Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Is Catherine... Offensive?

• 65 results
    EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By EXTomar

I thought the theme behind Catherine was an interesting if not excellent idea wrapped around a stupid if not infuriating block path/climbing puzzle game.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By EvilKatarn

@ahaisthisourchance said:

2012: The year everyone got offended by everything.

People need to grow a thicker skin. I mean come on.

Also: fuck kotaku

This, seriously.

There's so much fucking articles about people getting offended about non-issues that I'm about to get offended.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Animasta

I love how everyone is talking very specifically about the end of the game when the OP hasn't even played it yet.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Vincent was the only unlikeable character in the game. Katherine wasn't a control freak, she was getting pissed at her long-time boyfriend's refusal to get off his ass and advance the relationship or his life; he was perfectly happy staying in his little rut of getting to sleep with her without being committed to marriage, and being able to live in a sloppy apartment with a mediocre job because they weren't living together. He gets to slack off, drink, spend time with his friends in the bar, has a hot girlfriend, and wastes any money he does get on shit like new cell phones instead of doing anything meaningful, and she's put up with it for years- you enter Catherine at the point where she's finally starting to get fed up with his bullshit.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Binman88

@Gamer_152 said:

I can see how the way Catherine portrays women could be offensive to some, but I respect the attitude Love is taking.

Honest question: how?

I haven't played the game, but are there actually any sweeping generalisations made of women in the game, or is it purely the personalities of the two most prominent female characters in the game that could somehow cause offense?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By EXTomar

Meh, I don't think it is "portrayal" of either Catherine or Katherine that is the problem where Vincent is shown as a shiftless slacker who refuses to commit to important decisions. So what if Catherine is smexy or Katherine is a nag, why is no one complaining Vincent is a stereotypical often assigned to gamers?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Animasta

@Binman88 said:

@Gamer_152 said:

I can see how the way Catherine portrays women could be offensive to some, but I respect the attitude Love is taking.

Honest question: how?

I haven't played the game, but are there actually any sweeping generalisations made of women in the game, or is it purely the personalities of the two most prominent female characters in the game that could somehow cause offense?

you could argue that the moral of the story could be kinda offensive but again the OP hasn't even played the game yet so I shant say any more

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By ThePickle

I left pretty annoyed at the ending. Perhaps even offended that Atlas thought that ending was worthy of any sort of price tag.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MikeJFlick

@audioBusting: Yeah no kidding, hopefully when I eventually get the game(which I will sooner or later) that I don't remember that............

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By bacongames

The more stories of this I read, the more I realize how much I tie up portrayals with authorship. Basically poor/offensive portrayals --> poor/lazy/bad authorship --> ignore it or call it out for that reason. I tend to never draw a direct line between something like a game's portrayal of sex or race and my decision to criticize or avoid playing it. It's why I'm able to enjoy something like Far Cry 3 and be all like, yeah that story/race stuff is kinda busted, but whatever I can kind of ignore that. The benefit to calling out "better stories" instead of "be less racist/sexist" is that by doing the former you get the latter but are likely to be less controversial (and thus less productive) and also preserve a bit of the ambiguity of media interpretation.

As far as the thread topic itself, from what I can tell the plot is dissonant and the characterization falls apart as a result. I guess it's unfortunate that the two Catherines are more caricatures for the purpose of said plot than people in and of themselves. But I guess that's Catherine for ya.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By Yadilie

@alevan said:

Recently read a kotaku article

"..she's ever played".

Found your two problems.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Her loss.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#63  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Anything and everything can be offensive to someone somewhere.

alevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By alevan

.@Sanj said:

Anything and everything can be offensive to someone somewhere.

I know people have said that many times but I wanted the gb community's opinions on the matter.

Also I love AKG. Loved them as a teen and even more now even though I'm older and my taste and knowledge of music have changed to mare american rock.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SharkEthic

If Anita Sarkeesian, Christine Love and the likes didn't get offended about every little fucking thing, they'd have nothing to talk/tweet about and therefore wouldn't get the attention they so desperately crave.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.