CD Projekt Red hit with ransomware attack

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They don't think that the hackers got any player data which is good, and they have backups of the source code for Cyberpunk so I don't think this will have a large impact on fixing the game, but it still sucks.

Whatever you think of Cyberpunk or the company (and the fact that there is some irony in the subject matter of the game and this kind of futuristic crime) this is obviously a bad thing. I really hope the same "gamers" who tend to view video games and their personal grudges against game makers are the most important things in the world don't rally behind this as some kind of vigilante justice. It's not. It's just crime.

These breaches seem like they're getting more and more frequent and I wonder why it is that cybersecurity just seems totally incapable of keeping up with blackhat hackers. At some point the fundamental architecture of the Internet, which was originally designed for far fewer users who were all affiliated with institutions and trusted to some degree, may have to be rewritten to make this harder. Email standards have needed updating for a very long time. The patched together nature of computer security just isn't cutting it anymore, and as more and more things go online and get integrated Internet function we are more and more vulnerable.

Does anyone really think that autonomous Internet connected cars won't be hacked? Or if life support and other critical machines are Internet connected they won't be hacked and people's lives won't be held for ransom instead of just data?

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It was Cavill, wasn't it? He was supposed to use those muscley arms to build a computer for good, not evil.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: Those muscles are full of hacker juice, so he's not playing around.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Some very articulate points, particularly at the start. You’re right, it’s a crime plain and simple. I briefly scrolled Twitter (mistake) and then stopped, there seemed to be an overall lack of empathy and compassion for the human beings this affects.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Efesell  Online

I want actual hackers to be less cringe than the automated spam I get about webcams or whatever the fuck.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: So what I’m hearing is that you DON’T want to be EPICALLY pwned?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"Gamers" really are the fucking worst.

You know, I've come to believe that there are no ethical hackers. If this is what they do with their skill set and free time, when they could potentially help people instead, they just suck.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

While I'd hope nobody would want to publish stolen data period, the world of clicks and views isn't that naive. I would certainly hope, more realistically, that there wouldn't be anyone in journalism worth their salt who would even remotely entertain the idea of publishing personal information gleaned from admin and HR docs. Besides that, I'm not sure what more could come out about CDPR's work culture that would further tank their already bad reputation among those of us that care about staff care, bad PR/company direction etc.

Having your source code for already released games is probably a bad thing and a big deal but honestly I'm dumb and have no idea what the negative repercussions of that would be.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These breaches seem like they're getting more and more frequent and I wonder why it is that cybersecurity just seems totally incapable of keeping up with blackhat hackers.

yeah, i feel like the dam will break soon. i was just reading about this yesterday and honestly it feels like a ticking time bomb.

a lot of cybersec seems built on a foundation of social contract/etiquette versus hardened failsafes- so some chucklefuck will likely do something very damaging in the not too distant future.

i really dont mean to be the guy on the corner with the sandwich board and the tin hat exclaiming "CUT THE HARD LINE," but it does feel like we're due for an impactful c-sec disaster. the Equifax thing felt like it should have catalyzed change- but lo! white collar crime doesn't get punished. the politicians are old, the laws are old, and h4x0rs [people with ability] are only getting more disillusioned.

thank you for coming to my TEDx talk, presented by Eeyore Foundation.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks to be them.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if this was a PR stunt to sway public opinion of CD Projekt from abuser to victim; hire hackers or "hackers" to ransomeware your own company.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks to be them.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if this was a PR stunt to sway public opinion of CD Projekt from abuser to victim; hire hackers or "hackers" to ransomeware your own company.

So... their plan would be to institute a fake online attack, involve multiple agencies, and expose themselves to the possibility of criminal charges if this hypothetical PR stunt were revealed to be a PR stunt?

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
LapsarianGiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is no good. I have no love for CDPR but this is clearly just another nihilistic "gamer" crusade from someone who spends too much time online.

On a sidenote, I bet whoever hacked them is more upset about the bugs than the everything else...

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Efesell  Online
bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigsocrates

@lapsariangiraff: I bet the hackers who did this just wanted money. They might dress it up as something positive and maybe they went after CD Projekt Red in part because they were angry about a video game, but I think they're in it to steal and everything else is just excuses and misdirection.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they make it sound like they're about to whistleblow on some new shit, but I doubt that. Lame shit. Losers gonna be losers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they want to be helpful, they could use their galaxy brains to fix the game for them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

@shindig: That’s more a question of time than ability

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Such a shame. Hopefully just a coincidence that it's CDPR and that the hackers are just average criminals & the note is just some psychological warfare.

But if it turns out to be some targeted effort by some angered gamers, it'll show that some people live very sad lives.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this ain't actual 17 year old white boys in their moms basement, its not even an impression present day ones would make of their former selves. Reeks of third world country state actors with english learned from memes. Real "thinks crazy frog is funny still" energy

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't comment on how difficult something like this is but people are capable of anything, you can redesign and increase security all you want someone will always find a way in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.