Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania

Franchise »

The Castlevania franchises chronicles the ongoing fight against Count Dracula by the Belmont family and their allies. To this day, Dracula continues to pose a threat to the world.

Why is it no one talks about Castlevania?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

I shouldn't say no one one talks about castlvania but it seems people rarely discuss anything about it or suggest it.

Take this thread for example.  Almost no one is going to list a castlevania game on that list except me.

GTA: Chinatown Wars
    Chrono Trigger (suggested 3 times)
    Rhythm Heaven
    Dragon Quest 4
    Dragon Quest 5
    Dragon Quest Heroes
    Final Fantasy 4
    Ace Attorney
    Professor Layton
    The World Ends with You

Seriously?  What the hell is with all these RPGs being suggested?  It isn't that I hate RPGs, I just hate that seems to be the only suggested item on this?  Given a few exceptions hear and there of course.

For christ sakes, you can pick up a used copy for $15 dollars and a New one will cost $30, that is cheaper than most DS games.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By VWGTI

I like the DS Castlevania games, but I only think the first one was a must play. Dawn of Sorrow I think it was called...The other were kinda meh in a way.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Because the Castlevania games that I've played haven't really impressed me.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tylea002

Why don't they?

I thought Dracula is still a threat.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Well, the Dragon Quest games awesome.  Don't get me wrong, I f**king love Castlevania but, it seems like NOT many people are into those games anymore.

EDIT: Had to many people, lol.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

I think they're great, especially Symphony of the Night. Thing is though, I can't really think of anything to talk about, at least, nothing terribly interesting.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

I always suggest the DS Castlevania games.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

If I had bothered to even look at the thread, I probably would have recommended Castlevania.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Luke

Dawn of Sorrow is the buggiest out of all of them, with a ton of exploits and sequence breaks that can be done.  This includes going through locked doors and walls... all kinds of crap to skip areas you shouldn't be able to.

Unfortunately, I still liked it the best out of all of the DS ones, if that's saying anything :'(  AoS was better on the GBA.

Konami really needs to put out a triple AAA 2D Castlevania one of these days.  One that's on 360/PS3/Wii, with an amazing art style.  One where they actually have their QA Team do their job.  One where it's up to par with MGS.  Now that would be the most amazing thing EVER! :p

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

Had I seen that thread, I would definitely have suggested the Castlevania games. Best video game series ever.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ

You kidding me? I recommend OOE every time i get a chance. BTW OOE is awesome

CallMeRotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CallMeRotten

I think the series just needs one proper release that isn't on a handheld to really get back on track. I really hope that this "next-gen" game they have in the works will be the one, IGA seems to have a lot of trouble making the transition from 2D to 3D, plus from interviews it seems that Castlevania has a bigger following in the states than in Japan. I kinda get the impression he really wants to work on something else but is stuck working on Castlevania games hah.

With games like Devil May Cry, God of War, hell even Odin Sphere you can see that the genre can improve and evolve. Now if IGA can just catch up and make the leap to the big two (360 & PS3) and produce a top notch modern Castlevania then it's win-win all around.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ineedaname

I like them, but they're not my game of choice and I feel if I play one CV then play another they're the same game =/ maybe I've not played, of either of them for differences to become noticeable.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Icemael
    CallMeRotten said:
    I think the series just needs one proper release that isn't on a handheld to really get back on track. ... [more]
    Odin Sphere is not a good example to use when talknig about "evolution" and "improvement". The game is beautiful, and the story is really nice, but the gameplay...
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By Heartagram

I still really like Castlevania but i think the reason a lot of people tend to forget or exclude them is probably because they are all very similar could just be some crazy theory but yeah just a guess

About the RPG thing i think its just that people like them because they are long and you get your "money" worth out of them. Personally I'm not that into RPGs on a handheld i always buy them and play them for about an hour.

Woot 100th post

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By meptron

I never really liked Dawn of Sorrow. Way too much grinding was required to get rare monster souls. I guess you don't need to get all the souls to finish the game... but you do need some to make some of the cooler weapons, and unlock the best abilities.

But to answer your question, I think that Castlevania just isn't a popular series anymore. The people who like those games like them a lot, but the series doesn't appeal to the majority of gamers anymore... at least not enough to make a top 10 list.
    CallMeRotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CallMeRotten
    Icemael said:
    CallMeRotten said: I think the series just needs one proper release that isn't on a handheld to really get back ... [more]
    I should have been more specific. For Odin Sphere I was talking more about the graphics and not so much the gameplay.
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Look what I made.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

because bar the GBA and DS releases of castlevania the last good one was SOTN the psp remake off rondo of blood blew chunks and the SOTN remake in it wasn't very good either it wasn't what was promised.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Why would you judge the franchise "bar the GBA and DS releases" anyway? There's more of those than of the few games you found so bad.

I thought Rondo of Blood includes a SOTN port, not a remake. What's wrong with it? It's even supposed to have the extra content of the Saturn version which never made it out of Japan. If it's a direct port of that, then it's lost some effects in the process (like transparent fog the Saturn couldn't do) but the extra content (playable Maria, Secret Garden, etc) should make up for that and is probably preffered by fans. Edit: I just read about the bugs. I guess you can't complete it 200.6% if it freezes every time you call a familiar. That sucks. Still, the GBA/DS games make up for it.

ADDTasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ADDTasty
    TheJollyRajah said:
    Look what I made. [more]
    That's awesome dude!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.