Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Jeff might not like this game, but I do.

• 90 results
    generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By generic_ninja

I honestly think Jeff just took this game under his review wing since it was just an Atlus made game and it was either him or Vinny that would be able to review it would could actually enjoy the craziness that this game entails. 

I personally think that this game is great, I'm not going to go on an entire rant on why I think Jeff is wrong in everything he said on the Bombcast earlier this week, Mabey this game was a bit to anime crazy weird drama/sim game for him. I think the block puzzles are fun and being able to get different opinions once you hit each sub-area on how to make different paths to get up to the top makes the game challenging in a fun way, I actually get really big chills when I see Vincent getting to the brink of instanity as both Kathrine with a K and Cathrine with a C just gives me a certain rush of whats actually going to happen at the end of my playhrough.  

Kinda went on a small rant but I was excited for this game and listening the Bombcast really gave my second thoughts on if I should actually go to the Gamespot to purchase this game, I'm glad I did, If you like Puzzles and crazy anime drama you might want to give this a try.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

The fuck I know.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington

Mabey is an interesting way to spell maybe.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Personally I really enjoy the puzzles. I've only had serious trouble on a few of them (though I am playing on Easy due to the reputed difficulty, but I've read from some posters playing on Normal that it's still not that abusive) so I don't really understand where Jeff's aggressive hatred for the block puzzles are coming from. I suppose it's just not everyone's cup of tea, sadly.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

glad to hear that you enjoy it. For me, the simple block puzzles do not look fun at all. The story stuff really interests me but I'm not getting the game.

Don't let one man run how you discuss a game.

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KingPossum

There is a decent following streaming various playthroughs on JustinTV. Personally I don't know about the block puzzles but I like the crazy story alot from what I've seen. (and i watched an entire playthrough*) 

I'm guessing this game isn't Jeff's thing at all. "Anime is for jerks" and all doesn't really lead itself to be very open-minded about what this product was created for in the first place. 

The Love is Over edition sure spells it out. Its more of a fan service anime with game trappings to keep you coming back for the eight different endings. If you're not in it for that in any form then the whole package is hard to get into. 

*harem ending

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hector

I think it's a great game. I love the style and story. I see it more as an interactive anime and I'm more the happy with that.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

@KingPossum said:

There is a decent following streaming various playthroughs on JustinTV. Personally I don't know about the block puzzles but I like the crazy story alot from what I've seen. (and i watched an entire playthrough*) I'm guessing this game isn't Jeff's thing at all. "Anime is for jerks" and all doesn't really lead itself to be very open-minded about what this product was created for in the first place. The Love is Over edition sure spells it out. Its more of a fan service anime with game trappings to keep you coming back for the eight different endings. If you're not in it for that in any form then the whole package is hard to get into. *harem ending

boy thanks for spoiling the ending jerk

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dillonwerner

I'm scared to buy it because I might regret it, but it looks so damn interesting! 

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

I didn't buy it for Jeff, so I could care less if he likes it or not. 

Pff. Jeff....

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donchipotle

I think Ryan's comment on the issue was spot on.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By onarum
    @Generic_Ninja: Jeff is not wrong and neither are you, you two just have different opinions that's all.

@Hector said:

I see it more as an interactive anime and I'm more the happy with that.

well, there you go, that single sentence explains it all, I believe it's quite widespread how Jeff feels about anime, that is also the same reason why I wouldn't touch this game with a  60 foot pole.
    jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jaymorgoth

What I find funny is these threads, as if Jeff is the only opinion out there. I respect the man and actually agree with him, but if I don't take his opinion as the only thing to go on. Even he has said it's his opinion and he is not the only authority out there, he even encourages people to look at several opinions not his. So Jeff doesn't like a game you like, just like you he is entitled to his opinion as well. Either you agree or don't.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Animasta

@onarum: honestly if more anime had plots like this, I would watch way more anime than I do. Even if it is "just anime", it is anime about 30 year olds, which makes it miles better than anime about teenagers (and teenagers that look like 10 year olds)

and yeah, I've basically stopped listening to jeff at all, because my taste and his are so wildly different anyways.

edit: vvv awww, I was just kidding :) I read the achivement names anyway, so I know what comin up.

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KingPossum
    @Laketown:  Harem ending means nothing like what you think at all, so I'm not spoiling a damn thing. In fact its totally different than what you can think of what it would be (its screwed up in translation) so its not a spoil in any way. 

I didn't throw any spoilers out.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hockeymask27

You might no like NHL 11 but I do. Its all a matter of opinion. It won't get a horrible score because it seems functional as a game it just won't get five stars in the opinion of Jeff.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan

Now the fun part is watching all the people with Catherine avatars say predictable things.

I hope it's as fun as all the Deadly Premonition avatars.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By papercut

I'm finding it really hard to like vincent as a character. having the protagonist a cheater whether he really wants to be doing it or not is bound to just rub some people the wrong way and I'm one of them. On top of that I don't feel like anything I do really has an impact on the story. It sounds like the moral choice system just effects his inner monologue and all the big decision making is at the very end of the game. I haven't beat it yet though so I could be wrong.

Also, I fucking hate the block puzzels. There doesn't seem to be that many ways to solve them, and I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall to brute force my way through most of them. Hate the block puzzels, yet I beat all 64 of the Rapunzel levels. So what do I know about anything.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By ThePickle

Something about the Catherine rant seemed... off. His reasons all seemed very petty and poorly backed up. I'll see for myself.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

If it gets three stars, does it matter.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dany

@Claude said:

it matters to crazy people.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By toowalrus

Isn't it universally known that Gerstmann has a terrible taste in games?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By bacongames

This is actually one of the few instances where despite high expectations, the editors have properly articulated how I would feel about a game. Granted the review isn't up yet but this is a marked improvement over the mixed messages and kinda vague gripes associated with Ms. Splosion Man.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By niamahai

@TooWalrus said:

You better be hiding lil' man.

You better be.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#25  Edited By donutfever
    @niamahai said:

@TooWalrus said:

You better be hiding lil' man.

You better be.

This. I agree with him on most things.
    joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joshth

I understand kind of what your saying.  Because I really respect Jeff as a writer/reviewer/gamer and seeing someone I respect not like something that I really like can be frustrating.
    jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By jdquach

@papercut said:

I'm finding it really hard to like vincent as a character. having the protagonist a cheater whether he really wants to be doing it or not is bound to just rub some people the wrong way and I'm one of them. On top of that I don't feel like anything I do really has an impact on the story. It sounds like the moral choice system just effects his inner monologue and all the big decision making is at the very end of the game. I haven't beat it yet though so I could be wrong.

Also, I fucking hate the block puzzels. There doesn't seem to be that many ways to solve them, and I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall to brute force my way through most of them. Hate the block puzzels, yet I beat all 64 of the Rapunzel levels. So what do I know about anything.

Exactly how I feel about the game so far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hylianhero1991: Maybe I just have supreme patience, or I am the "puzzle wizard", but I've had very little "banging my head against the wall" moments in doing these puzzles. The puzzles that do provide a challenge I usually (with one or two exceptions) find very enjoyable and satisfying when figured out. 

Also, I kind of shared that opinion of Vincent early on, but as the game has progressed he starts becoming much more resolute. At this point in my game now he's much more determined and sure of himself and kicked Catherine to the curb. I think what we need to keep in mind is that this game takes place over the course of a week, basically, and Vincent in the beginning is scared and noncommittal. Though it may seem like a longer time than it was, Vincent was really only indecisive for a few days. 

I thought the more I played the game the more I would understand where Jeff is coming from but I feel like I'm understanding his complaints less and less.
    Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Eh, sometimes I totally agree with Jeff, sometimes I don't. Funny this came up, I was re-listening to the E3 Bombcast when they were talking with Jaffe, and reviews came up, Jeff actually said he'd love it if somebody read his review, listened to what he had to say and went and bought the game anyway because they essentially know him well enough to know the stuff he likes and has an idea if Jeff's and his tastes jam or not.  
    End of the day the review's subjective, it's Jeffs opinion. I can totally see why he said what he said about the game its completely valid, just like somebody loving the game is valid.
    tl:dr version- read the review, consider your own opinion, buy/don't buy accordingly.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Agent47
    @Dany: Actually when you get the hang of it and learn new teqniques it can be pretty fun but they are tedious because they tend to drag on and are frequent.Easy is definetly the way to go.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lukeweizer

Did you really need to specify with a K and with a C? You're spelling it, not saying it.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TotalEklypse

I don't like it either. Dunno why.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RE_Player1

I really like the puzzle gameplay after playing a lot of shooters lately. I find it very fun.

jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By jdquach

@Marokai: I just feel stupid when trying to figure out the puzzles sometimes. Having no idea what to do and just stumbling my way through it with constant trail and error. I remember spending about 20 retries on the second ice level before saying fuck it and just switched the difficulty to easy and flying through it. Though, this is not the games fault. Me not being in the right mindset or just being an idiot is to blame.

It feels like the opposite of Portal 2 in a sense, where after you figure out a puzzle you feel like a genius. Here, I just feel stupid and can't believe how long it took for me to figure it out.

Where I'm at in the story, Vincent just seems like a complete idiot. In the nightmare stuff in day 6 and was fuming about why he couldn't just break it off with Catherine. The Steve stuff was a perfect excuse! Just say that she's lying to you and break up with her!

Hoping he gets better later on like you said though. Everything else surrounding Vincent and the block puzzles are awesome. Love most of the characters and the visuals.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hylianhero1991 said: 

Hoping he gets better later on like you said though.

I think that mostly depends on you and your decisions, going from what he's been saying on Day 6 (after the nightmares) in my playthrough. 

And I totally disagree with the Portal 2 comparison. In Catherine, every time I finish a difficult puzzle and I apply the techniques that players learn on the landing in complicated situations, I feel like a genius. I really do feel as though I'm smart and I could totally do the same puzzle again so much faster because I wasn't just fumbling through the whole thing. In Portal 2, the puzzles mostly just bored me and they were way too easy for me to derive any fulfilment out of.
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36  Edited By me3639

@DillonWerner said:

I'm scared to buy it because I might regret it, but it looks so damn interesting!

You are close to my thoughts. I really want to play it, but nauseating through those pyramids over and over for 10-15 hours equals zero fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hylianhero1991: Yeah, probably my favorite thing about this game is the way it looks. Absolutely gorgeous. Excites me to think of a Persona game in this engine/art style.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By benjaebe
    @FluxWaveZ said:
     In Portal 2, the puzzles mostly just bored me and they were way too easy for me to derive any fulfilment out of.
    That's kind of my big problem with Portal 2. Valve playtests their games almost to a fault and Portal 2 lost a fair bit of difficulty because of it.
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daroki

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hylianhero1991 said:

Hoping he gets better later on like you said though.

I think that mostly depends on you and your decisions, going from what he's been saying on Day 6 (after the nightmares) in my playthrough. And I totally disagree with the Portal 2 comparison. In Catherine, every time I finish a difficult puzzle and I apply the techniques that players learn on the landing in complicated situations, I feel like a genius. I really do feel as though I'm smart and I could totally do the same puzzle again so much faster because I wasn't just fumbling through the whole thing. In Portal 2, the puzzles mostly just bored me and they were way too easy for me to derive any fulfilment out of.

Flux, do you get the feeling that those hints are coming just one level too late though? I've had many a time in discussing the techniques where I've found myself thinking, "It would have been nice if you told me that before I had to figure it out for myself".

Haven't listened to the Bombcast yet which I'll probably do tomorrow since I've been busy using my first playcation this year specifically for this game. (Lining up others for Dark Souls and maybe Uncharted 3 later this year... what the hell is the company I work for next year going to do when I get 5 Playcations instead of 3 in a calendar year.)

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Chop

I don't really care enough to fight about Catherine. I'll never touch the game again and I have no feelings, negative or otherwise, towards it.  

I will say there is one thing that I agree with Jeff on. The way the characters are written, they all come of as lacking even average intelligence. It ended up driving me up the wall in a few particular scenes, namely the twist reveal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know there were a couple people irritated at the thought of Jeff spoiling something on the bombcast in the Catherine story, and after just finishing my game I can at least say that Jeff was completely off and you guys have nothing to worry about.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kerse

The worst part about it is that there is 1 checkpoint per level that I've seen so if you die at the top you're running through that whole thing again over and over, especially on the "boss" stages. I am playing on normal and its really not that hard, just frustrating to redo the whole thing every time you die.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jetsetwillie

i think the puzzle sections looks pretty cool but to have to endure that anime dating sim that its wrapped in just puts me right off. 

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Pepsiman

@kerse: Later stages have multiple checkpoints. I played the Japanese version to completion pre-patch, so I don't really have any idea the extent to which the puzzles were altered for that and the American localization, but if things have stayed relatively similar to what I experienced, you'll be very grateful towards the end of the game that not all of the levels only have a single checkpoint. There's one level I can think of that breaks that trend, (again, assuming it stayed intact for the localized version), but that's also because it's much more compact in size than most of the other levels in the game, even compared to the early stuff.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By coakroach

If you dont like block puzzles then your playing the wrong game. 
    Jeff didn't seem to like the block puzzles.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Daroki said: 

Flux, do you get the feeling that those hints are coming just one level too late though? I've had many a time in discussing the techniques where I've found myself thinking, "It would have been nice if you told me that before I had to figure it out for myself".

I do feel as though most of the hints come late. Usually, I've executed one of the techniques before I even learned about it. But there are also many times when the techniques shown are very helpful and are needed to get through a following level.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#47  Edited By metalsnakezero

We should keep in mind that Jeff isn't in to puzzle games so it is understandable that he would like the stages. 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dbz1995
    @Chabbs0 said:

Mabey is an interesting way to spell maybe.

Mabey mabey is an interesting way to spell mabey?
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#49  Edited By MachoFantastico

Friend of mine as been playing an imported PS3 version and as spoken rather highly of it. It seems the game as been getting a positive response as an whole, but I understand Jeff's reasoning for not liking it. Mate did make the opinion that some of the writing isn't fantastic in spots.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By jkuc316
    @Dany said:

@Claude said:

it matters to crazy people.

And people who care about Metacritic Scores. A.K.A consumers(apparently, that's what got Bioshock to sell millions of copies)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.