Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

I finally got around to playing catherine

• 54 results
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By kingzetta

I like it waaaaaaaay more than I should. The graphic are fucking amazing!
    God damn if Persona 5 looks this great and the story is this good, it'll be the best thing ever.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Glad you're enjoying it, duder. Beware of ice blocks. God speed.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The soundtrack is the best part

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingzetta

Uncharted and LA Norie look amazing, but they look good in a CG way. Catherine is fucking art.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baillie

I hated it, what an awful game. GiantBomb's endurance run does not warrant Catherine a pass.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingzetta
    @OllyOxenFree said:

Glad you're enjoying it, duder. Beware of ice blocks. God speed.

yeah I died like 20 times on that level
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kingzetta
    @Baillie said:

I hated it, what an awful game. GiantBomb's endurance run does not warrant Catherine a pass.

yeah they should not do an ER of it, but an ER of Xenoblade might be good.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

Catherine owns, 2nd best game of the year

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Catolf
    @Baillie said:

they.. were never going to do a ER of Catherine. That was stated clearly when Catherine was announced for the US. XP They already did a long quicklook. But there are other games out there duder, i hope you find a game you like.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Baillie

@Catolf: @kingzetta: No, no, I know they didn't do an endurance run of it. I meant Catherine shouldn't get a 'pass' as a good game just because GiantBomb did an endurance run of Persona 4... If you get me? Sorry for the confusion! :P

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Catolf
    @Baillie: Wait.. you think I like the game because of giantbomb? *snort* R U SRS? I don't have this avatar here because of giantbomb, I have it cause I genuinely liked the game, enough that i own both the Japanese and English versions of it.

Also.. I'm not a fan of persona 4.. it's not a great game, good yes, great no, Persona 3 is (for me!) far superior.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Baillie: I love everything about Catherine except for playing it.

I'm of the opinion that it should've been about a guy who had trouble facing the realities of adulthood, of becoming a father, of committing to a woman he knows he loves, but isn't sure if he's in love with her. The nightmare stuff was neat, but the supernatural elements were unnecessary. I was hooked by the drama of the situation, and the fact that Vincent is actually a really decent guy.

Gameplay was utter, utter shit, though.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

@KingWilly said:

I'm of the opinion that it should've been about a guy who had trouble facing the realities of adulthood, of becoming a father, of committing to a woman he knows he loves, but isn't sure if he's in love with her. The nightmare stuff was neat, but the supernatural elements were unnecessary. I was hooked by the drama of the situation, and the fact that Vincent is actually a really decent guy.

gameplay was amazing, I'll have you know

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Catolf
    @Animasta said:

@KingWilly said:

gameplay was amazing, I'll have you know

gameplay was not shit, rather addictive if you ask me.
    Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By countinhallways

Still not out in Europe. Damn localisation. Or whatever it is that is actually causing this delay.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Baillie said:

@Catolf: @kingzetta: No, no, I know they didn't do an endurance run of it. I meant Catherine shouldn't get a 'pass' as a good game just because GiantBomb did an endurance run of Persona 4... If you get me? Sorry for the confusion! :P

Your logic is baffling. You know that Jeff reviewed Catherine and gave it a low score, right? So people on GB apparently like Catherine because of their ER, despite their review lambasting it? Bartender, I'll have whatever this user is having. I'll certainly grant you that the ER got more people interested in Catherine initially, but believing people are fooling themselves into liking it after having actually played it because of having watched a Persona 4 ER makes you sound like a kooky internet psychologist.

Anyways, I had a chance to finally play through Catherine, as well. It's not a good game. Not terrible, but the story is pretty horrible, you can tell who is behind the whole thing within the first 5 minutes of the game (I was hoping the entire time that it wasn't that obvious, but it is), Vincent is a sniveling scumbag of a main character, Catherine is a terrible secondary "love interest", and they could have done far more with the choices/text replies/morality system than they did.

It does look nice, though, and the gameplay is fun (though I wish you could rotate the camera around 360 degrees, as the controls switching on you when you're climbing behind things is really disorienting). I did like Vincent's friends, Erica, and Katherine... It's a shame the game wasn't about any one of them instead of Vincent.

I realize there are people out there who like Vincent and think it's a moving story of a guy coming to terms with adulthood, but come the fuck on -- after three nights of waking up with some stranger in your bed, you're completely retarded if you're a) not questioning her about what the fuck is going on; b) telling your goddamn fiancee, cause this is a full on affair and you're a scumbag for cheating on her, and c) STOPPING DRINKING BECAUSE CLEARLY YOU'RE DOING SHIT YOU REGRET WHEN YOU DRINK LATE AT NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT, AND CANT REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED.

"Derp, oh man, I got plastered last night and don't remember anything. Woah, stranger in my bed! wtf happened?!?! Oh well, I'll just get plastered again tonight, and every other night, and not actually try to figure anything out or resolve anything till some guy just blurts out the whole fucking plot to me a week from now,"

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Commisar123

I still don't know how I feel about that game. If I had to give it a score it would be ?/5. That being said it is one of my favorite games that came out this year.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18  Edited By natetodamax

It's alright. The twist in the game is completely stupid though.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Baillie

@PixelPrinny: I may be a kooky internet psychologist, but there is no way this forum would even be remotely active if it wasn't for the Persona 4 Endurance Run, in fact, before the ER I don't think I saw any posts about Shin Megami games at all. Catherine came out and everyone wanted it to be the new ER, it didn't happen so people played it themselves and I truly believe most have forced themselves to look beyond everything and praise it for being by Atlus.

It's the same with Deadly Premonition. That game is absolutely awful and no one would have said they enjoyed it if it wasn't for the ER. Persona 4 was actually a good game, and that's what made it special.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Baillie said:

@PixelPrinny: Catherine came out and everyone wanted it to be the new ER, it didn't happen so people played it themselves and I truly believe most have forced themselves to look beyond everything and praise it for being by Atlus.

That's a new one.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Baillie: Even people who like Deadly Premonition will agree that the game side of it is terrible. They enjoyed the quirky and absurd story and characters.

I wont deny that the Persona 4 ER drew attention to Catherine from a crowd at Giantbomb but as for what you are assuming that is ridiculous.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Baillie

@Resident4t: Maybe. I just think people are giving it praise (more than it deserves) because Atlus seem to be pretty untouchable on GiantBomb.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Baillie said: 

@Resident4t: Maybe. I just think people are giving it praise (more than it deserves) because Atlus seem to be pretty untouchable on GiantBomb.

That's odd, because I recall there being several people who didn't like Catherine and had no problems stating their displeasure with it. Also, I disliked Devil Survivor, which is an Atlus game. 

You're just overgeneralizing.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Catolf
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@Baillie said: 

That's odd, because I recall there being several people who didn't like Catherine and had no problems stating their displeasure with it. Also, I disliked Devil Survivor, which is an Atlus game. 

I think they forget that 2 out of five that it was given here..XP No, everyone did not like catherine, though i will admit that GB did shine a light on the SMT/atlus games in general, being a small company i bet it was nice to get a few new fans their way.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Catolf said:
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@Baillie said: 

I think they forget that 2 out of five that it was given here..XP No, everyone did not like catherine, though i will admit that GB did shine a light on the SMT/atlus games in general, being a small company i bet it was nice to get a few new fans their way.
    They made Atlus become mainstream. I DON'T FUCKIN' LIKE IT! 

Also, Catherine is bloody amazing. The gameplay is addicting, the characters are awesome(Well, i didn't liked Catherine, nor Katherine, but that's ok.), the story is cool, and the True Cheater ending is awesome.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By Hailinel

@Baillie said:

Talk to Video_Game_King about Devil Survivor sometime. See where that gets you.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Bocam

@Hailinel: Why do you want to torture him so?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By McGhee

Catherine is a fun and unique game. What other game is half bar simulator and half block puzzling?

I hope they take the art style and transfer it to Persona 5. That would be amazing.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:

@Baillie said:

Does he like it or hate it?
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jking47

Also a huge fan of Catherine, didn't know if I would like the block puzzle aspect but that shit is great, I had dreams about those puzzles more than once lol

The story twist was a little lame, but I went with it and it really wasn't as terrible as everyone says. Though Vincent is a little bit of a dumbass sometimes (I mean wtf tell your fiance that you messed up, don't keep going back to the same bar every night and getting shit-faced then be surprised when you wake up with the same girl.) but no big most main characters act like dumbasses at some point.

I guess my point is that I loved the game even with the issues it had.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BionicRadd

@Baillie said:

@PixelPrinny: I may be a kooky internet psychologist, but there is no way this forum would even be remotely active if it wasn't for the Persona 4 Endurance Run, in fact, before the ER I don't think I saw any posts about Shin Megami games at all. Catherine came out and everyone wanted it to be the new ER, it didn't happen so people played it themselves and I truly believe most have forced themselves to look beyond everything and praise it for being by Atlus.

It's the same with Deadly Premonition. That game is absolutely awful and no one would have said they enjoyed it if it wasn't for the ER. Persona 4 was actually a good game, and that's what made it special.

This may sound weird, but I played the demo for Catherine and totally loved it, so i sorta....bought it. The opinions of people on the internet had no bearing on my enjoyment of the game. As a puzzler, I found the mechanics to be addictive, challenging and rewarding. More power to you for not liking it, but that doesn't mean that people that do like it do so for artificial reasons. I don't even disagree with Jeff's review of the game, as I think all his points are totally valid. However, the things that ruined the game for him had zero effect on me. Also, unlike most, I could give two shits about the story. I just really enjoyed the actual gameplay.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I loved the gameplay in Catherine, despite my dislike for Vincent as a character and an issue or two with the way the story played out and how your choices affect things. It was a fantastic game, probably some of the most fun I had all year despite the punishing difficulty it can throw at you before you get used to the mechanics.

@Baillie said:

That's kind of a ridiculous assumption. Some people like the game, some people don't, both sides are pretty vocal even here. The staff doesn't even like Catherine that much and regularly mock it when it comes up in the Bombcast. It's not like people enjoying the game is limited entirely to people who like the Endurance Run, and it's pretty insulting to insinuate as much.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel

@Bocam said:

@Hailinel: Why do you want to torture him so?

It'd teach him a lesson. :P

@kingzetta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Baillie said:

Does he like it or hate it?

To hear him tell it, he despises the game with every fiber of his being.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta

goodupdategoodupdategoodupdategoodupdate

babel is a fucking dick, can't even to menhir or obelisk D:

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Turambar

@Hailinel said:

@Baillie said:

I think I missed that era of the forums. And everyone that mentions it does so in hushed fearful tones.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel

@Turambar said:

@Hailinel said:

@Baillie said:

I think I missed that era of the forums. And everyone that mentions it does so in hushed fearful tones.

That's because bringing it up is like summoning Beetlejuice.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kingzetta
    @Turambar said:

@Hailinel said:

@Baillie said:

and the era of trophyhunter
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Turambar
    @kingzetta said:
    @Turambar said:

@Hailinel said:

@Baillie said:

Man I miss everything.  Where's FrankCanada and his GB retrospectives when we need him.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kingzetta
    @Turambar said:
    @kingzetta said:
    @Turambar said:

@Hailinel said:

@Baillie said:

Man I miss everything.  Where's FrankCanada and his GB retrospectives when we need him.
    well don't worry trophyhunter is still around
    NeutralDensity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By NeutralDensity

@Animasta said:

goodupdategoodupdategoodupdategoodupdate

babel is a fucking dick, can't even to menhir or obelisk D:

Yeah I know! I cannot even beat Altar. How the hell do people beat these. I do not even want to think about what Axis Mundi is like! O_O

@PixelPrinny said:

@Baillie said:

Your logic is baffling. You know that Jeff reviewed Catherine and gave it a low score, right? So people on GB apparently like Catherine because of their ER, despite their review lambasting it? Bartender, I'll have whatever this user is having. I'll certainly grant you that the ER got more people interested in Catherine initially, but believing people are fooling themselves into liking it after having actually played it because of having watched a Persona 4 ER makes you sound like a kooky internet psychologist.

Anyways, I had a chance to finally play through Catherine, as well. It's not a good game. Not terrible, but the story is pretty horrible, you can tell who is behind the whole thing within the first 5 minutes of the game (I was hoping the entire time that it wasn't that obvious, but it is), Vincent is a sniveling scumbag of a main character, Catherine is a terrible secondary "love interest", and they could have done far more with the choices/text replies/morality system than they did.

It does look nice, though, and the gameplay is fun (though I wish you could rotate the camera around 360 degrees, as the controls switching on you when you're climbing behind things is really disorienting). I did like Vincent's friends, Erica, and Katherine... It's a shame the game wasn't about any one of them instead of Vincent.

I realize there are people out there who like Vincent and think it's a moving story of a guy coming to terms with adulthood, but come the fuck on -- after three nights of waking up with some stranger in your bed, you're completely retarded if you're a) not questioning her about what the fuck is going on; b) telling your goddamn fiancee, cause this is a full on affair and you're a scumbag for cheating on her, and c) STOPPING DRINKING BECAUSE CLEARLY YOU'RE DOING SHIT YOU REGRET WHEN YOU DRINK LATE AT NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT, AND CANT REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED.

"Derp, oh man, I got plastered last night and don't remember anything. Woah, stranger in my bed! wtf happened?!?! Oh well, I'll just get plastered again tonight, and every other night, and not actually try to figure anything out or resolve anything till some guy just blurts out the whole fucking plot to me a week from now,"

I finished the game not too long ago and I am pretty much where you are at on it. That was amazing that you figured out the culprit. I should pay more attention. My only complaint with your argument is that with the exception of the very first night and scenes after the bar when he is at home, you are making Vincent getting drunk at the bar if you want. Other than that, I agree with you on every other point. I tried both law and chaos paths and they do not affect what he does until the end. The story script just feels forced and annoying. I did have fun with the block puzzles (especially during the boss stages), but I do not feel compelled to play the game again.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Romination

@kingzetta said:

Uncharted and LA Norie look amazing, but they look good in a CG way. Catherine is fucking art.

I'm sorry, just because a game is good looking doesn't make it art.

There are other parts of it that I might defend as art, but I'm never going to talk about games as art because it LOOKS nice.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

it was good not awesome but if you asked me what was the most different game this year it would probably be this one and I look forward to games like this in the future.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I don't think it's fair to call Vincent a dick. I mean...

Catherine was sneaking in his apartment and having sex with him while he was asleep. Sure, he probably shouldn't have hidden the relationship from his girlfriend but I don't think that makes him a scumbag.

FunkyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FunkyFox

I found Catherine's gameplay to be crazy fun. When I'd go to sleep after playing it I'd be thinking about the puzzles for an hour or so and trying to think up tricks to do stuff. A few times I grew really frustrated, particularly the escort part, and the second to last boss. But I still loved how it played, with the caveat of needing the full 360 degree range of rotation.

And my enjoyment has nothing to do with it being Atlus.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mutha3
    @Hailinel said:

@Turambar said:

@Hailinel said:

@Baillie said:

That's because bringing it up is like summoning Beetlejuice.

I remember that. Totally unrelated threads, threads that had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with  Persona, SMT or whatever--

"What is your favorite piece of video game guitar music?"

Unsuspecting soul: "The battle theme from Devil Survivor!"
    *4 page derail*
      @Baillie said:

You're silly.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Baillie

@mutha3: You're SILLY!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mutha3
    @Baillie
     Periods>Exclamations marks.  Real talk.

But seriously, if someone cares enough about Jeff's opinion to be psychologically coaxed into liking something, You'd also care enough to mimick his opinion on the game-- which means hating it, in Catherine's case.
     @Romination said:

@kingzetta said:

I'm sorry, just because a game is good looking doesn't make it art.

There are other parts of it that I might defend as art, but I'm never going to talk about games as art because it LOOKS nice.

Catherine is definitely the prettiest game released this year for me, though. It makes me sad that they're probably going to completely disregard it for "best graphics"  for this year's GOTY.
    Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kandycane2029

I just remembered I need to finish this game.... I started playing it the same time my brother did, but I ended up walking by at the wrong time, caught some late game spoilers and decided to put it off. Amazing game and soundtrack.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MikeGosot
    Ooh, i totally forgot to mention, but Catherine has the most amazing and powerful cutscene ever in the history of videogames. I mean it needs to be said. Nothing compares to that scene in particular... FUCKIN' NOTHING.  
    Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Juno500

@Baillie said:

That is completely false.

I mean, Persona 2 came out in September with almost no attention from this site. Same with Etrian Odyssey 3 in 2010, and that game was fucking amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.