlevania would make a cool game in 3D due to the polygonal backgrounds. Also imagine the boss fights and effects.

Avatar image for hailinel
#12 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

Well, we are about due for another DS Castlevania game, if it is indeed coming to that platform.  Regardless of the quality of Harmony of Dissonance, the quality of the last game, Order of Ecclesia, keeps me hopeful that the next 2D Castlevania to come along will be a fun game.

Avatar image for beachthunder
#13 Posted by BeachThunder (14709 posts) -

That would be awesome if it's another DS game. Of course I still need to play DoS and OoE. But PoR was great. I wonder if this will actually be a 3DS game.

Avatar image for evoxpisces1
#14 Posted by evoxpisces1 (12 posts) -
OoE was amazing, PoR is decent too. I have not played the Sorrow games, for some reason they don't seem to interest me. But I'll give them a shot one day. HoD is my favorite and I'd be blissful if they made a DS sequel for it!
Avatar image for redemption
#15 Edited by Galamoth (174 posts) -

No Caption Provided
Now the rumor is that it's a 6-player XBLM game, in a Metroidvania style adventure... 
 
Weird.
Avatar image for agentj
#16 Posted by AgentJ (8995 posts) -
@Galamoth said:
"
No Caption Provided
Now the rumor is that it's a 6-player XBLA game, in a Metroidvania style adventure...  Weird. "
Hrm, that image would really imply a portable outing, seeing as how those protagonists all performed on the GBA or DS. 6 players wouldn't make mush sense either. That piece of artwork is awesome though.
Avatar image for xyzygy
#17 Posted by xyzygy (10595 posts) -
@evoxpisces1 said:
" OoE was amazing, PoR is decent too. I have not played the Sorrow games, for some reason they don't seem to interest me. But I'll give them a shot one day. HoD is my favorite and I'd be blissful if they made a DS sequel for it! "
I've played Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin and Aria is the best out of them. Portrait is second, then Symphony, but they're still all awesome. I'm currently playing through Circle of the Moon.
Avatar image for agentj
#18 Posted by AgentJ (8995 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @evoxpisces1 said:
" OoE was amazing, PoR is decent too. I have not played the Sorrow games, for some reason they don't seem to interest me. But I'll give them a shot one day. HoD is my favorite and I'd be blissful if they made a DS sequel for it! "
I've played Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin and Aria is the best out of them. Portrait is second, then Symphony, but they're still all awesome. I'm currently playing through Circle of the Moon. "
You really need to play OOE if you get the chance. Quintessential Metoidvania.
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
#19 Posted by MercuryCrusader (265 posts) -

So...when's the next Castlevania game that isn't yet another Metroidvania or a 3D game of questionable quality?
Avatar image for icemael
#20 Posted by Icemael (6864 posts) -

Of course. A 6-player co-op Castlevania for Xbox Live. 
 
Wait, what?

Avatar image for agentj
#21 Posted by AgentJ (8995 posts) -
@MercuryCrusader said:
" So...when's the next Castlevania game that isn't yet another Metroidvania or a 3D game of questionable quality? "
What else is there? If you want a classic Castlevania, your best bet is the "Castlevania Rebirth" game on Wiiware.
@Icemael said:
" Of course. A 6-player co-op Castlevania for Xbox Live.  Wait, what? "
+1
+1
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
#22 Posted by MercuryCrusader (265 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
What else is there? If you want a classic Castlevania, your best bet is the "Castlevania Rebirth" game on Wiiware. "

What do you mean "what else is there" as if the classic Castlevania style is absolutely not an option whatsoever.  Anyways, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth ruled. Could use more of that.
Avatar image for frankfartmouth
#23 Posted by frankfartmouth (1048 posts) -

I could go for a new 2D Metroidvania about every 6 months. There's no other franchise out there that's been able to pawn off the same recycled shit on me with such success. I never get sick of them. Great news

Avatar image for agentj
#24 Posted by AgentJ (8995 posts) -
@MercuryCrusader said:
" @AgentJ said:
What else is there? If you want a classic Castlevania, your best bet is the "Castlevania Rebirth" game on Wiiware. "
What do you mean "what else is there" as if the classic Castlevania style is absolutely not an option whatsoever.  Anyways, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth ruled. Could use more of that. "
I'm just not a huge fan of the classic Castlevanias. The only one I have enjoyed was IV.
Avatar image for icemael
#25 Edited by Icemael (6864 posts) -
@AgentJ said:

" @MercuryCrusader said:

" @AgentJ said:
What else is there? If you want a classic Castlevania, your best bet is the "Castlevania Rebirth" game on Wiiware. "
What do you mean "what else is there" as if the classic Castlevania style is absolutely not an option whatsoever.  Anyways, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth ruled. Could use more of that. "
I'm just not a huge fan of the classic Castlevanias. The only one I have enjoyed was IV. "
Have you played Rondo of Blood?
Avatar image for fearbeard
#26 Posted by Fearbeard (877 posts) -

I'd love it if it turned out to be Castlevania HD, for XBLA or PSN.  A high def 2D Metroidvania?  Yes please.

Avatar image for raviolisumo
#27 Posted by RavioliSumo (2191 posts) -

I think that's a terrible name. I'm hoping for a good looking 2d game on consoles.

Avatar image for agentj
#28 Posted by AgentJ (8995 posts) -
@Icemael: I haven't.
Avatar image for icemael
#29 Posted by Icemael (6864 posts) -
@AgentJ: If you ask me, it's by far and away the best classic Castlevania. You should get it. It's been released on PSP in the three-game compilation Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (you get a 2.5D remake of Rondo of Blood, the original, 2D version of the game, and Symphony of the Night), and if I'm not mistaken, you can get it on Wiiware as well.
Avatar image for nilsmueller
#30 Posted by nilsmueller (5 posts) -

Cool thanks for this news...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.