Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cave Story

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Dec 20, 2004

Initially a freeware "Metroidvania"-style 2D platformer game created entirely by Daisuke Amaya for the PC, Cave Story follows the tale of a silent amnesiac in a long-winding cavern filled with monsters (including the friendly rabbit-like Mimigas). It received numerous enhanced ports by Nicalis for computers and Nintendo consoles.

Anyone playing Cave Story (+) on Steam for Mac?

cwilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cwilly

I picked up the gem as part of the Humble Indie Bundle pt. 4. I've put in about 20 hours in and marked off most of the achievements, but I've been playing with keyboard controls this whole time (as I don't have a controller for my Mac). Anybody out there recommend a nice traditional controller to get me off this path to finger arthritis that I'm on? Thanks!

cwilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cwilly

@cwilly: Update: Trying to finish Hell with keyboard controls has left me a beaten and broken man...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I played a little bit. I have a 13" MacBook from 2008 to use when I'm travelling, and it can actually run Cave Story+ without yelling and screaming at me with its fan. But I've only been using the keyboard. :(

EvilGreenDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By EvilGreenDevil

I picked it up over Christmas and have been using the revamped xbox360 controller with the improved D-pad. I flippin love the game so far but still can't decide on Original vs. New music/art.

Great game

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It shouldn't be that bad with the keyboard. I mean, Cave Story was originally a PC game afterall. It might be a bit easier with a gamepad, but I played Cave Story on PC with the keyboard without many problems.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By CountMacula

If I recall correctly, the PS3 controllers play quite nicely with OS X (that's assuming you own a PS3 of course).

cwilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cwilly

I was hanging in there with the keyboard controls as long as I could, but the intricate boosts (while shooting) in The Sacred Grounds bonus level was destroying me. I picked an el-cheapo Steelseries USB controller over the weekend and finally beat Ballos tonight. Not sure if I want to tackle Hard difficulty or not... Regardless, I can't believe I've put in 30+ hours on a Humble Bundle throw-in.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Dual-Vibration-Gaming-Controller/dp/B0036WTVNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1327479257&sr=1-1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.